The Following User Says Thank You to chan32167 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
This is the typical run-around, poor and uninterested customer service and communication that the Nokia brand name is becoming known for. I feel like I should sue for mental anguish and penalties over my OWN frustrating and insulting experiences with their support--but then I stopped spending money on Nokia and bought a Motorola Droid in a Verizon store, and all that melted away once I started getting treated like a proper paying customer.

My recommendation, lad... don't bother buying anything from Nokia until you see that Nokia makes some earnest attempt at customer service. And be sure to let others know. Sadly enough, sometimes you have to be the example that others must learn from.

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 162 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
If I recall correctly Nokia outsources its repair service. And the reason why there usually is poor service is because of cost issues. It's not just a Nokia issue. Don't know the actual numbers but what I've heard of, service firms do not get that much money from fixes that go to warranty. Therefore it is much more profitable to do a quick fix (reflash) as a lot of issues are user related misuse.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by chainreaction View Post
If I recall correctly Nokia outsources its repair service. And the reason why there usually is poor service is because of cost issues. It's not just a Nokia issue. Don't know the actual numbers but what I've heard of, service firms do not get that much money from fixes that go to warranty. Therefore it is much more profitable to do a quick fix (reflash) as a lot of issues are user related misuse.
That doesn't really speak to why Nokia corporate isn't providing face-to-face presence in larger cities or why they aren't even doing the best thing overall (simply and instantly replace the device, fix the turned in unit and resell it as a refurbished unit). Refurbished units TEND to still be very high in quality (because at least now they've been looked at individually), are cheaper to buy for someone people who can't afford the full price. It expands the market share of your product while simultaneously an overall excellent customer experience with a very low cost for all involved.

I'm curious to know whether these individual Nokia executives have ever run a successful business before?

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 30 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Poland
Originally Posted by chainreaction View Post
I understand that reflash should be the first thing you do when trying to fix device - but it should not be the only one done it the service. In my case nobody even turned on phone after reflashing. If they did, they would notice that FM transmitter settings options is missing from the menu.

Also Sacel "experts" did not even fully reflash device - e.g. my bookmarks were still present on the device when I was checking it in the Nokia Care point.

This is not isolated case. Yesterday I was in pub with friends and one of them asked what can be done in case of phone that does not turn on when battery is not fully charged. She send phone to service (I do not know where - phone was issued by cellular network and they were "taking care" of service). Solution so far - "Updated software". Of course this solved nothing.

I am now wondering how this outsourcing is saving money to Nokia. So far my phone was send four times from point to where I left it to the service company. I tend to agree with danramos - it would be cheaper to either fix it correcly for the first time or just replace it with new unit. Is anyone controlling how sucessful are those external companies with fixing devices send to the repair?
But if you do not believe your customers, it tends to cost more, it seems.

Nokia is certainly doing something wrong here, but i am not sure they know about this problem: how bad their repair service is.

There must be some sort of consumer agency in your country where you can complain when a company plays like this with you. I believe nokia Finland will tell you to call nokia Poland.

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Poland
Update on situation.
I have phoned Nokia Don'tCare, and then have sent email describing situation on 2010-07-20.

On 2010-07-27 I have received SMS that my phone is back from repair. I went to retrieve it on 2010-07-28. First thing - battery was fully discharged, so I had to wait for it to charge to check if phone turns on! After checking that it works I went home and started restoring backup, charging, etc. FM and IR transmitters are working.
From repait description: "fixed electronic parts with soldering (pol. naprawa elementów elektronicznych z lutowaniem"
Used parts: (Z1505, 4129289, ASIP 10-CH LCD FILTER W/ESID BGA24 ID217, 9903029 STYLET).

In the evening I have received Nokia Don'tCare reply. This time it did not take them two weeks to reply, which seemed nice. On the other hand content of the reply was so bad that I replied with rather nasty email. I will put parts of their explanation - let's laugh together.

According to our information phone was repaired:
* 09.06-01.07.2010- software update (pol. wymiana oprogramowania)
* 09-24.07.2010- fixing user interface (pol. naprawa interfejsu użytkownika)
Phone was succesully tested and matches all producer requirements.
(pol. Aparat prawidłowo przeszedł testy serwisowe i spełnia wszystkie normy określone przez producenta.)
I did not know that outsourced service is able to write new UI! Unfortunately there was nothing new, and firmware was in version PR1.2. And I hoped that I would get access to the next firmware version...

Short explanation. I think that one of changes in PR1.2 was that if FM transmitter is not available/not working, the "Settings" menu is not showing option to set frequency. As previous "repair" did not fixed FM transmitter, menu was not showing required options. It looks like Nokia Poland cannot afford to employ at least one person that understands technical details of their phones.

The next of their reply is also interesting, but requires short explanation. In Poland there are two modes of warranty - one is that I send item to repair, another is that I send item back and demand my money back. The latter in my case is harder, as I bought phone via internet from Nokia Online.

We would like to explain that Producer Warranty gives User right to exchange of product to the new one only if fixing is impossible in the service. In this case requirements of the exchange were not fullfilled.

We also explain that guarantee is responsibility of the seller, not Nokia Poland.
In polish:.
Pragniemy wyjaśnić, że Ograniczona Gwarancja Producenta przyznaje Użytkownikowi prawo do wymiany produktu na nowy, gdy usunięcie wady jest niemożliwe w drodze naprawy.
W tym przypadku przedstawione warunki wymiany nie zostały spełnione.

Ponadto wyjaśniamy, że reklamacja z tytułu „Rekojmi” jest odpowiedzialnością sprzedawcy a nie gwaranta firmy Nokia Poland.
Which is total crap because I have bought phone from Nokia Online. As I wrote in the first post I have put order on 2009-10-02 and received phone on 2009-11-23. So in that case Nokia is both seller and warranty provider. It looks like they are not even sure whom they are responding to and where phone was bought.

danramos is right - Nokia deserves to go bankrupt. They cannot afford to employ people with enough technical knowledge to call "********" when service company is pulling wool over their eyes. Lack of such knowledge is especially detrimental in case of section that is to deal with compains over repairs and problems with service.

I would finish it here, but phone is starting to show reset problems again. As I mentioned earlier, bettery came back depleted. I decided to "format" it - charge and discharge fully three times. Each time I have turned phone on after discharge I had report that error "32wd_to" occurred. Today I started watching flash video on BBC - and phone rebooted itself with reason "sw_rst". I have installed Crash Reported so Nokia/Maemo gets reports about this problems, but because of outsourced service and lack of communication inside Nokia nobody gets those reports to use them to help pinpoint problems.

I have bought phone officially from Nokia to be sure that I get good care in case of hardware problems. It looks like I was naive - Nokia phones do not have any warranty.

The Following User Says Thank You to tomaszrybak For This Useful Post: