Active Topics

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 1,142 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Earth
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
Extension port, it's a no go at this point. It adds unnecessary cost (a lot) and I think Jolla made the mistake on Jolla 1.
I find this point intriguing, I'm genuinely curious how this could add a lot of costs.

Specifically, I'm not asking for a full blown dedicated port (like Apple's Lightning port, or like laptops accessory bays), but just a few apparent contact points that a tinkerer could tap into to access one of the buses of the phone (I2C, USB, whatever is availble).
I was (perhaps wrongly... please update my knowledge !) that this shouldn't be that much complex, either just leaving some traces visible from under the battery cover, or maybe the additional cost of pogo-pins for convenience (they didn't seem that expensive when they were a must for XBox haxking), maybe at worst a chip to buffer voltages (not necessary for I2C as far as I know).

I was under the impression this doen't raises to much the costs from a hardware point (no custom mechanical port, just a few traces and pogo pins) nor from the software (the kernel already has a driver for the I2C bus for the sensors).
I would be work for the UI/UX habdling them, but that's basically the work foe the actual tinkerer building stuff on them (see drikv and kimoli's work on Jolla TOHKBD).

I'm specifically NOT interested in something like Jolla's "The Other Half" NFC platform. That would require extra chips (NFC radio) and extra software (the whole platform for automatically detecting OtherHalf's NFC, downloading corresponding software packages - like drivers or ambiance, etc.)
That's tons of work for just a small non-essential feature.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DrYak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by DrYak View Post
I find this point intriguing, I'm genuinely curious how this could add a lot of costs.

Specifically, I'm not asking for a full blown dedicated port (like Apple's Lightning port, or like laptops accessory bays), but just a few apparent contact points that a tinkerer could tap into to access one of the buses of the phone (I2C, USB, whatever is availble).
I was (perhaps wrongly... please update my knowledge !) that this shouldn't be that much complex, either just leaving some traces visible from under the battery cover, or maybe the additional cost of pogo-pins for convenience (they didn't seem that expensive when they were a must for XBox haxking), maybe at worst a chip to buffer voltages (not necessary for I2C as far as I know).

I was under the impression this doen't raises to much the costs from a hardware point (no custom mechanical port, just a few traces and pogo pins) nor from the software (the kernel already has a driver for the I2C bus for the sensors).
I would be work for the UI/UX habdling them, but that's basically the work foe the actual tinkerer building stuff on them (see drikv and kimoli's work on Jolla TOHKBD).

I'm specifically NOT interested in something like Jolla's "The Other Half" NFC platform. That would require extra chips (NFC radio) and extra software (the whole platform for automatically detecting OtherHalf's NFC, downloading corresponding software packages - like drivers or ambiance, etc.)
That's tons of work for just a small non-essential feature.
Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. I would explain into details later but it's impossible. My suggestion is to get something else if that is important to you.

Update: Here are some reasons behind:

- The PCBA has already proven bug-free and stablised. Even small modifications can sometimes cause some troubles and result serious delays. Plus this is a high end qualcomm solution, the cost will be enormous.

- We are currently resolving difficulties of the FPC of front camera and the screen, to attach to the bottom board. Plus the battery mounting method to make it removable. These are already not easy in structural point of view, I don't want to open more slots to make extra complexity.

In general it's not a good idea to implement it at this stage, considering risk, cost we can afford, and timeline. I would spend the effort in the internal structure, especially fpc with the moving parts.

And this is Lauta revival - like N9, the principle is to make the device beautiful, modern*, stylish and with a great choice of OS. It's not meant to be DIY. I also need to make it commercially successful, at least to cover the costs.

*Lauta/N9 had the best rear camera at it's time. So we have implemented modern 2017 dual rear camera system - with dual flash. Probably what Nokia will be doing if they survived today.

Update 2: It's in the future if I have more funds available, I would make this available.

Last edited by chenliangchen; 2017-07-22 at 08:02.

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 32 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Aug 2015 @ Crow's Nest, Souvereignty of Faerie Fae
Originally Posted by taixzo View Post
speaking of which, why haven't we got Doom running on the Jolla already? It's been ported to pretty much everything else.
I'd be more interested in Bastion...
https://www.gog.com/game/bastion
http://store.steampowered.com/app/107100/Bastion/

Last edited by indie carmayne; 2017-07-21 at 19:54. Reason: Adding GOG + Steam links

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to indie carmayne For This Useful Post:
Posts: 339 | Thanked: 1,623 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ France
Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. I would explain into details later but it's impossible.
On the other hand, there is one thing that could allows to expand quite easily the phone without much new developments (considering there is already a device USB present for charge and PC connection) : USB OTG (both device and host).

Is it something that is available on the PCB you target ?
If so, is it one that can power a device (like a USB storage device, a mouse, a thermal camera, ...), or one that needs a powered adapter cable ?

Obviously, I would understand if it were not available.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Zeta For This Useful Post:
Posts: 32 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Aug 2015 @ Crow's Nest, Souvereignty of Faerie Fae
Originally Posted by tommo View Post
If you look under 'backers' on the indiegogo page , jolla bought one.
I can only guess it's a birthday present for Dave
Really?!? Absolutely shocking! Maybe they wanna know why the hell it didn't work out for them in the first place + at least one of them is still curious enough how on earth it's done right? <scnr> *this must have come from deep inside of my black soul*

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to indie carmayne For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Guys, no need to look for me in the list. I have already said I wouldn't back this campaign for already mentioned reasons.
Boooo! But anyways, I still love you Kermit - and your great sense of humour....! <malicious grin> You're okay in my book, Davey...

The Following User Says Thank You to indie carmayne For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. I would explain into details later but it's impossible. My suggestion is to get something else if that is important to you.

Update: Here are some reasons behind:

- The PCBA has already proven bug-free and stablised. Even small modifications can sometimes cause some troubles and result serious delays. Plus this is a high end qualcomm solution, the cost will be enormous.

- We are currently resolving difficulties of the FPC of front camera and the screen, to attach to the bottom board. Plus the battery mounting method to make it removable. These are already not easy in structural point of view, I don't want to open more slots to make extra complexity.

In general it's not a good idea to implement it at this stage, considering risk, cost we can afford, and timeline. I would spend the effort in the internal structure, especially fpc with the moving parts.

And this is Lauta revival - like N9, the principle is to make the device beautiful, modern*, stylish and with a great choice of OS. It's not meant to be DIY. I also need to make it commercially successful, at least to cover the costs.

*Lauta/N9 had the best rear camera at it's time. So we have implemented modern 2017 dual rear camera system - with dual flash. Probably what Nokia will be doing if they survived today.
Seems to be more advanced than I thought already!

I agree with Zeta that USB-OTG would be wonderful, it offers so many possibilities that this is a shame it's not a standard. But of course it's not so easy to make it work on a device made from the parts and software that can be found on the market I suppose.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 362 | Thanked: 1,373 times | Joined on Nov 2015 @ Sweden
I just bought the screen protector so I better get my tablet this time, or I will go berserk. I am Swedish after all...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to eson For This Useful Post:
Status Update at Campaign's End:

Hi guys, as I've not yet seen it posted here The Youyota Indigogo campaign sucessfully ended like this:

126.866 USD (251% of the funding goal of 50.000 USD) reached in 15 days by (theoretically) 528 Supporters - you have to deduct accessories only orders I think to get the real figure.

It would be interesting to find out how many Sailfish tablets will make it out in the wild by September (Jolla tablet, Aigo X86, Youyota Tablet). Will aftersales of the Youyota (post-campaign sales) make it at some point economically viable to Jolla (or any other manufacturer/developer) to further create more hardware/software for Sailfish devices, especially tablets?

Last edited by indie carmayne; 2017-07-21 at 19:30. Reason: there was one number missing in the final amount - it must be 126.866 USD, of course!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to indie carmayne For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by indie carmayne View Post
126.866 USD (251% of the funding goal of 50.000 USD) reached in 15 days
The way you separated those dots looks so wrong to me! Looks like Chen raised a whopping $127 and only had a goal of $50 I found this quite interesting - bet the differences have caused a few headaches when trading internationally!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla tablet, sailfish os