Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
Very interesting talk on the dual screen. I actually happen to have both the Chinese version (6+128GB) and AT&T (4+64GB) of the Axon M.

It's a very good device but in my point of view it cannot replace HW keyboard for following:

- Typing on one screen still feels different than typing on physical keys
- Additional screen is more power consuming
- Dual screen is more vulnerable in a drop

But on the other hand, it's not easy to make to make a dual screen phone, engineering work and software needs a lot efforts. Salute to ZTE that have the will to try.
That’s awsome! Whats the differance. Can’t wait to see one in the wild.

An additional screen is all about visibility and productive work while typing. All arguments so far are/is invalid

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 697 | Thanked: 1,980 times | Joined on Jun 2015 @ Lisbon - Portugal
Back to this product. Livermorium had some good exposure with the Keyboard Mod with Motorola at CES, and we have started delivering to the backers.

However, this QWERTY product has been delayed because I put the remaining resources into helping delivering Youyota Tablet. And the process of Youyota Tablet so far has affected the timeline for this "Lauta" project severely, the progress also affected our view of having future official Sailfish OS collaboration.

Therefore, it might be to your disappointment, we will no longer seek Sailfish OS as the prime OS for this product. But I can assure you that I will move forward with the hardware work and seek for alternative Linux solutions.
Disapointed by reading these lines but you'll have your reasons. Was waiting for a real sailfish machine but after all these years i'm getting tired of an operating system that promised so much in the beggining and still does not deliver all the promisses. How i miss maemo and meego...

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to deutch1976 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Agreed, it's disappointing because I think having AlienDalvik is going to be a showstopper for some people who want to use SFOS on the new qwerty slider.

Maybe it's best as a separate goal, and we could do this a step as a time:
  • Step 1: chen produces the device, ships it with Android
  • Step 2: crowdfunding for SFOS port

Chen, you've alluded to the fact that Jolla have not been supportive so far. Is the problem that they don't see it as a worthwhile investment to port SFOS to the device for free, or is it something else? Or is it a question of how much money it would cost?

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
As said at the time in the Youyota thread when you mentioned putting some sweat (and/or money and/or time) in supporting the Youyota project to help overcoming the difficulties, I was crossing my fingers that it wouldn't be at the cost of the Livermorium phone (feasibility, features, expectations of a timeline).

Now this is sad news to me. I did invest about 300€ in the Youyota tablet, I and I hope I will get it and most of all I hope the Youyota company can overcome the financial issues because I like what they try to achieve (even besides the tablet), but the tablet is a product from the past and even the official Jolla version is barely supported by Jolla or independent application developers. It's a nice project, but can only have a limited impact. The Livermorium could be a game changer but any significant sacrifice to the original plan may hinder its reach.

The delay is a non-issue, we are all impatient but are also all expecting delays. It's frustrating, but as long as we are not talking about many years, the device should sell relatively well among TMO members. The change of target OS, however, is something. And depending on what kind of delays we are talking, I don't think there will be a proper functional Linux alternative for a smartphone when the device is ready to hit the market. Sadly, however I'm sure I will love the hardware, I am afraid I may be out if the phone only comes with an official Android support (or any of its better and more open clones), but I do understand that the vast majority of people who would back the product in a crowdfunding campaign will actually expect something Androidish, so I understand the cut. AlienDalvik is clearly a showstopper (which is sad too, by the way).

Then, again, I did know that none of the things listed in the original plan were set in stone or promises. I know all features can change depending on a variety of constraints, funding, sup[plies, time, or any of the many ways to fail along the long chain from the idea to the mass production. There may be other reasons that already compromised Sailfish as one of the official OSes for this phone at an earlier point, and I would totally understand. However you seemed pretty enthusiastic about this double OS option so far, and now it seems that the Youyota did have a noticeable impact in that decision, which I think can be regretted if it's the major factor.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2018-02-03 at 07:40.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 1,142 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Earth
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Playing the devil's advocate, I can think of quite a number of things:[list][*]An unnecessary cost increase for someone not needing them
On the other hand, the complain wasn't about a second 6" UHD screen (the most expensive part in a smartphone).

You'd be surprised how much a camera cost in a smartphone
HINT: there's a reason why smartphone camera for selfies has move away from a swivelling design (rotating the single camera between shooting and selfie position like on Sony Clié PDAs and some SDIO add-ons) to a the current popular dual-cam setup.

Occupying space that could be used by features I would use (e.g. more memory, an SD card slot, a second SIM slot...)
Which is completely a non-argument for anyone except maybe Apple and a few of its competitor who seem to be on a competition on who's going to make the thinnest phone possible with which you could cut cheese.

This project being a device with a physical keyboard (naturally thick), gaining 1mm at the detriment of standard ports (audio jack) wouldn't make sense.

On the other hand I am the kind of guys that PDA and smartphone have been already having a practical size since they aren't briefcase-sized anymore.

An extra feature to maintain, provide driver updates, etc.
That would be a valid argument against fingerprint. On the other hand they tend to be enormously useful in lots of modern apps (mostly banking, etc.)

An extra thing that could break, potentially affecting other things I would use
Again, luckily these are not moving parts (as the swivelling camera of old time) but mostly solid state with very few moving part (focus).

- Typing on one screen still feels different than typing on physical keys
Thank you for understanding what we hate with on-screen keyboards.

the progress also affected our view of having future official Sailfish OS collaboration.

Therefore, it might be to your disappointment, we will no longer seek Sailfish OS as the prime OS for this product.
Sad but well, you have your reasons.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DrYak For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by DrYak View Post
On the other hand, the complain wasn't about a second 6" UHD screen (the most expensive part in a smartphone).
How could it have two displays and a QWERTY? Flipping like this?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meego_leenooks1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Some progress has been made and a survey has been sent to some community members regarding this project. All the feedback is deeply appreciated.

Hint: No more crowdfunding in the future... (hopefully)

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Some progress has been made and a survey has been sent to some community members regarding this project. All the feedback is deeply appreciated.

No more crowdfunding? Never? Ever?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
This is good news. Can't wait to see the updates as they come.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
No more crowdfunding? Never? Ever?
Eternity is a very long time, Dave.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:

Tags
n950 revival, q-device, qwerty keyboard, sailfishos, sailingchen