Notices

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Would someone like to develop a program that streams a live-video from the n900 to a pc via wlan and/or usb? I could help with the graphics.

The program should work similar to "mobiola webcam" for symbian: search for the correct pc in the network (or type in the ip-address), select it, and the stream will start. You should be able to select between the front- and the back-camera. You should be able to use the stream in all major messengers (at least msn and skype). The program should be open-source and I prefer a command-line app, with a small, simple GUI, so that other developers can use it easly for their programs. It should work with both windows and linux on the pc.

I will pay 20€ for that program. And I'm sure others will do the same..

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by zehjotkah; 2009-09-12 at 09:06.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 156 | Thanked: 239 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
Shouldn't VLC be able to do this? I think someone mentioned that the cameras on N900 are accessible through Video4Linux, so streaming from them shouldn't be a problem. [edit] Ah, you'd like support to use the stream as a webcam on the PC? I guess that would require some additional program on the PC side.

Last edited by DeeGee; 2009-09-11 at 21:13.

The Following User Says Thank You to DeeGee For This Useful Post:
I recall using something like this to stream video from my N800 to VLC on my Mac. Perhaps that would be a good start.
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

The Following User Says Thank You to fnordianslip For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Thanks for your replies.

I would like to have it as a standalone application, which have to be installed on PC and the n900 (maybe n8x0, too??).
It would be good if it doesn't require any hacking in part of the user, so that ANY n900 user (I think many of the n900 buyes don't will have any experiences with linux) can use it without having problems.
Currently I'm using "mobiola webcam" on my e71, but the n900 will replace my e71, and that is currently the only application I'm missing.

Thanks!

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 540 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
There is Qik application in repositories already, it allows to stream video to qik.com account. Works fine.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to abbra For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by abbra View Post
There is Qik application in repositories already, it allows to stream video to qik.com account. Works fine.
I want to stream the camera-video to my PC so I can use the n900 as a webcam. Via wlan as a wireless webcam.
With mobiola webcam it's very good. I can take my e71 with me all around my house, and with a wireless headset speak all the time. So when I'm in the kitchen, the person on the other side can watch me cooking. When I'm sitting in front of my PC it's like a normal webcam with a very good quality.
And that's it, what I want to do with my future n900.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
This does sound like it would be a very useful feature. Gets my vote!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to slate8 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 96 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by slate8 View Post
This does sound like it would be a very useful feature. Gets my vote!
I Second that...great feature

The Following User Says Thank You to McChicken For This Useful Post:
Do you also are willing to pay/donate a little bit for such a program?

You may want to put it on the brainstorm area and get some supoort and ideas as to how to design it.
http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...eas/fremantle/

I like the idea, I wish we could use gizmo since it was nice on maemo 4 (Diablo) hopefully if enough people submit a ticket for it they will listen
http://support.gizmo5.com/index.php?...kets&_a=submit

The Following User Says Thank You to jandmdickerson For This Useful Post: