Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
It seems that the Odroid-A development tablet has gone into production as of April 5th 2011.

http://hardkernel.com/renewal_2011/main.php

This device features the Exynos 4120 SoC and some very impressive performance (especially at 1366x768).

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
While I'm sure others like the idea of an Android remote control, I quietly agree with cheve on this point--why? I'm not sure this thing is worth it. Infrared remotes are cheap--even fancier ones are cheaper than this. What are they trying to fix by slapping Android on it?
I personally cannot wait for the day we finally turn our backs on IR as a remote control method.

Yes, it is cheap, and flexible enough for most needs. But the line-of-sight requirement is just absurd these days.

How many people out there have their gear in a cabinet with an IR eye outside running a wire into the cab to an IR transmitter?

Less IR not more! Can we just put zigbee in everything and be done with IR forever? I'd happily incur the cost.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paulkoan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by paulkoan View Post
I personally cannot wait for the day we finally turn our backs on IR as a remote control method.

Yes, it is cheap, and flexible enough for most needs. But the line-of-sight requirement is just absurd these days.

How many people out there have their gear in a cabinet with an IR eye outside running a wire into the cab to an IR transmitter?

Less IR not more! Can we just put zigbee in everything and be done with IR forever? I'd happily incur the cost.
Hear hear!

I completely agree with this. Oh, and bluetooth, while functional needs a better system of automated 'pairing' and seriously needs to consume less power -- Bluetooth Low Energy should help with these. I suspect these two aspects of the BT network layer keeps IR products stocking the shelves.

Either this or LAN enabled devices. Nothing like the ol' TCP/IP to bridge the divide.

In time, a functional solution will supplant IR.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
What do you guys think between the HTC Sensation or Samsung Galaxy S II? Though I'm sticking with T-Mobile.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
What do you guys think between the HTC Sensation or Samsung Galaxy S II? Though I'm sticking with T-Mobile.
It seems like a battle of inches, and both devices are poised to be very solid offerings.

The Galaxy S II looks slightly more premium, IMO, with the ultra gorgeous SAMOLED+ screen, a super slim body, and larger battery. The S line also traditionally has exceptional audio quality (loaded and unloaded) and a choice touch sensor on the front of the device. The SII also includes notable features like NFC.

But there are tradeoffs. Sammy is generally pretty slow with the updates, and the S II has a lower screen res.

The jury is out regarding which device will perform better, though I suspect that it will be a relatively close match.

I say, wait for reviews before making a final judgement. On paper these things look flawless, but the true flaws are often revealed in the field.

Last edited by Capt'n Corrupt; 2011-04-14 at 02:27.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Increased probability of error (leaving tablet in) == increased chance of break-in. Try explaining to your mum (or some other older adult) why she has to remove this device each and every time she leaves the car. I can see some of my friends forgetting or being to lazy to remove such a system every time they get out of the car as well.
My mom is just the sort of tech-noob to do a lot of dumb things, but I don't think I've ever seen her leave behind the iPod (the one I recently replaced for her with the CM7 Nook Color) in the car when she got out--sounds like an anecdotal experience on both sides of this issue.

Regardless, perhaps the tablet bay in the car could have a slide-up cover to hide it when the car's been turned off for half a minute... then slides open when you unlock the car door (so it's ready and open by the time you sit down). My Honda Del Sol has a slide-cover to protect the radio (since it's got a removable hard top), except that mine is not motorized and automatic.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
My mom is just the sort of tech-noob to do a lot of dumb things, but I don't think I've ever seen her leave behind the iPod (the one I recently replaced for her with the CM7 Nook Color) in the car when she got out--sounds like an anecdotal experience on both sides of this issue.

Regardless, perhaps the tablet bay in the car could have a slide-up cover to hide it when the car's been turned off for half a minute... then slides open when you unlock the car door (so it's ready and open by the time you sit down). My Honda Del Sol has a slide-cover to protect the radio (since it's got a removable hard top), except that mine is not motorized and automatic.
This is not a bad idea at all! I'll take it a step up. I'd gladly take auto-tinting of the windows when the car is off -- LCD, baby! Wooo! This way, the entire internal contents are hidden when the car is off.

My only concern would be an ultra-reliable mechanism, as it would suck if an electronic error tinted the windows while driving!

Here's an interesting post on the state of network-security for certain android apps:
http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/blo...oid-smartphone

It seems that certain popular apps are sending cleartext data. Quite sad, really..

Latest [unconfrimed] news on Samsung AMOLED production nearly guarantees a future iteration of the Galaxy Tab 7!

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/04/sam...tablet-market/

We have received word that Samsung will not be able to release its intention of introducing 6″ to 9″ variants of AMOLED displays for the tablet market this year, which means it will be at least 2012 before one is able to check out an AMOLED Galaxy Tab of sorts. While there are many reasons for that happening, one of them would be Japanese companies including Nikon being unable to deliver scanners for these displays’ production lines on time due to the recent earthquake and tsunami double whammy. AMOLED displays have proved to be quite the “hit” so to speak, when it first rolled out, and Super AMOLED on the Galaxy range of smartphones from Samsung ain’t too shabby, either. Hopefully Samsung will be able to get all of this sorted out, otherwise the world would be missing out on something great (or at least, having to wait for it).
The good news?
6-9" AMOLED screen production has been known about for some time.

The bad news?
We'll have to wait until 2012 to partake in its superior colour reproduction, diminutive dimensions, and exceptional viewing angles. But this may turn out to be a false lead.

The Galaxy S2 Wikipedia page is quite packed with information!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_S_II

Some things that I thought was interesting.

The MHL connector on the bottom of the phone (think: uncompressed HDMI via USB) can supply power from an MHL enabled device! This means that if your S2 is playing 1080p content on your TV, you don't need to worry if the device is charged for the entire playback.. Very nifty.

The S2 also supports USB On The Go (Host)! This is very interesting for those hardware tinkerers out there, to pull info from a USB storage device, or drive a printer.

Also revealed are some accessories including, a dock connector (boring, but useful), a special capacitive stylus (now we're talking), and an offical case/battery extender! Interestingly, the case/battery seems to bring the devices thickness in line with other smartphones.
http://www.journaldugeek.com/2011/03...ung-galaxy-s2/

If I were to buy a smartphone, this would be at the top of my list.

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy