So I got my N900 today, and naturally the first thing I did was install the ssh-client. It's awesome, I love having a fully featured ssh-client, including X-forwarding, in my pocket.

The only thing missing in the ssh-department for me is sshfs. I tend to use it alot and it would be really sweet to have.

Naturally, I googled and forum searched, and found someone claiming there was already a functioning port of fuse and sshfs for the N900. I even found a fuse+sshfs port that might possibly work (mfuse), but it hasn't seen any code submissions since january... And I haven't found anyone linking to it (or any other fuse port for that matter) in an N900/fremantle context. Basically I'm rather hesitant about trying it, as I don't want to cause any potential harm to my precious new toy

So, does anyone know if it works? Or is there another port floating around the net that I simply haven't found?

Posts: 121 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ New York, US
There is sshfs and it works. I use it.
In one of the maemo repositories there is the sshfs package.
If it's in the maemo-devel then be aware of the risks (not very well tested software, basically you're the tester).

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dnastase For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Yes, sshfs is in the repos, I use it too. Probably in the extras-devel repo.

That explains why I couldn't find it, hadn't activated extras-devel apparently.

Anyway, thanks for the help!

Posts: 127 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Aspen Colorado
So I checked the Maemo Extras-devel catalog and didn't see SSHFS as a standalone application. I enabled extras-devel, and I did find a bunch Dropbear utilities and gftp that say they support sshfs, but I really just want the same functionality I have on my desktop, just "sshfs user@server /share /mountpoint." Which one do you use?

Keep in mind, I want to mount volumes on my N900, not the other way around.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 白い熊 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
As White Bear points out on his website, you have to do it from the (root) command line:

Code:
apt-get install sshfs
Note that there's no gui for this, so you'll have to do everything on the command line...

e.g. from root:

Code:
modprobe fuse
mkdir -p /home/user/MyDocs/lanvideo
sshfs bob@192.168.0.5:/media/videos /home/user/MyDocs/lanvideo -o allow_other

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 127 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Aspen Colorado
That worked great! Thanks again!

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
There seem to be some problems though. I cannot "fusermount -u mount_path" because it complains "mount: can't find mount_path in /etc/fstab".

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Engerland
There seems to be a bug (maybe intentional) in the fuse package.

In debian proper any user can mount a fuse filesystem (that is the point of fuse after all) if they are a member of the group "fuse".

There is a udev rule (/etc/udev/rules.d/91-permissions.rules) that tries to set the group ownership of /dev/fuse to "fuse", but fails (presumably) because the group doesn't exist.

To be able to mount sshfs as a user you can either (all must be done as root)

a) chown root:users /dev/fuse (which doesn't persist after a reboot)

b) edit the line in 91-permissions.rules so that it references the "users" group rather than "fuse" (wot I done).

c) add the fuse group and add "user" to it.

The best solution is probably d) add the "fuse" group when the fuse package is installed.

I'll try and find out how I report that bug as I'm a bit new to the N900/maemo.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kenchy For This Useful Post:

Tags
fuse, ssh, sshfs