Posts: 308 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ UK Swindon
why are there so many pricks on here making dumb arse comments about what the iPhone/N900 does or not do??
Isn't the N900 quite new?? Yeah. How many (usable / worthwhile) apps did the iPhone have after a month?? Not many.
The N900 will develop - hopefully a bit quicker than is currently mind. In the meantime what pulls your todger might not pull mine. Thats the great thing about being human. We all different. Wicked eh. Get over it.
Its dull the repeated patheticness on here.

The Following User Says Thank You to bonerp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by smog View Post
..."built-in" I don't think you understand how an OS work. skype is PREINSTALLED on the n800-810-900 while on the iphone it's a couple clics away; not much different.

and I have a lot of trouble finding any 10$ data plan for a smartphone (here in NorthAmerica); it's more like 30$ to 50$ option over a regular voice plan.

don't get it wrong, I have a n800-770 and 810 but I can see this forum being drown under massive fanboyism and pure hate instead of facts
i don't think you understand how maemo5 work. skype is INTEGRATED on the n900 while on the iphone it's too much clics away and only a serial tasking program; a big difference.

The Following User Says Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 288 | Thanked: 196 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Actually, despite your sarcasm... I do not suggest it. In fact, I'd state that serial tasking is perhaps the worst way to experience any tasks on any device.

But, I did want to give you the knowledge of how limited the experience is on the iPhone. Your prior statement was slightly lacking because of the oversight of Fring.

I won't go into details about how many times each have/have not been updated for each of the platforms; let's just hope that the N900 gets more updates than the N810/Maemo 4 platform for Skype and Fring.
Amazes me that my clunky old Nokia 5800XM with its relatively lightweight hardware can handle fring or Nimbuzz (my sony c510 dumb phone also) in the background without much sweat to cpu or battery but the iPhone with all the power and might that ARM CPU brings has been disabled from doing so. Goes to show the power of marketing, branding and gimmicks over tech. Nokia is perhaps too techy for its own good.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Enyibinakata View Post
Amazes me that my clunky old Nokia 5800XM with its relatively lightweight hardware can handle fring or Nimbuzz (my sony c510 dumb phone also) in the background without much sweat to cpu or battery but the iPhone with all the power and might that ARM CPU brings has been disabled from doing so. Goes to show the power of marketing, branding and gimmicks over tech. Nokia is perhaps too techy for its own good.
It doesn't surprise me. Apple really goofed up - and still do honestly - in regards to how they wish to "protect" their users from a lower than decent quality experience because the machine is seriously lacking the RAM to allow true multi-tasking.

Simply put... the experience sucks on the iPhone, it's limited and above all it has less to do with the CPU but more to do with the lack of swap and RAM.

If memory serves me correct (which I might be wrong, getting old now) on the original iPhone, after the OS is loaded, there's about 40-50mb only left for apps. If that.

There are jailbroken methods to allow for multi-tasking, but then you start to hit into other limits after a while even on the 3G and 3GS.

I still stress the importance of updates... hope that Skype and Fring get updated. The N810 only saw one update apiece. The lackluster iPhone has gotten 4 Skype updates and perhaps 3 Fring updates in the last year.

Originally Posted by smog View Post
..."built-in" I don't think you understand how an OS work. skype is PREINSTALLED on the n800-810-900 while on the iphone it's a couple clics away; not much different.
Smog, I'm afraid you don't know how an OS works either. There is a quite a big difference between built in, and installed later. Built in implies that the OS has code specifically set out to include it in core functions. Becuase of this portions of the application can process faster and allow for a more streamlined use.

Skype while it can be installed on the iPhone is still an app running on top of the OS layer. It will not have the application performance of something built into the OS.

All that said, skype works well on both phones.

2d

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
[offtopic]
These kind of topics are really nice because you can really easily find people to ignore. Honeypot for trolls

Posts: 219 | Thanked: 94 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Integrating applications to OS is something that Microsoft has done with IE. Parts of the browser are pre-loaded to memory during OS startup and application start times are faster than with competitor browsers etc.. As such Skype is just an application that is integrated to contacts app and phones IM/VoiP framework. E.g. Fring plugin should be able to behave exactly the same with same performance, or there are some design flaws in the OS and built in applications.

The fact that Skype comes pre-installed and integrated to existing device functionality doesn't and shouldn't mean that it's integrated to OS.

Originally Posted by naabi View Post
Integrating applications to OS is something that Microsoft has done with IE. Parts of the browser are pre-loaded to memory during OS startup and application start times are faster than with competitor browsers etc.. As such Skype is just an application that is integrated to contacts app and phones IM/VoiP framework. E.g. Fring plugin should be able to behave exactly the same with same performance, or there are some design flaws in the OS and built in applications.

The fact that Skype comes pre-installed and integrated to existing device functionality doesn't and shouldn't mean that it's integrated to OS.

it's a little more than that. IE is integrated with the OS, this is apparent when certian action are taken and IE is used even when it's not set to be the default browser. Another example is the windows update architecture is built around IE integration.

So it's a little bit more than just the browser opening as part of the integration.

Skype is integrated with the OS, as the the skype application runs in conjunction with core OS functions. This is extended by contacts and coversations.

While all of this is sort of a mute point as BOTH phones are more than capable of bridging whatever cap might be present in each approach. I am however not aware of a Skype plug-in for the iPhone. Then again I don't have one, and don't want one.

2d

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
Skype is a big factor in my decision to get the N900. I have not seen it in action on iPhone, but with Fring or not, I do not expect one to be able to receive Skype calls when the application is not active. Or am I wrong?

So, coming back to the OP, you can maybe ask your friends if they can play a game on their iPhone while waiting for a call on Skype?

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
It doesn't surprise me. Apple really goofed up - and still do honestly - in regards to how they wish to "protect" their users from a lower than decent quality experience because the machine is seriously lacking the RAM to allow true multi-tasking.
Here you're wrong. It's not about protecting the users... It's about the entire kernel that simply wasn't meant to be. Don't know if you've played with one, but the battery is only 100mAh smaller than N900's.

On N900 I have right now 50% battery (6AM-8PM) with plenty of browsing youtubing messaging and FMtransmitting.

iPhone: 6AM-2PM stone cold dead. You can test it GSM-less and you won't get much more.

This pretty much says it all, if you don't agree, there's still the overheating and the HUGE SAR 1.3~1.4 (which clearly represents a failure in the antenna design - poor fashion victim) that make multitasking the last thing iPhone needs.

So how can anybody be harassed by a looser that fell for a 1000$ toy? since this is where a nice contract will bring you to.
Whenever you want to go fanboy harassing, go after 2PM because if they don't have the charger with them, that device is like a brick in the water.

Tags
community, complaint, discussion, n900