Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by CepiPerez View Post
Point 2- What means "maemo.org Community Awards"?
The first time the idea was proposed was here.

"- Prizes for great maemo.org contributors in any areas: betatesting, infrastructure, forum/IRC support and engagement, promotion..."

Then I believe the conclusion was to wait for the new Council (but I might be wrong since that discussion had many posts).

Point 3- If I put an existing app to nokia store (like my last.fm radio), I'm automatically in?
This is not exactly what I'm proposing at http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...45&postcount=5

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
New apps @ store: We could make a wiki page, each participant can point to one application that is out in the wild and not in Nokia Store and write a small text describing it. Then we could form a commitee that will decide about usefulness/innovation/difficulty/interface and give a grade for each one of these aspects. The average (or weighted average) can be used to determine who gets a device and who doesn't.
I'm proposing a lighter process at http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...45&postcount=5 Any specific reason why we should go for the wiki page & committee instead? I'm hapopy evolving or changing the initial proposal - for a known and good reason.

Qt5 mobile projects: Is there a special goal that Nokia/QtProject want to achieve with this activity? Are there any special new features in Qt5 that developers should be encouraged to use?
The main motivations are mixture of:

- Helping testing Qt 5 itself and providing feedback while it's alpha/beta.

- Helping testing the Qt 5 libraries for the N9.

- Getting stories of real apps ported from Qt 4 to Qt 5. Trivial? Horrible? What are the pain points? And what about Qt Creator and the documentation available?

- Getting developers to play with the new toys: Qt Quick 2, textures, transitions, graphics / video effects, raw OpenGL ES stuff, post-Mobility APIs, the new Qt WebKit, JSON DB, ongoing R&D on PhoneGap own JQuery based experiments...

This is the same motivation we have for the QtonPi program, but for mobile development the N9 provides a touch display and many more sensors and hardware features that a bare bones board is missing.

Good question and I have posted this explanation at http://wiki.maemo.org/Summer%2712_De...obile_Projects

If yes these should be stated clearly and made a prerequisite. If not, seeing that updates and ports are probably being downplayed in the maemo coding competition this year maybe it's a good idea to give the awards to porting Qt4 applications to Qt5.
I would leave Qt 5 apps from the Code Competition. Qt 5 can cause a lot of frustration to someone jumping in unaware of its status and the reasons why things are the way they are. It will be different when it's final and stable.

In the meantime there are some dudes that are in the opposite situation: following Qt 5 development, growing appetite watching demo videos and examples, and lazily looking for an excuse to get started on something. This is an attempt for becoming that excuse.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Now, question to qgil - what will be formal status of devices (both N950's and N9's) in hands of receivers? Are they going to be "owned", or just "lend"? does it differ between 4 categories?
I'm editing my previous comment changing it for:

I don't know yet.

Because this topic is distorting the core discussion of this program. We are talking about devices as prizes and awards, as an invitation for the community to do together something cool. Maybe it's fine that someone's motivations is to see how much can you get for one of these selling it online, but there is no need to see such motivations trying to influence how the community activities are being planned.

PS: No worries Estel, this is not about your post.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
I know this is about my post, but seriously, 1 N950 is worth 4-5 N9s, so would be interesting to see how you deal with the facts Nokia created. Getting an N9 is like a fluffy/puffy toy instead of a prize with the economic reality accounted for

EDIT: Especially taking into account the fact most likely to win contestants already got one. Having previous winners start with newcommers from same positions is just a joke. Unless they all honorably accept N9 instead of a N950...

Last edited by szopin; 2012-05-18 at 21:25.

Originally Posted by szopin View Post
I know this is about my post, but seriously, 1 N950 is worth 4-5 N9s,
What about the small battery?

anyway, I must admit I do not exactly see the reason why Nokia is doing this. Is there plans to break the Microsoft+Nokia contract somehow in the future, or is there some triggers in the contract, that if WP7 doesn't sell despite all the efforts, Nokia is allowed to continue the Meego line?

The Following User Says Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post:
You can either throw (away) in fire, or create possibilities while losing nothing more. Letting the junk get in hands of cool people in an innovative and hopefully creative way for 0 cost is a great thing to do.

The Following User Says Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zimon View Post
anyway, I must admit I do not exactly see the reason why Nokia is doing this.
Unhappy if we do it, unhappy if we don't do it...

I have proposed this activity because there is a community here, there are some devices somewhere, some people had suggested to do more seeding activities, Summer is coming and we could work on some cool things.

If you still find this disturbing that's ok, but please let those of us having fun keeping working on this.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
What's this about the nitpicking of the prizes? Nokia is giving away several N9s and N950s, I say cool, and the only question is what I'm eligible to get as N950 owner should I participate and win. Personally I feel N950 is such rare beast that those who have one, should they win, would get one of the N9s, leaving more of the N950s to developers who doesn't have one already.

This talk about which one is more in monetary terms is absurd to me. It's a community program, not how to optimize revenue exercise.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
the only question is what I'm eligible to get as N950 owner should I participate and win.
As a N950 owner you are obliged to participate and try to win. No questions asked dev.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
... Personally I feel N950 is such rare beast that those who have one, should they win, would get one of the N9s, leaving more of the N950s to developers who doesn't have one already.

This talk about which one is more in monetary terms is absurd to me. It's a community program, not how to optimize revenue exercise.
I think so too.

I also think that most of us are indeed interested in doing something "cool" with these devices instead of mindlessly selling or harvesting them. At least I hope so.

Personally, I consider myself somewhat out of scope anyhow as I have a loan N950 and won an N9 in the last years coding competition. Nonetheless, this doesn't stop me from developing and having fun writing new software for these nice devices.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wonko For This Useful Post: