gazza_d, I can understand your frustration but this is a Linux Foundation decision. Also please understand Nokia does not own MeeGo

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2011-08-02 at 17:25.

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
slow isn't so bad. As long as it's always in a forward direction, you'll move faster than someone who sometimes goes in reverse.
It's definitely a multi dimensional problem with no single 'right' answer... but at this point in a platform war, I equate the early phases as goldrush/landgrab where every gained user/developer will contribute to your camp and take one away from the competitor.. they'll fuel and propel your camp to grow further.

It costs more to convert a user that has already pledged their 'allegiance' to another camp, since they've already invested their time (setup, configuration, learning ui/ux..) and money (apps, services) to their current choice.

So... there are definitely advantages to being quick.

But yes, I agree with your point and I didn't mean to sidetrack the more important discussion of this thread.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Last edited by ysss; 2011-08-02 at 17:53.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
I never liked the idea of Meego very much. What I want in my phone is Debian or Ubuntu with whatever UX I choose (i.e. Cordia, Plasma Mobile, Meego UX).

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
So uh, where they gonna stick all teh meego appz?
There is not a problem with all the meego apps. The apps from corporations will still be accepted at meego.com. Apparently, it is the mere fact that an app is from an individual developer that will be the basis for its refusal. Nevermind that maemo.org has shown that there can be a effective QA process for such apps.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
MeeGo will take mobile linux to new places and should be supported for that. But dare to say that leaving nothing but corporate run app stores is an unnatural and unsustainable state of affairs for an open source project. The proposed alternative site (apps.formeego.com) seems to be a corporate-sponsored site from our own long lost friend, Nokia.

A maemo.org run by the community would never make such a decision. To maemo and other mobile linux developers, to those of you who support open source, those of you who have said maemo is dead, and those of you who have accepted "free" N950s - think carefully, think twice, and please continue to support maemo.org
Just a quick comment.

I think apps.formeego.org is a brilliant community-led recovery from an bad, ugly decision on the part of the Linux Foundation. Our "long lost friend" Nokia didn't create the situation, and they didn't choose the new domain name, but they are completely behind the community-led effort to get the infrastructure up and running without the expected LF hosting and support.

In the long run, I personally think the move to the non-corporate formeego.org site is a much better one, especially if Nokia puts the formeego.org repositories on the N9 like I expect them to do (and like they did with maemo.org).

When Nokia made the open-source community repositories available "out of the box" on the N900, it was a bold, wonderful step forward, away from the Official App Store approach of all the other mobile platforms. Everything I'm hearing from Quim and the community app team suggests that this will happen again on the N9.

I promise you, having the rug pulled from under the community repositories at this late stage of the game is even more frustrating to Nokia than it is to community developers, if not MORE SO.

The fact that the reasoning for this decision is so vague and secret suggests there may be more than a little corporate spite and politics mixed in here. But as always, we just can't know what's going on behind those curtains.

The Following 52 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
And as for the (third-party) apps, whether corporate or individual, they are not going to be hosted at meego.com. Not a single one of them. That's the whole problem.

Corporate apps will be hosted in corporate app stores like Intel's AppUp and Nokia's Ovi Store. That was never an issue. What is an issue is that the little open source community apps, which were expecting to be hosted by the Linux Foundation, no longer have that assurance.

The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
"there may be more than a little corporate spite and politics mixed in here."

It was stated that this was not Nokia's decision. So what corporation would exert a spiteful and political influence?

And, while we're at it, who would feel spiteful and why?

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Intel inside?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
Sounds like they just trying to spite Nokia b/c there product would of been main benefactor of such repository's for time being.
I'm willing to gamble money that as soon as harmattan community apps have a home and N9 shipping as been and gone, there will be a massive U turn by who ever made original decision.
Just reading comments from some Intel employees over the passed few months shows what bitter childish ****s they are when it come's to Nokia and Harmattan.

Ag-a-doo-doo-doo, push pineapple, shake the tree
Aga-doo-doo-doo, push pineapple, grind coffee
To the left, to the right, jump up and down and to the knees

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POv-3yIPSWc

The Following User Says Thank You to NvyUs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I think apps.formeego.org is a brilliant community-led recovery from an bad, ugly decision on the part of the Linux Foundation. Our "long lost friend" Nokia didn't create the situation, and they didn't choose the new domain name, but they are completely behind the community-led effort to get the infrastructure up and running without the expected LF hosting and support.
Yep, as I wrote on FMC, this will give us as a community more freedom on how to run the Apps service on long term.

But obviously the timing was still frustrating as everything was pretty much ready and done and now has to be transferred to new infra.

The patent situation across the Atlantic is looking worse day by day. I wonder if they'll have a software industry left in ten years...

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to bergie For This Useful Post:

Tags
dystopianfuture, linux found, meego, why lf why, winding down