Notices

Poll: Do you think nokia/maemo have been daft to remove the emulators?
Poll Options
Do you think nokia/maemo have been daft to remove the emulators?

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
N900 device itself should be illegal for even allowing a software such as emulators to even run. =P

Emulators are not illegal whatsoever. Not so sure about roms.
But you can't even buy a "new" SNES console or cartridge anymore.
So shouldn't Nintendo be happy that such old games are still being loved? =P

Posts: 296 | Thanked: 126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ New York City
Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
N900 device itself should be illegal for even allowing a software such as emulators to even run. =P

Emulators are not illegal whatsoever. Not so sure about roms.
But you can't even buy a "new" SNES console or cartridge anymore.
So shouldn't Nintendo be happy that such old games are still being loved? =P
They are happy about it...especially since they're reselling the games via virtual console on wii.

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Emulators are not illegal. Playing ROMs with them emulators however are. That's the issue at hand. Nintendo saw a Nokia employee in an official Nokia sponsored Youtube video playing a Nintendo game on the emulator.

Had the Nokia employee been playing some homebrew on the emulator then Nintendo would have no grounds (though they like to say that they do but in law they do not).
Emmulators have, to the best of my knowledge, never been shown as either legal or illegal. From my understand of the Nintendo communication, they are challenging that position. I beleieve that they are asserting infringement of Intellectual Copyright. Any such judgement would effectively be aimed at the emmulator itself.

Nokia would be a target of lititgation if it were helping distribute such software if shown to be illegal. By removing the pacakges from it's repository Nokia is showing couts that it is being responsible until the matter is decided & hopefully removing the case for litigation against itself.

Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
Emmulators have, to the best of my knowledge, never been shown as either legal or illegal. From my understand of the Nintendo communication, they are challenging that position. I beleieve that they are asserting infringement of Intellectual Copyright. Any such judgement would effectively be aimed at the emmulator itself.

Nokia would be a target of lititgation if it were helping distribute such software if shown to be illegal. By removing the pacakges from it's repository Nokia is showing couts that it is being responsible until the matter is decided & hopefully removing the case for litigation against itself.
Oranges have also, to the best of my knowledge, never been shown as either legal or illegal.

Nokia has no problem breaking the GPL, but is suddenly playing chicken when they get a letter from Nintendo. This shows exactly how much maemo.org is a "website of the community".

BTW, it seems that both sourceforge and google have no problem with actively supporting Nintendo emulators.

http://www.freebsdsoftware.org/emulators/vgb-bin.html

http://nestopia.sourceforge.net/

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by Matan View Post
Oranges have also, to the best of my knowledge, never been shown as either legal or illegal.

Nokia has no problem breaking the GPL, but is suddenly playing chicken when they get a letter from Nintendo. This shows exactly how much maemo.org is a "website of the community".

BTW, it seems that both sourceforge and google have no problem with actively supporting Nintendo emulators.

http://www.freebsdsoftware.org/emulators/vgb-bin.html

http://nestopia.sourceforge.net/
Oranges have never launched an IP litigation either so that would tend to answer that question. The point I was answering is the assertion that emmulators as legal: simply not the case across all legislative frameworks as far as I can see. If you have proof otherwise then I will quite happily accept that point, I'm sure Nokia would appreciate the information too.

The repositories and the website are not the same entities, if you wish to discuss the matter here you are able to do so. Regardless of your wish to use the emmulator, which you can if you hook the correct repository, Nokia showing active support would be viewed dimly by a court if shown to fall foul of IP issues. The whole website would then stop being hosted as a likely consequence.

As for the links provided, I see nothing mentioning requests from Nintendo for these organisations to cease & desist: would you care to post? If not then the situation is not comparible.

Last edited by Fargus; 2009-12-27 at 10:35. Reason: Comments on provided Links...

The Following User Says Thank You to Fargus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by mysticrokks View Post
"There's no concept of "space shifting" here. You're straight up making a copy of a full product. There's nothing that allows that and it is fully illegal.
"

????????

you own the product , you can do what yo like with it, you can noit distribute a copy mind
No, you don't actually own the product. You own a license to use the product the way it was given to you, as a program on a cartridge. You are *not* allowed to have a copy of a console game even if you own the game in question.

Tags
atari, nintendo