hello. I have a juicy problem, when I boot up my phone, it plays the 2 videos that came with the n900 ok. first one is a trailer for Number 9 movie, the other is some n900 movie.

I added 2 DIVX movies on there. Paranormal activity, and the Hangover HD.

the very first time I ran the phone ever, it was able to play paranormal activity. the other just says format not supported.

I updated my phone with the 2 updates from a couple weeks ago.

now neither of them play. it just says "format not supported"

and worse, it wont play ANY movies. the other two movies just sit and load with a loading screen... eventually I just cancel and exit the media player.

if I restart the phone, I can play the 2 movies that came with the phone, but the instant i TRY to play the divx movies, bam, format not supported, and no videos will play on my phone until I restart.

lame.

anyone have this problem?

You have hit two bugs.

1. If you play an unsupported video the n900 has to be rebooted to play videos.

2. The PR1.1 introduced a regression on files with chapter marks.
If you have chapter marks then it wont play and you end up in the above loop.

You can workaround this by installing the subtitles plugin in extras -dev.

Also you need to update the extras codec pack after upgrading to pr1.1

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikec For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Search.
Many. Its already in bugzilla and probably its fixed in next FW. Meantime try Kmplayer from extras.

.edit
Subtitles plugin fixes this?

The Following User Says Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
I have the exact same problem. Please tell me this only affects a minority of the N900's, because this is killer bug!

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by roger_27 View Post
the very first time I ran the phone ever, it was able to play paranormal activity. the other just says format not supported.

I updated my phone with the 2 updates from a couple weeks ago.

now neither of them play. it just says "format not supported"
1) Install "Extra Decoders Support" from extras-devel repository (a real package name is decoders-support).

2) Vote for bug 8165 - https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8165

The Following User Says Thank You to egoshin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by slender View Post
Search.
Many. Its already in bugzilla and probably its fixed in next FW. Meantime try Kmplayer from extras.

.edit
Subtitles plugin fixes this?
Yep, does on mine

yeah i just noticed this problem now its really annoying if it cant play one video it will stop playng even the ones it used to play perfectly before only wy to get them working is restarting the phone hope its fixed soon as its frustrating

I'm new to Maemo, so I'm not sure if my problem falls under the same umbrella here. I upgraded my Nokia N900 to the latest firmware, but I cannot even play normal .mp4 movies on it.

I rip the DVD with DVD Shrink, and then take the ripped file and use Handbrake to convert it into an .mp4 using the standard Normal settings. The movies play fine in all players on my PC, but when I transfer it over to my N900, (which I cannot do through the video manager of PC Suite, I have to do it manually via drag and drop), the N900 tells me the format is not supported.

They are normal .mp4 H.264 videos, which I thought the N900 supported out of the box...

Any suggestions?

Posts: 398 | Thanked: 301 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Texas
Take a look at this wiki article. It provides a Handbrake profile that will work on the N900 (or use Ipod for lower quality videos). Make sure chapter markers are off in either case until PR1.1 is upgraded.

FWIW, h.264 encompasses a lot of territory. The N900 plays a subset of everything that h.264 is capable of, like the ipod and other video players that claim to support h.264.

Frank

Originally Posted by jeck77 View Post
I'm new to Maemo, so I'm not sure if my problem falls under the same umbrella here. I upgraded my Nokia N900 to the latest firmware, but I cannot even play normal .mp4 movies on it.

I rip the DVD with DVD Shrink, and then take the ripped file and use Handbrake to convert it into an .mp4 using the standard Normal settings. The movies play fine in all players on my PC, but when I transfer it over to my N900, (which I cannot do through the video manager of PC Suite, I have to do it manually via drag and drop), the N900 tells me the format is not supported.

They are normal .mp4 H.264 videos, which I thought the N900 supported out of the box...

Any suggestions?

The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Banul For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Frank Banul View Post
Take a look at this wiki article. It provides a Handbrake profile that will work on the N900 (or use Ipod for lower quality videos). Make sure chapter markers are off in either case until PR1.1 is upgraded.

FWIW, h.264 encompasses a lot of territory. The N900 plays a subset of everything that h.264 is capable of, like the ipod and other video players that claim to support h.264.

Frank
Thank you! When I get home I will follow the guide on that wiki!