Active Topics

My N900 with non-functioning USB port is getting long in the tooth, so I've got an N9 on its way to me in the post. It needs reflashing to get rid of a MALF flag, so I'll be starting from scratch on it anyway.

I'm wondering what operating system to put on it. I'm mainly considering Meego (Harmattan) and Sailfish, and leaning toward the latter. I've seen sticky treads on how to install these, but I was wondering if anyone has particular opinions on choosing one over the other (or perhaps you're feeling evangelical about another OS that I haven't considered yet.)

My main use of the N900 was as a phone, emergency camera, and web browser, with occasional SSH sessions and puzzle games (particularly Simon Tatham's puzzle collection).

All thoughts and observations welcome.

Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
Harmattan is the only usable on N9.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by coderus View Post
Harmattan is the only usable on N9.
Is it sailfish possible usable on n9?

Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Coderus is right.

But nitdroid, sailfish and firefox are nice to play with (for a day or two).
Search for 'ubiboot'.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by tomislav View Post
Is it sailfish possible usable on n9?
It is possible, but the available version is fairly dated (more than a year old, SFOS has come a long way since)

There's nothing quite like unanimity Thanks.

I'll concentrate on getting Harmattan working nicely, and stick to playing with Sailfish a bit.

My next job will be finding the .po files for Harmattan and getting some UI translation done. I haven't found these readily available online (unlike maemo/jolla ones, which can be found on Transifex). I presume I'll be able to pull them off the N9 itself once it arrives?