locking = stop answering ...
can move between desktops but can not click on shorcuts or widgets ...
i am not the only one

Question: Can modified-hildon-desktop be used to implement *precisely* alt-tab (using an external keyboard) to switch between windows?

As an explanation, I don't mind having to use the screen when I have the N900 in my hands anyway, but I also like to use an external keyboard and then I really hate having to touch the screen to change windows. And, for consistency's sake, I want to use alt-tab on my N900, just as I do on my other computers.

Thanks!

As it is right now it can't, unless you map the alt to ctrl and tab to backspace. It should be easy to implement. What is the output of xmodmap when the keyboard is connected? How do you set the keyboard mapping?

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ United Kingdom
Hi, I hope someone can help. I am having problems installing this package, given in the first post by Matan. After application manager open and attemps to install I get the following message "Unable to update hildon desktop. incompatiable application package". I have also downloaded the .deb and tried to install it manually, but I get the same error message. Since moving to PR1.3 I have not re-installed this software until now.

Matan wrote in his first post..
If you install this package (or any of my enhanced packages with same version number as original Nokia packages, please note that apt-get upgrade overwrites the new packages with the original ones. Either use package pinning or don't use apt-get upgrade. HAM update feature seems to be safe.

Can someone explain what is the HAM update feature?
Thanks, Keith

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ United Kingdom
I have managed to install the modified hildon desktop by simply adding Matan's respository to Faster application manager. All working now...

@matan Sorry I took so long to get back to you, forgot to subscribe to the thread and didn't notice your reply.

In answer to your questions, I use extkbd to set the keyboard mapping and this is the output from xmodmap. It's all voodoo to me I'm afraid.

xmodmap: up to 4 keys per modifier, (keycodes in parentheses):

shift Shift_L (0x32), Shift_R (0x3e), Shift_Lock (0x42)
lock
control Control_L (0x25), Control_R (0x69)
mod1 Alt_L (0x40), Alt_R (0x6c), Meta_L (0xcd)
mod2 Num_Lock (0x4d)
mod3
mod4 Super_L (0x85), Super_R (0x86), Super_L (0xce), Hyper_L (0xcf)
mod5 ISO_Level3_Shift (0x5c), Mode_switch (0xcb)

The Following User Says Thank You to avidscavenger For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Matan View Post
I am still looking for help in mainly to forms:
  1. Ideas how to make the keyboard more usable.
  2. Implementation of such ideas.
1. In addition to disabling the default typing-searches-contacts, ability send the typed text somewhere else, ie Notes app/widget, or the clipboard.

More ambitiously, this could be dependent on the currently selected homescreen: ie if you type in a homescreen that has the Contacts widget on it then it would search contact, if you type in a screen that has the Notes widget, it enters text into the widget

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Helsinki, Finland
I have the newest modified desktop and keyboard-shortcuts, I'm using PR1.3 and everytime I open a browser window via ctrl-shift-i or ctrl-shift-b it seems to open two new browser windows instead of one. the same happens with pressing 'o' in the task nav.
I've been playing with the keyboard-shortcut script, and I was wondering why can't I use:
import webbrowser
webbrowser.open_new("")
to open a new window instead of the dbus call. seems to work fine in the interactive python shell but not when implemented in the keyboard-shortcut script.
Also I'd like to know how to make the python script launch e.g. conky so I could make it launch when ctrl-shift-c is pressed.
Any help would be appreciated.

The Following User Says Thank You to Husky For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Helsinki, Finland
Okay nevermind, got it solved. Seems that sometimes my phone runs a double instance of dbus-scripts, so the keyboard-shortcut script runs twice everytime, and I have to kill dbus-scripts to get it working properly again. Don't know why this happens though.

Not sure if others had trouble with CSSU upgrades like I did when using modified-hildon-desktop, but I really wanted keyboard shortcuts and the ability to stay with latest updates. Result was using xbindkeys & setting it to start on boot. If anyone is interested check it out here