Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by thecursedfly View Post
Honestly, I don't understand why you replied to me when we have completely different setups.
"I have a red Ford Fiesta and it is absolutely fantastic!"
"Really? I also have one and have a dozen issues with it. Admittedly mine is blue."
"Honestly, I don't understand why you replied to me when we have completely different setups."

Either way, big thank you for your reply. Much appreciated. Between you, sulu and theonelaw, I can sort this out.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I just want to mention that Fedora 28 KDE works fantastically on this device.
You and I have very different ideas of the meaning of the word "fantastically".
Honestly, I don't understand why you replied to me when we have completely different setups.
"I have a red Ford Fiesta and it is absolutely fantastic!"
"Really? I also have one and have a dozen issues with it. Admittedly mine is blue."
"Honestly, I don't understand why you replied to me when we have completely different setups."

That just illustrates that you have had different experiences with a particular product, regardless of its setup. In the case of the GPD Pocket, your setup is directly relevant to your experience with it. It doesn't necessarily mean you both have very different ideas of the meaning of the word "fantastically" or that Fedora 28 KDE does not work fantastically.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
  • booting up and shutting down is fast (I think you are getting the 90 sec delay due to some application not closing properly; I think you can see the underlying message by pressing the Up or Down key while you wait but not sure, I noticed that casually in one occasion)
This is the reason. By default systemd has 90s timeout when it sends SIGHUP to applications in shutdown, if somebody misbehaves and the timeout runs out, it will send SIGKILL to the raemining processes and wait another 90 seconds before forcing shutdown. Provided the stuck process is in D state it will not get the signal and the second timeout will also run thru; 90s+90s equals pretty close to 3 minutes....

In systemd-stable v238 the timeout has been made configurable, see commit e73c54b8

What you could do is enable persistent journal (if not already enabled in your system) and check what's the offending process.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
That just illustrates that you have had different experiences with a particular product, <snip>
Yes, the product being "Fedora 28 on GPD Pocket". Or even "Linux on GPD Pocket".
With "KDE" or "Gnome" making the same difference as the colour in my Fiesta example.

Some people, especially those in the DIY community, often tend to forget that software is also a product. You are used to half-finished product that you need to spend hours setting up, tweaking and configuring to suit your needs. You may even like it that way. I agree it is nice to have that option but you should not have to do that. Things should work straight out of the box. In my case they did not.

You may be pleased to hear that they do now and that I can happily and proudly agree that Linux on GPD Pocket works "fantastically".

It took me more than a day to get to that stage, having tried no fewer than four different images. Every single one of them had some issues, none of them worked right away. You may say that it is part of normal setup, I say it's inexcusable.

In case anyone cares, I have eventually settled on Xubuntu 18.04, having started from a 17.04 image linked from the Nexus511 site. Be warned, 17.04 is no longer supported and repo links are dead. But with some manual tweaks and two OS updates later, I have a perfectly working system. Yaay!

Sorry about the noise and big thanks to all who came to the rescue, especially theonelaw, sulu and thecursedfly.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Did you also try stockmind respin? https://github.com/stockmind/gpd-pocket-ubuntu-respin

Recent prepared ISO's are available (I've downloaded one a few months ago and upgraded fine to 18.04)
https://gpdpocket.cre.ovh/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to t-b For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
It looks like the GPD Pocket 2 in on the way...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T09kJ8EyCU

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on

I actually could see me purchasing this one.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany

Looks like they took a step sideways.

+ µSD
+ 2nd USB A port

o still no exchangable storage (M.2?)
o still no keyboard backlight
o not sure about the new keyboard layout

- no more trackpoint (I'll wait for version 3 then)
- no more dedicated HDMI (not much of a problem, but seeing how much empty space is wasted on the right edge to make it look thin, including an HDMI port and a bunch of other ports would have been a piece of cake)
- fan outlet looks pointless (it's blowing right against the display hinge)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
WTF the Tab key...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
WTF the Tab key...
The Tab key is weird thing indeed. On the current Pocket too.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: