Notices

Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
Installing Latest Navit

Consider this to be Extras-devel level risk (experimental/may cause your navel to invert). It is a script that downloads a recent build from http://www.chollya.org/navit (the only developer building packages for Maemo), installs it and the dependencies, and also downloads the configuration files.

To install the latest version of Navit, download this with your N900: Attachment 14810 and save to "N900".

Then, make sure you have rootsh installed (use App Manager) and open an xterm window. Type:

Code:
mv MyDocs/navit-install.txt .
sudo gainroot
chmod a+x navit-install.txt
./navit-install.txt
exit
Pay attention to the output. You may need to answer "y" to a prompt.. There will be some warnings due to forced install and because of the file moving from the FAT filesystem to Ext. If all goes well it will eventually tell you "You need to copy your map to the navit_maps folder of N900. Name it mymap.bin."

Getting a map
(Note: this part could be done on N900, but is verrrrry slow--do it with a PC.) You can get a map of your area here. Save it to your PC, rename it mymap.bin, and then connect your N900 with USB in Mass Storage mode and copy mymap.bin to the navit_maps folder. Alternative method: If you must do this part on the N900, use a pre-processed map for your country of interest, which can be downloaded from here. Pick the <your country>.navit.bin.zip file and download it to navit_maps in the N900 folder (AKA MyDocs). Unzip it. Rename the resulting map to mymap.bin.

To use a free garmin map, you'll need to edit .navit/maps.xml and either copy the existing entry or change it. The type should be "garmin" and the map name altered as appropriate. Garmin maps end with ".img".

If the script ended with "Success", you're done. Run Navit from icon.

Let me know if it works for you (or doesn't ), so i can fix mistakes in my script and report bugs to the devs. I will update this post as needed.

Routing
To get routing instructions, you can either use bookmarks or tell navit to use a place as the destination. Do this by zooming in to the place you want to go to and going into the menu. Then select Actions->Map and either "Set as destination" or "Add as bookmark". Cancel routing from the Actions menu by selecting "Stop Navigation".

Tips and Tricks
  • Get as small of a map area as is useful for you. Map size affects performance. You can have multiple maps and enable/disable them from the GUI menu.
  • If things are sluggish, zoom in one level. The high-resolution screen of the N900 requires it to really process a lot of image elements at intermediate zoom levels (when many things are visible). I'm looking into changing the zoom level where some features show up to make the default install a bit more snappy.
  • You can enable the "Northing" option in the menu to make your map always stay with North "up" or rotate with your heading. This setting seems to periodically switch itself off. Sorry.

Known Issues
  • Some POI icons are broken in this release. This fixes it. This is because they are moving to all svg icons, but svg versions aren't available for some icons. If you have artistic abilities, you might help.
  • Quitting by "x" in upper right doesn't fully kill app. Use "Quit" button in Actions menu or Ctrl-C in xterm where the app was started to close it. If you accidentally close navit this way, type "killall navit" in xterm to get rid of the rogue process. 1
  • Starting from icon doesn't work if you have closed navit using the Maemo5 quit button. (See previous item.)
  • Selecting the fullscreen icon sometimes causes a crash. Going fullscreen from the GUI's display menu usually works. 2
  • Issue commented on in previous post can now be fixed by modifying config file for "vehicle" to increase the threshold. 3
  • Searching can be limited due to the nature of OSM and some limitations in navit.
  • Selecting POIs menu option in GUI leaves navit busy forever. Suggest not doing it. 4

Fullscreen mode with routing:
Attachment 11929

Updating navit
Due to the forced dependencies, it would be best to start by uninstalling the previous version. If you originally installed navit with the script, use the uninstall script. Otherwise use App Manager. Then get the latest install script and follow the install instructions above.

Removing navit
This script will uninstall navit. Download it and move/chown/etc. it in exactly the same way as the above script except that it is called navit-remove.txt instead of navit-install.txt.

Attachment 11936
This is w8 i get when trying to use navit
/home/user # navit
map_rect_new_textfile unable to open textfile /home/user/.navit/bookmark.txt
plugin_ossosso_navit:error initiating osso context
graphics_qt_qpainter:graphics_priv* graphics_qt_qpainter_new(navit*, graphics_methods*, attr**, callback_list*):enter
Maemo applications must be run with the run-standalone.sh script!
QGtkStyle was unable to detect the current GTK+ theme.
graphics_qt_qpainter:graphics_priv* graphics_qt_qpainter_new(navit*, graphics_methods*, attr**, callback_list*):return
navit:xinclude:Unable to include /home/user/.navit/OSD.xml
navit:xinclude:Unable to include /opt/navit/share/navit/maps/*.xml
navit:main_real:Error parsing '/home/user/.navit/navit.xml': element '��2@�
' not closed

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
Some months back I enabled a magic setting in the config somewhere that allowed me to press and hold on the display to bring up a menu on the map screen itself, just wondering if anyone might know the particular option so I can enable this again, it made interacting with Navit a pleasure.

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Quick reply...
Originally Posted by drasu View Post
This is w8 i get when trying to use navit
/home/user # navit
map_rect_new_textfile unable to open textfile /home/user/.navit/bookmark.txt
plugin_ossosso_navit:error initiating osso context
graphics_qt_qpainter:graphics_priv* graphics_qt_qpainter_new(navit*, graphics_methods*, attr**, callback_list*):enter
Maemo applications must be run with the run-standalone.sh script!
QGtkStyle was unable to detect the current GTK+ theme.
graphics_qt_qpainter:graphics_priv* graphics_qt_qpainter_new(navit*, graphics_methods*, attr**, callback_list*):return
navit:xinclude:Unable to include /home/user/.navit/OSD.xml
navit:main_real:Error parsing '/home/user/.navit/navit.xml': element '��2@�
' not closed
Do you have /home/user/.navit/bookmark.txt? Are permissions correct?
The same about /home/user/.navit/OSD.xml
/opt/navit/share/navit/maps/*.xml

Either run as non-root or run with run-standalone.sh script.

In
/home/user/.navit/navit.xml
Where is ��2@�? It's causing problems, it's non-closed, xml cannot be parsed.

Posts: 445 | Thanked: 367 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Italy
Can someone update this page with informations about Navit on the N900? http://wiki.navit-project.org/index....n770/n800/n810

quote <<To use a free garmin map, you'll need to edit .navit/maps.xml and either copy the existing entry or change it. The type should be "garmin" and the map name altered as appropriate. Garmin maps end with ".img".>>

cannot use garmin maps it says invalid type "garmin"
have changed the maps.xml to type garmin

Last edited by gnasgame3; 2010-12-03 at 03:28.

is anyone getting garmin maps to work on this? ive tried last, and 2 previous version and cant get it to work, ive modified the maps.xml on the type part and the file extension part but with no luck at all, any idea?

There seems to be a problem with my qpainter.

The letters of the names don't appear visible but they are there unvisible.

me/user # run-standalone.sh navit
navitlugin_load:can't load '/opt/navit/lib/navit/osd/libosd_core.so', already loaded
map_binfile:map_binfile_open:Failed to load '/home/user/MyDocs/navit_maps/mymap.bin'
graphics_qt_qpainter:void RenderArea::do_resize(QSize):size 533x320
graphics_qt_qpainter:void RenderArea::do_resize(QSize)ixmap 0x216ad0 533x320
navit:main_real:Using '/home/user/.navit/navit.xml'
graphics_qt_qpainter:void RenderArea::do_resize(QSize):size 800x424
graphics_qt_qpainter:void RenderArea::do_resize(QSize)ixmap 0x216ad0 800x424
plugin_ossosso_cb_hw_state_idleinact=0, save=0, shut=0, memlow=0, state=0)
navit:tracking_update:failed to get position data 1 1 1 0
navitsd_std_click:calling command 'gui.menu()'
gui_internal:gui_internal_set_refresh_callback:con d=(null)
QPainter::end: Painter not active, aborted
gui_internal:gui_internal_search_list_set_default_ country:country Deutschland
gui_internal:gui_internal_search_changed:Town now 'B'
gui_internal:gui_internal_search_changedrocess
gui_internal:gui_internal_search_changed:Town now 'Be'
gui_internal:gui_internal_search_changed:Town now 'Ber'
gui_internal:gui_internal_search_changed:Town now 'Berl'
gui_internal:gui_internal_search_changed:Town now 'Berli'
gui_internal:gui_internal_search_changed:Town now 'Berlin'
navit:tracking_update:failed to get position data 1 1 1 0
Cannot open file '/opt/navit/share/navit/xpm/gui_select_house_number.svg', because: No such file or directory
gui_internal:image_new_scaled:failed to load gui_select_house_number with 32,32
navit:debug_dump_mallocs:mallocs 0
/home/user #

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Northern MY
anyone still have the 3541 package? i want to use garmin coz only got garmin as updated map here..

Posts: 113 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Argentina
Originally Posted by benji.my View Post
anyone still have the 3541 package? i want to use garmin coz only got garmin as updated map here..
I've uploaded the 3541 files, here you have an intaller with the new links
Attached Files
File Type: txt navit-install3541.txt (2.5 KB, 166 views)

I found another really good method to get Navit to your n900 on www.ethersex.org. Unfortunately there's a mistake in the repo which makes the n900 not to get the Packages-information from it. So I uploaded the necessary files on my webspaces, corrected the error and used the installation instructions but made one change:
Instead of using "http://chollya.org/navit/" as url to repo I replaced the url with "http://chpohl.de/navit_n900/".

I've to mention that I did an installation of a really old navit version from the maemo extra repo before and just updated it with 'my' repo to version 3684. Everything works fine that way but I assume that just do a clean install from chpohl.de-repo will do as well.

Complete installation instruction will be available on my site soon, I'll anounce it here. (That will include tuned configuration of osd and icons.)

Known bugs so far:
  • Navit does not give any spoken instructions when not in foreground.
  • When media player is running its sound will be muted while navit wants to say instructions (but one cannot hear anything from navit/espeak).

Have fun using NavIt!

The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisPZV For This Useful Post:

Tags
navigation, navit, nokia n900, openstreetmap