Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Again, no--not really. Concentrating on a me-too iPhone competitor diverted resources away from what was becoming a successful market of its own where Nokia was already ahead and Apple's iPod Touch (and later iPad) was the me-too device.

Besides all that, I thought the N900 wasn't a phone? At least, that seemed to be the defense for EVERY criticism put against it about all the lack of features and problems it has with being a reliable phone. The mantra been repeatedly, "It's a computer first, with phone functions." As a phone, it's pretty bad by most accounts I've read and from the known problems--your anecdotal experience aside.
Please take my anecdotal experience into account also -- there's nothing wrong with the N900 as a phone in my experience.

By the way, how can you charge someone with relying on anechdotal experience who at least has an N900? Are you relying on scientific studies of the N900? What journal printed them?

I would say that for most purposes, personal experience would trump about anything. The thing that doesn't trump personal experience for sure is the kind of experience you have -- none.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
This is essentially a meego vs maemo thread. The only reason why anybody would want a nokia tablet is if
a) they prefered maemo over meego
b) brand loyalty
or
c) Investment in Nokia

I mean, we have plenty of tablet manufacturers now so it doesn't make sense to me why anybody would rely on nokia to re-enter the tablet market other than a) or c). I say this because b) isn't a rational reason at all. Before anybody says "But Nokias are built like a tank" I'd say sure they use to be but these days it seems everybody wants a higher margin since the N900 has it's fair share of problems; namely USB port (never had this problem myself), white spots on screen, camera cover popping off, stand flexure mechanism breaking, magnet coming off. Still love my N900 though.

danramos is abill_uk with a spellchecker.

The Following User Says Thank You to Daneel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by Cue View Post
This is essentially a meego vs maemo thread. The only reason why anybody would want a nokia tablet is if
a) they prefered maemo over meego
b) brand loyalty
or
c) Investment in Nokia

I mean, we have plenty of tablet manufacturers now so it doesn't make sense to me why anybody would rely on nokia to re-enter the tablet market other than a) or c). I say this because b) isn't a rational reason at all. Before anybody says "But Nokias are built like a tank" I'd say sure they use to be but these days it seems everybody wants a higher margin since the N900 has it's fair share of problems; namely USB port (never had this problem myself), white spots on screen, camera cover popping off, stand flexure mechanism breaking, magnet coming off. Still love my N900 though.
This has nothing to do with maemo or meego, its about ME.

I want what I want, I never wanted meego or maemo, I want a x86 linux like experience on a small tablet. That was NEVER what was intended from the devices. Usage was somewhere between. My point is as others have asserted there was a tablet market before the n900. Make your MS phones, give us back the tablet. maemo, meego, I do not care. Hardware is all I ever asked for?

rely? no it was request

I never owned an n900, but my Nokia equipment was built solid. I would take n810 size, we just need that dual core arm
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Daneel View Post
danramos is abill_uk with a spellchecker.
Shhhhh! You don't just TELL everybody! Foreshadow it... hint at it.. see who else starts to get it too. Besides--I don't rely on a spell-checker much. It helps that I had studied journalism and worked a bit in publishing for some time, too. I can't say whether abill_uk even knows that English is a capitalized proper noun. I eagerly await his scathing reply! (Hold on.. let me log out and log back in...)

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
This has nothing to do with maemo or meego, its about ME.
I never owned an n900, but my Nokia equipment was built solid. I would take n810 size, we just need that dual core arm
Well said, man! Well said!
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
@Penguinbait: why not the wetab - they promise open hw and sw and from online videos it seems fully functional

The Following User Says Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
@Penguinbait: why not the wetab - they promise open hw and sw and from online videos it seems fully functional
Are those even being sold? I haven't seen any anywhere so far. They did look really good!
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
It's not pocketable.

The Following User Says Thank You to luca For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
That Dell streak is 379 on Newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834200283

Here is meego, somewhat running on it
http://codex.xiaoka.com/wiki/meego:streak

Some promising progress with ubuntu
http://tomasz.sterna.tv/2010/09/runn...n-dell-streak/

Its got the speed and ram and its booting linux, seems already 1/2 done to me? I would really like to find the same thing for about 200$, it would make me feel a little better about wasting money to see what may come of it. Of course if the community were to get behind a device I would be less worried about spending 400$

This place, this talk, this forum still belongs to us, the community. Maybe ITT's time for the community to set its own direction.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Posts: 143 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Bradford, (England)
they're too busy hiring [ex] Microsoft employees whose sole aim is to hijack Nokia, making it their platform to rule the mobile world.

I jest.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yaser88 For This Useful Post: