Does this move to Linux Foundation 'control' mean that we can expect to see non-Nokia phone devices using Meego/Maemo in the near future?

i.e. will nokia n9xx devices in future be similar the Google Nexus 1, in that they are merely an in-house implementation of the android platform?

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
Originally Posted by REMFwhoopitydo View Post

i.e. will nokia n9xx devices in future be similar the Google Nexus 1, in that they are merely an in-house implementation of the android platform?
no nokia actually make there devices not just stick there name on them like google are doing with nexus series just to drive android

Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
I was excited until I saw the move away from being a Debian based distribution. As a developer and Ubuntu user, I loved it. Now, I'm sad.

EDIT: I was also sad when Moblin made the switch.

The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:
From the meego faq site:

http://meego.com/about/faq

Q - Will MeeGo use .rpm or .deb as its packaging system?
MeeGo will use the .rpm format
Why? Is this based on a "Moblin" decision?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to soeiro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
Originally Posted by soeiro View Post
From the meego faq site:

http://meego.com/about/faq

Why? Is this based on a "Moblin" decision?
its a little compromise, i'm sure we will see many decisions Maemo driven too

Originally Posted by Zidust View Post
And where can you see that nokia have announced that n900 WON'T be upgradeable to Meego? There are as a matter of fact some things that tells us that n900 will be upgradeable to Meego. One thing is that they say that Meego will have support for ARM. Another one is that there is a n900 on MeeGos frontpage. I highly doubt that they would have one there if it wouldn't be upgradeable to Meego,

Hopefully we n900 users will be able to upgrade to this one later.
Originally Posted by salawat View Post
so to make this clear to me- there is a small chance that the n900 will be getting meego, however if it doesnt(most likely), there is a great chance that it will be ported to the n900 via community, also if n900 is forgotten by nokia, it will be very easy to port apps, etc. to the n900 if the n900 gets an official release of QT 4.6?
Too many If's. There was already speculation about whether the N900 was getting QT 4.6 and Maemo 6, and now that Maemo 6 is just an instance of Meego, probably greater speculation. What happened to the N900/maemo 5 being step 4 of 5? Does the introduction of Meego re-set that step count?

Given the current level of support for the N900 what makes anyone think this will increase now that Nokia have a new focus?

And using an N900 (albeit one that is not clearly identified as any particular device, it just looks like one) in a publicity shot guarantees nothing.

Last edited by Freemantle; 2010-02-15 at 13:51. Reason: spelling

will this new openness interfere with paid applications?

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
This is great. Except the switch to RPM which is not great.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ColonelKilkenny For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
no nokia actually make there devices not just stick there name on them like google are doing with nexus series just to drive android
you kind of missed the point, specifically: Does this move to Linux Foundation 'control' mean that we can expect to see non-Nokia phone devices using Meego/Maemo in the near future?

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
The MeeGo API is based on Qt and Web Runtime (which sits on top of QtWebKit, which sits on top of Qt). This was/is exactly the API plan for Harmattan (no wonder since MeeGo is a result of merging Maemo and Moblin).

So two conclusions:

- The arrival of MeeGo doesn't change anything in terms of API offered to developers. Except that MeeGo also supports GTK+, while in the Maemo roadmap this toolkit appeared as "community supported". Result = same or better situation than before.

- As soon as Qt 4.6 gets officially supported in Maemo 5, the building blocks to be API compatible with MeeGo will be there.

Translation to end users: getting MeeGo apps to run on top of Maemo 5 shouldn't be a rocket science and maybe they just work. MeeGo will attract more developers to this API = more apps = more joy for N900 users.

About supporting officially the entire MeeGo running on the N900 hardware, it's a business decision and Nokia hasn't communicate the plans. In any case MeeGo is entirely open source, and the hardware adaptation is already in place in Maemo 5. If someone was thinking in running Mer in the N900, now the alternative is run the MeeGo stack instead. Less work on the boring and complex low level stuff and more fun in the layers that really interest to end users.

Some people is saying that now Nokia is moving "to another platform". It's not!

MeeGo is the natural evolution of Maemo, with plenty of common components.
MeeGo is the natural evolution of Moblin, with plenty of common components.

It's just that Maemo and Moblin were sharing so many similarities at a platform level. Please understand this to realize that if you are N900 users or Harmattan-device propective users, your future perspectives only improve with MeeGo.
And what are Nokia's immediate plans for the future of the N900?

The Following User Says Thank You to Freemantle For This Useful Post:

Tags
let maemo live!, maemo vs. moblin war, rpm vs. deb war