Active Topics

OK, here comes a crazy post. Brace Yourselves. I'm feeling manic.

I am desperate for an N900. A NEW N900. I can't find a source that I trust to purchase one from. They are all listed at online retailers with really shady reviews (As in the ones that list under Google shopping who obviously write almost all of the positive reviews themselves) or they are being sold from Hong Kong through Ebay. I am in Canada for a year and Amazon won't ship them here (although the bulk of the sellers seem to be from Hong Kong anyway). I really don't want to pay for a new N900 and receive something used. Most of the online shops I have found are those that claim to have everything in stock in endless quantities just to get a credit card number.

I am so desperate that I will pay one of you to find this elusive creature for me. How does $50 sound? I'm not kidding. Ideally, it would be from a Nokia reseller within Canada or the U.S though I wouldn't refuse a reputable source from the UK or even mainland europe. I would like to be able to speak with a floor person on the phone. Essentially, someone without a phone sales department. I want someone to be able to say that they are holding the box to verify it is in stock.

I'm not ready for an N9. I might be when six months of community development has happened - but not yet.

I know that I am insane but I am serious. I will send you cash in the mail or pay you with card (anything but paypal - not a fan).

My sincerest thanks -

Abe

Posts: 1,918 | Thanked: 3,118 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ My pants
I dunno, but the eBay units look legit, and have some good positive feedback:
http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Nokia-N-Seri...=p3286.c0.m14#

The Following User Says Thank You to ammyt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 412 | Thanked: 480 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Bronx, NY

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Fila For This Useful Post:
Mike,

Thanks for the reply. Honestly, would you trust either of the companies you listed? I look at reviews and they seem a little scary. Most of the reviews seem really like a sales pitch (unauthentic). Anyway, I'm really desperate for one of these so if no one replies with something better I will place my order.

Still serious about the $50 if a company turns out legitimate.

Thanks again,

Abe

Ammyt,

Thank you for the reply.

I stopped using eBay and PayPal about a year ago. I just got burned too many times. My paranoia about shady online shops is stifling my desperation for a new N900.

I'm really interested in brick and mortar mobile shops where I can speak with someone on the phone although that isn't required if one of you guys knows a reliable source you have done business with that still carries a few N900s.

I really appreciate the help.

Abe

Spoke with cellhut and auroracell; neither of which actually has the phone in stock. Shady operations anyway. At least they were honest about the stock.

I'm hoping to order one today.

If I can get my hands on one I will likely be writing some security software for it in my pass time.

I really hope I can find one. I would much rather have the N900 than order the N9.

I took a quick look at the bbb for the 2 ...cellhut had 55 complaints over the last 3 years 13 in the last year ...aurora doesn't have any and their file was started in 2009 which is a pretty good sign. I would probably go with aurora but it isnt a clear cut decision.

Find out what your cc company's policy is for online purchase protection ...that will be your best safety net in the end.

http://www.bbb.org/NYC/business-revi...lyn-ny-110359/

Edit: Oh well just saw your post that neither had it in stock

Last edited by Mike Fila; 2011-12-28 at 19:01.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Fila For This Useful Post:

The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Fila For This Useful Post:
Mike,

I really do appreciate the help. You are my new hero.
I went to look at the Sears one. I didn't realize Sears had an Amazon-like setup where they are the man in the middle. Have you ever ordered from them and had success?
I saw the Amazon one last night. Tried ordering from every single American seller but none would ship to Canada. Only two Hong Kong sellers would do it and one had horrid ratings. The remaining seller (the HK one with decent ratings) is THISONE. Do I have any chance of getting a legitimately unopened phone? I'm paying $400 for it. Tell me what you think. I'm waiting back to hear from you before I place the order. I'm really eager to get my hands on one and possibly do some developing.

If anyone is looking used (aka refurbished) replacements for their N900, the following site supposedly has many available:

http://www.expansys.ca/nokia-n900-re...locked-219269/

I spoke with them by phone and they assured me they actually have them in stock and that they are in good condition. I couldn't attest to anything more than that.

As for myself, I am still searching for a new one from a reliable source.

The Following User Says Thank You to Old Abe For This Useful Post: