Active Topics

Closed Thread
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
As you say, the decision itself is straightforward. It's what, if anything, they get replaced with. A proposal along the lines of "delete X, replace Y with .... and change all instances of V in Z with W" is easier to get approval for and rolled out.
Then I propose to revise the terms of use, privacy policy and contribution guidelines by changing all instances of "Nokia" with "maemo.org".

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ void
Can a poster add tags to a thread? I searched the wiki but it doesn't seem to give instructions of how to do this. Thanks!

Yes, just click the "Edit Tags" link at the bottom of the page :-) Hardly seems wiki-worthy to me.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,637 | Thanked: 4,424 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Germany

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nicolai For This Useful Post:
Posts: 152 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ void
Got it. Thanks!

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Just thought that this should be brought to the Councils' attention, figured this was a good as anywhere. Peter @ Instinctiv is reporting that Nokia is discouraging them from developing for Maemo.

With the addition of QT, everyone keeps talking about how easy it is to port among the different OS's (at least in theory). So, shouldn't Nokia be promoting the use of QT as a way to develop for Maemo / MeeGo / Symbian, multiple platforms instead of discouraging developing for one of them?

If Nokia is discouraging development for Maemo, how many developers will think to port their QT app to Maemo if they are being told it is EOL'd?

Perhaps I've misunderstood what Peter meant by his post, but is this something the Maemo Community Council should look into? Talk with Peter and any contacts at Nokia? I'd like to think this is a mis-understanding and not Nokia intentionally undercutting a device/os that is barely a year old.

I'll drop a link to this post in that thread as well.

So, the question is: Does the Maemo Community Council feel this is worth looking into?

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
Just thought that this should be brought to the Councils' attention, figured this was a good as anywhere. Peter @ Instinctiv is reporting that Nokia is discouraging them from developing for Maemo.

With the addition of QT, everyone keeps talking about how easy it is to port among the different OS's (at least in theory). So, shouldn't Nokia be promoting the use of QT as a way to develop for Maemo / MeeGo / Symbian, multiple platforms instead of discouraging developing for one of them?

If Nokia is discouraging development for Maemo, how many developers will think to port their QT app to Maemo if they are being told it is EOL'd?

Perhaps I've misunderstood what Peter meant by his post, but is this something the Maemo Community Council should look into? Talk with Peter and any contacts at Nokia? I'd like to think this is a mis-understanding and not Nokia intentionally undercutting a device/os that is barely a year old.

I'll drop a link to this post in that thread as well.

So, the question is: Does the Maemo Community Council feel this is worth looking into?
What it comes down to is that Maemo has been EOL'd and its successor, MeeGo, has yet to ship. At a minimum, what that means to us is there are no commercial prospects for us. Nokia was very forthcoming about their roadmap and I appreciate their candor. As a small company, we can't afford to be developing for platforms that we can't monetize.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peter@instinctiv.com For This Useful Post:
Posts: 257 | Thanked: 205 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sydney, Australia
Did reading this http://maemo.org/community/council/s...aemo-q32010-2/ not give you hope for the future of maemo? It did me.

Posts: 1,637 | Thanked: 4,424 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Germany
Is there anything that can be said about this:

Originally Posted by CommunityCouncil View Post
ideas about opening various pieces of Maemo source code that are still closed
I mean, for the community it is really important to open more
parts of maemo. But a single statement like that above isn't
really helpful without saying what ideas and what parts.

Nicolai

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
Indeed. As we did with the licencing queue, this has been raised. The former got us an honest (albeit disappointing response) from Quim and so I hope for the same here.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
council