Active Topics

Originally Posted by conny View Post
JTo review the whole process I made Conboy orientation aware yesterday. In the attached screenshot you can see the note selection / search window.
This looks good so far, just two quick notes:

- Try using hildon entry placeholder text instead of the "Search:" label. It usually looks cleaner and is meant for this purpose.

- The underline for the "_Clear" button is not really needed, it just adds visual clutter on a touchscreen device.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kanishou For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 664 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Portrait mode in Conboy focusing on reading notes? Alright, makes sense. In such case portrait mode is probably associated with one hand usage / on the go.
Exactly!

What about offering the notes sorted by last edited with a visible button offering to change view to last opened sorting? This would most probably satisfy use cases like shopping list, speeches, memos, classroom notes... Probably better than defaulting to alphabetical sorting.

Probably that makes sense for landscape too?
The default sorting for both portrait and landscape mode is already "sort by date" which results in showing the last edited notes at the top of the list. The user can tap the title bar to open the window menu. There he can switch between "sort by title" and "sort by date".

[...] with a visible button offering to change view to last opened sorting [...]
I'm not sure what you mean by that. Could you elaborate please?

Originally Posted by kanishou View Post
This looks good so far, just two quick notes:

- Try using hildon entry placeholder text instead of the "Search:" label. It usually looks cleaner and is meant for this purpose.

- The underline for the "_Clear" button is not really needed, it just adds visual clutter on a touchscreen device.
Thanks for the input! I'll try the hildon entry placeholder thing.
Regarding the "_Clear" button: It's a stock button (GTK_STOCK_CLEAR). So maybe Hildon should generally suppress mnemonics on stock items?!

I tried it now but it doesn't really make sense.
The thing is, the search text entry field always has the focus. But as soon as a HildonEntry widget has the focus the placeholder text is not shown anymore. So in my case the placeholder text is only shown while panning the list, because this is the only situation that the HildonEntry does not have the focus....

Thanks for the input! I'll try the hildon entry placeholder thing.
Regarding the "_Clear" button: It's a stock button (GTK_STOCK_CLEAR). So maybe Hildon should generally suppress mnemonics on stock items?!
Right, those should be disabled in the SDK. I will have a look at this.

But there is another problem with using a stock button, in that it doesn't adopt the right themeing by default. I would suggest to use hildon_button_new (HILDON_SIZE_FINGER_HEIGHT, ..) (or hildon_gtk_button_new), but if you want to keep using the stock ID, then you should manually call hildon_gtk_widget_set_theme_size() after creating the button.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kanishou For This Useful Post:
Right, those should be disabled in the SDK. I will have a look at this.
That's nice! Thanks

But there is another problem with using a stock button, in that it doesn't adopt the right themeing by default. I would suggest to use hildon_button_new (HILDON_SIZE_FINGER_HEIGHT, ..) (or hildon_gtk_button_new), but if you want to keep using the stock ID, then you should manually call hildon_gtk_widget_set_theme_size() after creating the button.
I just tested that and in my case calling hildon_gtk_widget_set_theme_size(button, HILDON_SIZE_AUTO) or not doesn't make a difference. The result is both times like on the screenshots earlier. I guess it's because the button is scaling itself to the surrounding hbox container.

Still I think it's important to know. I use almost not stock elements anymore, but I'm sure there are many apps out there which do.
Maybe you'd like to add this information here:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Using_Fremantle_Widgets

And maybe we should continue this discussion some where else as it has not much to do with the topic anymore How about here:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=29500

The Following User Says Thank You to conny For This Useful Post:
I tried it now but it doesn't really make sense.
The thing is, the search text entry field always has the focus. But as soon as a HildonEntry widget has the focus the placeholder text is not shown anymore. So in my case the placeholder text is only shown while panning the list, because this is the only situation that the HildonEntry does not have the focus....
Ah yes, that's not so nice then. But you don't even need the label in the first place, as it should be obvious what it is for based on the context and dialog title. Note that the hildon picker dialog with a text entry doesn't have a label there either.

The Following User Says Thank You to kanishou For This Useful Post:
That's nice! Thanks

I just tested that and in my case calling hildon_gtk_widget_set_theme_size(button, HILDON_SIZE_AUTO) or not doesn't make a difference. The result is both times like on the screenshots earlier. I guess it's because the button is scaling itself to the surrounding hbox container.

Still I think it's important to know. I use almost not stock elements anymore, but I'm sure there are many apps out there which do.
Maybe you'd like to add this information here:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Using_Fremantle_Widgets

And maybe we should continue this discussion some where else as it has not much to do with the topic anymore How about here:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=29500
You have to set it to HILDON_SIZE_FINGER_HEIGHT. HILDON_SIZE_AUTO is what it does by default. The point is that the theme engine can choose graphics that are not meant to be scalable in height and thus can look better. It will also ensure consistent sizing of the widgets.

I will have a look at the links you mentioned, thanks.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kanishou For This Useful Post:
I will have a look at the links you mentioned, thanks.
I would be great if you could add a small section about buttons and the different sizes here: http://wiki.maemo.org/Using_Fremantle_Widgets

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to conny For This Useful Post: