sorry for disturbance..
how to swap on sd card..cant find the wiki

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by TMavica View Post
I havent swap on sd card, let me trytry
And you MUST use setting from here.

Anyway, this is going OT

Posts: 136 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Greece
that was my finding also. not a good idea to grab more than half available physical ram for swapz. you don't want to pass each and every call for ram allocation through the swap mechanism. I have such a low disksize for a frew days now and it works, no lags, no crashes, no wonders.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to evan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by evan View Post
that was my finding also. not a good idea to grab more than half available physical ram for swapz. you don't want to pass each and every call for ram allocation through the swap mechanism. I have such a low disksize for a frew days now and it works, no lags, no crashes, no wonders.
Did you try with 96MB?

And would you share your other settings:

where is your swap located at
/proc/sys/vm changes
io scheduler changes (if any)

what else?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 136 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Greece
I tried with 96mb only for a while and while I did not see heavy lags, I noticed nokia maps to take too long to start. Swappiness to 30 and laptop mode to 0 as is default. Nothing else changed. No magic script nor magic carpets. Swap is the default p3 cause I can’t get bothered to repartition my sd card although since you say it’s the best bet for improved performance I will try it when I find the time.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to evan For This Useful Post:
And:

Originally Posted by freemangordon
Notifications are working, but seems there are paths in the kernel swap subsystem allowing direct write over a page without first marking it free.
Seems like memory consumption should not be affected by that.
...seems to be impossible to fix, currently?
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
And:

...seems to be impossible to fix, currently?
Should be posible, but I don't think we will gain anything but additional overhead. You can check upstream zram, they are not using notifications at all, does not seem to have much negative effect. The problem is that SW running on n900 needs lots of RAM and not having it (because it is used by compcache) leads to constant swapping (swap trash).

Anyway there is definitely improvement from using compcahe, just not so much that was probably expected. Use disksize_kb in range 64MB to 96MB and you will see it.

The Following User Says Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Thanks for all your effort - I've not had any "exaggerated" expectations, and it's already great thing that you've bring it to us. I think it's closest of what we can get, to actual higher RAM amount

So, thanks for doing something, that no one else was able/interested to bring us.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 2,021 | Thanked: 1,060 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Hong Kong
Friends, I tried swap on SD:

ramzswap (120504), mmcblk0p3, mmcblk1p2 (796472) with priority 1, 0, 0 and with your setting recommanded, but still sometimes the UI got some laggy.

Moreover, I made a script for bootup, only can swapon ramzswap and mmcblk0p3, mmcblk1p2 cant swapon at bootup
from added a more line here, http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...8&postcount=95

Originally Posted by TMavica View Post
Friends, I tried swap on SD:

ramzswap (120504), mmcblk0p3, mmcblk1p2 (796472) with priority 1, 0, 0 and with your setting recommanded, but still sometimes the UI got some laggy.

Moreover, I made a script for bootup, only can swapon ramzswap and mmcblk0p3, mmcblk1p2 cant swapon at bootup
from added a more line here, http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...8&postcount=95
Use only 64-96 MBs for ramzswap. And do not use mmcblk0p3, only SD card swap partition. And just to make sure put /sbin/ in front of swapon/swapoff commands

EDIT: and change first line of your script to "start on started rcS-late"

Last edited by freemangordon; 2011-09-02 at 06:09.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post: