Active Topics

This story is a sad story about a pity N9 that is a pain of problems.

On May 2012 I’ve decided to switch from a Lumia 800 to a N9 because I’ve never tolerated WindowsPhone so much and MeeGo seemed my promise of happiness so I’ve decided to buy one.

At the end of May, on the 24th of May, I bought a gorgeous 64GB black N9 in Switzerland because Nokia is not selling the N9 in Italy, i come home as the happiest man in the world - specially because I’ve also left the Apple world selling my iPhone 4 - but I didn’t know that my future with this N9 would have been made of real pain.

The first time that I switch it on all the apps start in landscape mode and there no way of take them in portraite, even if the cellphone is handed in portrait mode all the apps start in landscape: I’ve thought about a defective rotation sensor and after a phone call to Nokia Care I’ve brought it to my local Nokia Care Point on the 28th of May and this also the beginning of my N9 nightmare.

After two weeks, on the 6th of June, the the phone in back in my hands and on the receipt is written that the phone has been calibrated and the software was upgraded, I was wondering how can be fixed a hw fault only calibrating the sensor. Back at home I tunr on the device for discover that the rotation sensor still broken and the behaviour of the phone is the same as before the repair.
On the 13th of June I take it, again, at the Nokia Care point complaining that the phone was not fixed, I’ve also called Nokia Care and they told that they apologize and the next time the phone will be fixed. This time the phone took a month - from the 13th of June until the 13th of July - at the Nokia Repair facility and by phone Nokia was assuring me that this time the phone will be fixed and they apologize for the long time of the repair. Finally the Nokia Care Point called me because the phone was ready for the pick up, happy as a child that is going to take a desidered toy I drove to the Nokia Care Point. Back at home I’ve faced a sad discovery: the phone had the rotation sensor fixe but now the proximity sensor was broken and behaved as the phone was always in my pocket so was impossible to end a call because the screen won’t tunr back on because of the faulty proximity sensor.

I took it back to the Nokia Care Point on the 15th of July and pretended a device substitution because is the third time that the phone was sent for repair! On the 30th of July the Nokia Care call me telling that the phone was replaced with a new one. I took it home, I’ve turned it on and checked the rotation sensor and the proximity sensor and both work fine! I was believing that finally the N9 nightmare ended but I was wrong: I’ve tried to make a call and I’ve discovered that the earpiece is faulty, the volume is very low, also if I turn it on max with the volume bar.

Tomorrow I’ll send it for repair another time but it’s a shame that a device sold for 500€ is so cheap assembled and the quality assurance is such a shame!

Now I will take it to the Nokia Care Point but I won’t see my N9 until september as my local Nokia Care Point is closed from the 4th to the 27th of August.

I’m very very sad and I’m also a unsatisfied customer, Nokia is becoming a cheap phone manufactory and the old Nokia that built quality phones is only a dream, ended in the last two years.

Just tell me what can I do now? And how can I trust Nokia anymore?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to suzughia For This Useful Post:
Posts: 308 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Graveyard
Nokia is becoming a cheap phone manufactory and the old Nokia that built quality phones is only a dream, ended in the last two years.
I still feel that N9 is one of the best phones with excellent build quality out there.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ranbaxy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 314 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Bratislava, Slovakia
sorry to hear that you´ve been having some issues with your N9...I´d instantly flash the FW myself and see what´s going on instead of sending the phone to Nokia Care, you can find countless threads on how to do it properly on this forum...I´m pretty sure if you had a "normally" working N9 out of the box you´d never put down such "sad story"...the N9 is by far the best thing from Nokia in years, highly tweakable and adjustable to your own needs and of anything available on the smartphone market at the moment, there simply isn´t any proper substitute...

Last edited by jleholeho; 2012-07-31 at 10:55.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jleholeho For This Useful Post:
I have 2 N9s and haven't experienced any faults whatsoever yet - one of them has been dropped a couple of times on a hard surface and has held up extremely well

As for the call speaker volume, it is quite low on the N9, so it may not actually be a fault

Posts: 314 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Bratislava, Slovakia
and even for the low volume is a tweak out there

The Following User Says Thank You to jleholeho For This Useful Post:
I had one faulty N9 too , with ram memory problems but they replaced it with a good one .

I think the earpiece of N9 is loud enough only bad placed . The problem is it's tiny hole that if it's covered half you can hear almost nothing .

I thought too is a problem but I calibrated phone with my ear

Last edited by Dragoss91; 2012-07-31 at 07:56.

Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
This story made me weep.

You've had bad luck. Hopefully your pain is now behind you, and you will receive a fit and healthy baby-N9 that you can nurture to its fullest potential.

Don't give up.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Yup its been really bad luck...Nokia Care sucks since many years; this is the reason i abandoned Nokia too after the n93 but the n9 is too good to be let go...Anyone you ask on this forum except for the two trolls who should not be named will tell you their n9 is their precious...

Just one question; why didn't you test it out in front of them immediately when you were collecting the phone?

AFAIK if they give you damaged goods twice at the point when you were collecting it, you can demand a new device; after all it seems like a lemon is being sold to you...

Lastly, once you get your phone, head over to the Comprehensive Flashing Guide thread and flash your phone before doing anything else...Get rid of all the mess they may/may not have done to your phone...

I feel for you OP.

The guides that everyone here are referring to are very informative and for those of us in countries where the N9 was not released are complete life savers.

However you appear to be in an officially supported country and should NOT have to resort to these or the comunitities help for a faulty device. I would raise a complaint if I was in your position and take it above the heads of the incompetants of Nokia support (in your area).

That said though, you may already have guessed that their are some very helpful people here and also feel free to have a nosie at the guides as you may still need their help at somepoint.

One way or another, I hope things get sorted for you

Last edited by MINKIN2; 2012-07-31 at 17:01. Reason: Typed on phone, did not proof read. Added NOT to reflect original intentions

The Following User Says Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
hi,

i'm from italy too and bought mine trough austria (got it some time before the swiss). I would've tried to flash it before take it to a ncp. And i wouldn't have taken it a ncp anyway. If that happened to me, as far as it is a new device, i would have asked replacement immediately.

cheers,
no_nuke

The Following User Says Thank You to no_nuke For This Useful Post: