Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I'm quite sure I should already know this, but that's a pentile display?
Crap. A lot of people with Android Bionic (which uses pentile AMOLED too) are complaining (not overly.. but still..) about the pentile tendency to make the screen wonky whenever you look at it while it's moving, whenever you scroll small things around on the screen and also has problems with clarity of small text, especially white text on black and there's some kind of problem with color gradients--like it blocks certain shades.

Does the N9 exhibit any of that? Of all the nitpicking complaints I've read on here, I don't think that anybody's mentioned any of that so far.

Apparently, pentile displays are cheaper to produce and possibly better on battery life at the cost of some visual weirdness like the stuff mentioned above but then not all pentile displays are the same with the same problems.

Anyway, as reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PenTile_matrix_family
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Hey Dudes and lads and ladies, I'm back!

I just want to tell you that n9 is the best worst phone ever. You never reach step 5. NEVER! Everywhere you go with this phone it's always step 4 of 5. It goes for the phone, the OS and the programs. It's always one little thing in the way of completion.

But at the same time, the OS is very nice and fun. Now it's time to see if they can integrate swipe UI in WP8 I'm sure they can!

the countdown is over! Buy the phone today!

well, well, well. time to create another goodbye thread where you all can Trollorollororlorlororloollo. See you when you get there.

Arriba!

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

PenTile AMOLED is a pretty common arrangement. There's also some pointers on diffences: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_AMOLED

Isn't Nokia's own Super AMOLED competitor called AMOLED Clear Black Display? Anyhow, as I've gathered N9's panel isn't CBD but it has a polarizing filter that's suppose to improve daylight performance and is comparable to CBD (err, what? Yeah.). Seriously thought, I'm not even relatively interested in this kind of acronym mambo jambo. It just sounds like someone is trying to deceive the customers.

All I've read is positive feedback on the display. I think I've seen Nokia referring N9's display as 2.5D because of the way it appears as the panel is very close to the glass. Or something.

The Following User Says Thank You to awex For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
Dave, button it you bore.

Originally Posted by awex View Post
PenTile AMOLED is a pretty common arrangement. There's also some pointers on diffences: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_AMOLED

Isn't Nokia's own Super AMOLED competitor called AMOLED Clear Black Display? Anyhow, as I've gathered N9's panel isn't CBD but it has a polarizing filter that's suppose to improve daylight performance and is comparable to CBD.
CBD is that added layer, polarizing filter. That's what they said back when the first CBD screened phones where announced at least (E7 and C6-01).

Don't really care because the screen looks amazing. It looks more sharp than my old GS that had pentile 4" S AMOLED 800x480 screen.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 57 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Denmark
Saw the same N9 commercial twice on national Danish tv last night. I know Demark is a small country but unless they plan to sell a significant part of them just here, I think mr. Eldar has been misinformed about the 92.000 units he says are to be produced.
If Nokia was my company I would not mind if my customers was in a panic to get my phones because they thought there was too few.

The Following User Says Thank You to MortenS For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by MortenS View Post
Saw the same N9 commercial twice on national Danish tv last night. I know Demark is a small country but unless they plan to sell a significant part of them just here, I think mr. Eldar has been misinformed about the 92.000 units he says are to be produced.
If Nokia was my company I would not mind if my customers was in a panic to get my phones because they thought there was too few.
Eldar has been missinformed. I will buy 92 000 myself , so if you have one eldar is wrong. When it comes to real numbers I guess that the n900 will be sold in higher numbers than n9 worldwide. I don't have the number infront of me so lets see in a few months.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
In my (admittedly short so far) time Iwith the phone I can't say I've noticed any drawback that could be because the screen is pentile.

Are there any kind of test patterns/images I can get to from the browser too see if it is actually pentile?

It has to be said that the screen is really good, and in sunlight it outperforms the N900 dramatically.

Being a hwkb guy I have to say I really don't like the portrait VKB (big hands and fingers) and would have preferred having a T9 option, at least for one handed use. Perhaps I'll like it better when I get used to it. In landscape the vkb is ok.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Vaskinn For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
/slap erendorn
danramos slaps erendorn with a wet trout.
_
The correct term here is cornhobble (or cornobble)... to hit with a fish

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FranzDages For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Vaskinn View Post
In my (admittedly short so far) time Iwith the phone I can't say I've noticed any drawback that could be because the screen is pentile.
Are there any kind of test patterns/images I can get to from the browser too see if it is actually pentile?
It has to be said that the screen is really good, and in sunlight it outperforms the N900 dramatically.
Thanks Vaskin!
If you decide to test the screen or wish to discuss the matter further with others users/owners.
Can you please do so here...
N9 owners: answer questions & get help!

Being a hwkb guy I have to say I really don't like the portrait VKB (big hands and fingers) and would have preferred having a T9 option, at least for one handed use. Perhaps I'll like it better when I get used to it. In landscape the vkb is ok.
I personally use small/portable BT qwerty's for serious typing, prefer them to built-in's.
But "different strokes for different folks"...
Hopefully there'll be some good keyb accessories suggested here soon:
N9 Accessory: Batteries, Cases, Car Holders, Gaming, etc

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????