Active Topics

yesterday was released the new version of the android sdk. When will it be avaible for n810?
Thanks
Bye

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Liberty, SC
I am not trying to be curt here but if you search on the term "android" the forums will kick back 135 threads in the search results including yours. Have you read any of those before posting a new thread?

Posts: 223 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ home
The answer is basically: when someone gets to it. I don't have the time or the head to do all the kernel patches needed, but Android doesn't run native on the n8X0 yet, anyways.

We need to wait for the full source to be released for that (Q4 08), or someone could try to port the old source.... I may give that a look tonight. maybe. (busybusybusy!)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jzencovich For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
What I'd rather see than "Android on the NIT" is "Android Compatibility for the NIT".

What I mean is, an add-on package for the NIT which gives you the basic apps, and capabilities of Android, without giving up Maemo. And then you can use their app store to download more apps and the like. Then you get all of Android's benefits, and all of Maemo's benefits.

The Following User Says Thank You to johnkzin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 223 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ home
Interesting idea.... problem is that Maemo doesn't do Java afaik.

So first, we need a java RE. Then, some way to load all of the Delvik libraries/runtime components....

Possible in a way, but would require a good deal of hackery imo.

It would be nice if we could use some of the built in omap java chips... Omap 3/Maemo 5?

I agree that it'd take probably a ton more work than just slapping Android on it. But, I also bet it'd be a more satisfying experience, overall.

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
@johnkzin: For that we'll definitely need to wait for the source.

According to:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Burnette/?p=590&page=2

"Q. Can I deploy Linux apps on real handsets? With a modified Qemu?
Expect the Android framework to run on top of other mobile Linux efforts.
A. Qemu depends on OEM or carrier. It’s possible that upgrades may have to be signed by carrier.

As far as native code goes, we don’t currently have a bunch of the standard Unix X type stuff in there. Command line stuff compiles and runs as is. Expect that once this is open sourced, people will bolt on an X server and traditional Unix/Linux into the framework. While Java is the primary development language for Android 1.0, the system has been designed to support multiple platforms including native. Also expect the Android framework to run on top of other mobile Linux efforts."

That last sentence is key. It will be available on other mobile linux platforms, so some form of kit will be available for exactly that goal. And I wonder how hard it'd be to convince Nokia and Google/Android to put Maemo on that list.

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
Well luckily they *don't have.* This can be a 100% community effort. In fact, all it should require is getting each android app to run in its own X window. After that the integration to maemo would be pretty straightforward. Even the buttons on the G1 are pretty darn close to the available buttons on the N800. Frankly I'm really looking forward to this. I don't see any point to rush in until we have source though...

Is there any word when the source is going to be available? Are they waiting until G1 actually gets into the consumers hands? Afterall, Gizmondo has gotten it.... blah.

Tags
android, n810