Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
The main problem with the backupmenu idea is that it would capture any confidential information we have. The best option would be if someone would reflash their phone, install backupmenu and send you the two backup files. Then you could run backupmenu and restore with them. The other problem is that some people think that's illegal. I personally can't believe it's illegal to use that process to fix a phone you have legitimately.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Daneel View Post
So, there is no other option to flash the device without using the USB cable? How would they flash it then?
They might have a flashing jig that uses the contacts under the battery. However, even the flashing jig used by Nokia in Amsterdam appears to have used the USB port.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
I remember the flashing jigs i have seen back when i was a part of allaboutsymbian's staff and nokia used to like me but i have asked few people i know and like you said the jigs they have here use the USB.

BTW, with the assitance of a very helpful member of TMO i acquired a fresh backupmenu images and restored them to my N900, everything works except the USB

Also tried flashing without the battery. All i get is a contant orange/yellow glow from the led when i plug in the microUSB, no other signs of life.

I guess a trip to the official Nokia service center is inevitable, thanks a lot guys, you have been most helpful!

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
They might have a flashing jig that uses the contacts under the battery. However, even the flashing jig used by Nokia in Amsterdam appears to have used the USB port.
In the factory we used Phoenix flashers that work like you first mention. Unfortunately as Nokia closes some operations those seem to be reducing in number and getting harder to find...

Daneel,

You are describing exactly what happened to me. Trust me, in a little time even the led will stop flashing, as you have (people mentioned this in the other thread also) a broken/almost broken USB port. It is not a software issue. Go to the repairmen again, bring some documentation with you (lots of info in the broken usb port thread), and DEMAND they fix or replace (if it's still under warranty) your phone. Nokia has acknowledged this is their mistake...

EDIT: you can also speed up the process by harshly connecting and disconnecting the usb cable a few times.

The Following User Says Thank You to zlatokosi For This Useful Post:
I'm taking a trip to a certified Nokia Service Center tomorrow

Thanks for the help gang, i really appreciate it!

Last update.

I just go my phone back from a licensed Nokia Service Center. They said that the only way to repair the phone is to completely replace the motherboard which is really expensive and i can buy a second hand N900 for less.

I am really skeptical about this since the phone works fine if i use a charged battery with the exception of the device heating up a bit and the battery getting drained faster then usual but there is nothing i can do about it.
Once again, thanks for the help guys

Does anyone have a rootfs and optfs backupmenu backup that they could possibility send me? Im yet another n900 owner that has seen the usb port go ka-put I installed backupmenu but my optfs is also...ka-put. Any help would be very helpful

Posts: 502 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ /dev/null
I wonder how you even manage to keep you N900 alive without giving it the ability to charge in the first place.

The best idea is to get that microUSB port sorted, you won't get far without being able to do loads of things that would otherwise make one wait for a long time in order to get things transferred (if ever) through wireless interfaces such as 802.11 or bluetooth.

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
If you can't solder directly to the pins on the right side of the board, there's always the option to solder it to the flash pins at the bottom of the device (they're big, and have a lot of space around them, it should be easy). Look in the USB port thread.