Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
No fear Kathy!
We don't get splittet!
Everything will even get better!
I had a conversation this morning. It's a really good thing happening at the moment!
This morning I had a discussion with my dog about peeing quicker than he wanted to do.

See. That was as valuable as your post above.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tintin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 286 | Thanked: 259 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Cambridge, England
Funny I read about this on Twitter last week, before the announcement. Chippy at UMPCportal said this is going to happen on the 4th Feb,

http://twitter.com/chippy/statuses/8653445679

Maybe he knows more...

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
What has been left basically untouched to be discussed publicly are most of the community aspects, the ones that were not required to be decided prior to the launch today. These are actually the points that have a direct an immediate impact in the maemo community, and I'm a but surprised that haven't been mentioned yet.
I blogged something about this. Maemo.org can provide lots of valuable community infrastructure that MeeGo currently lacks. Talk, Brainstorm, Community Council and the Sprint process would be good places to start.

Providing a place for the community to form and interact is critical for integrating the large Maemo community with the goals of the MeeGo project.

The Following User Says Thank You to bergie For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Treating your customers like the enemy is why we end up with ******** like DRM being pushed all over the place. End users are the reason devices sell.
In a John McEnroe tone of voice:

You cannot be serious!

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ München, DE
Originally Posted by R-R View Post
Also, looking at http://meego.com/about/licensing-policy it seems they're going the Android route of licensing, GPL at the bottom, BSD above (ie: vendor can go proprietary at the top, and will...). Or maybe I'm over reacting...
Okay, that sucks, especially if you *have* to use non restricting licenses in userland, as that means that you cannot port loads of applications which are under the GPL. I f I don't misread that, that is not a smart move.

Originally Posted by richie View Post
Funny I read about this on Twitter last week, before the announcement. Chippy at UMPCportal said this is going to happen on the 4th Feb,

http://twitter.com/chippy/statuses/8653445679

Maybe he knows more...
Chippy's trippy to Barcelona was paid for by Intel. He says as much on his website. I'm sure that means he knows more than I do at least.

When I look back there have been other signs of this deal such as the OFono development etc.

However, what has surprised me is not the deal as such. Rather it the perception that Maemo takes a back seat to Moblin, which many on here have commented on, and which I tend to agree with.
Maemo seems to be far more developed, has a much larger community and there are actual devices out there. The last demo I saw of Moblin on a phone, had me thinking that Maemo looked superior in terms of speed at least. Perhaps not a fair comparison as the Moblin UI demonstration was on a concept device only.

You know, there are four comments on the Moblin website regarding MeeGo. A very active community. The comments over there mirror the ones over here:
  • Name related comments: MeeGo is a poor name and sad to see the old name go
  • Doubting the benefit of a common phone/mid/netbook platform: What benefit will MeeGo have over Moblin on netbooks
  • Why RPM

Still, as I summarize my perceptions, I have faith that Nokia management knows what it is doing. As far as I understand Maemo6 will still be launched and I read an interview with Nokia CEO Kallasvuo conducted yesterday at the MWC where he stated that while Nokia can become better at all levels, his highest desire is an extreme high end mobile phone device for advanced users. OK, so this means the N900 step 4 out of 5 certainly isn't it. Elsewhere I read that the first MeeGo phone will be out in 2012. So, I expect to see a Maemo6 device out as a stop gap. Nokia expect to sell around 6.75 million of those in 2011. It will be the device Kallasvuo speaks of, and it will be step 5. This will give Nokia and Intel the breathing room they need to get their MeeGo house in order.

A final reflection I have is: our reactions are pretty strong on this here forum. There's high hope but also a certain amount of despair. I can only imagine what it is like for the Maemo staff, certainly if our perception that Moblin takes precedence over Maemo is correct.

I believe that the MeeGo videos posted, where the Nokia staff talks about Moblin and the Moblin staff talks about Maemo were politically motivated to try to signalize both to the external market and developers, as well as to the internal staff that there's peace, harmony and everything is hunky dory.

Last edited by Gadgety; 2010-02-16 at 10:19.

There'll be some scheduled Q&A-sessions on Nokia-Conversation's Twitter account:

from twitter.com/nokconv

1. ...we'll do all the Q's & A's here on Twitter with hashtag #NokiaMWC. Looking forward to your questions later on! (all times CET) vor about 1 hour from web
2. 17:00 – 17:15 | Ovi Store #NokiaMWC vor about 1 hour from web
3. 16:30 – 16:45 | Symbian #NokiaMWC vor about 1 hour from web
4. 15:30 – 15:45 | Nokia Money #NokiaMWC vor about 1 hour from web
5. 14:30 – 14:45 | MeeGo #NokiaMWC vor about 1 hour from web
6. 14:00 – 14:15 | Nokia Maps #NokiaMWC vor about 1 hour from web
7. 12:30 – 12:45 | Comes with Music #NokiaMWC vor about 1 hour from web
8. 12:00 – 12:15 | Maemo #NokiaMWC vor about 1 hour from web
9. Good morning, #NokiaMWC! How about Q&A sessions throughout the day here on Twitter? I have Nokia reps booked, here's the schedule... vor about 1 hour from web
So everyone's invited asking about maemo-future from 12:00-12:15 CET

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sxg75 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard View Post
*sigh* That was really nasty. I wouldn't be so sure that it has been fixed.
For Pete's sake: That is not a problem of the packaging format, but with people being promiscuous with their software stack.

And no, you cannot easily install rpms which aren't meant for your distribution, you have to force them on there. This is a complete Layer 8 problem and has NOTHING to do with the packaging format.

Can't people please get some clue before ranting about things?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to range For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Ċbo, Finland
Originally Posted by sxg75 View Post
So everyone's invited asking about maemo-future from 12:00-12:15 CET
Yuo can use this:
http://tweetchat.com/room/NokiaMWC To follow and join the discussions
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

The Following User Says Thank You to mece For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by v13 View Post
It also means that another distribution will be used, meaning (among other things) that libraries will not be split (the same way) and that not all configuration files will go into /etc.
*SIGH*

Show me one configuration file on RHEL or Fedora or OpenSuSE which isn't in /etc/ - just one.

Take for example /etc/network/interfaces. This is debian specific and most probably will be different (or don't exist) in Meego.
In other words: Debian goodies (except from packaging) will be gone.
So the interface descriptions migh now land in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-*

So where's the big difference?

Really.

Tags
let maemo live!, maemo vs. moblin war, rpm vs. deb war