Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I still say they end up abandoning most of what they've done so far and switching to a Mer base.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
"Opening up" is the wrong term. "Being adandoned" is what you're looking for. Don't expect anymore Moblin development.

Originally Posted by qole View Post
I still say they end up abandoning most of what they've done so far and switching to a Mer base.
"a Mer base" makes no sense. What you likely mean is "back to Ubuntu", but that really doesn't make much mor sense since Moblin isn't bringing much of interest to the table at this point.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Why should they abandon it? Moblin 2 is progressing quite nicely according to reports:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...blin_2a2&num=1

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
Why should they abandon it? Moblin 2 is progressing quite nicely according to reports:
Uhm, yeah, a XFCE desktop. That's .. innovative.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
I don't know why Moblin switched from Ubuntu to Fedora. While present in Moblin, its aspects like optimized quick booting and UXA for Intel graphics cards which are more interesting than Moblin itself. Or drivers for their sound cards, wireless cards (WWAN, WLAN).

All this is traditionally not directly interesting for Nokia or Maemo community so there is not much enthusiasm here. Well, unless Mer gets ported to Atom blahtops.

Meanwhile, WiMAX support arrived in Linux 2.6.29 and a while ago, the Intel graphics cards and wireless cards were interesting because there were open source drivers available but Atheros and AMD had the brilliant idea to join the bandwagon... other interesting projects from Intel are LessWatts.org and PowerTOP/LatencyTOP. But they're more necessary for laptops (and desktops/servers) than embedded stuff e.g. Nokia products.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
"Opening up" is the wrong term. "Being adandoned" is what you're looking for. Don't expect anymore Moblin development.
Actually, "opening up" is correct and objective, "abandoned" is your subjective opinion.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
You think that's why Intel bought OpenedHand and poached Alan Cox from RedHat?

Moving moblin to LF seems to me similar to Nokia making Hildon a GNOME project, not an indication of abandonment at all.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Moving moblin to LF seems to me similar to Nokia making Hildon a GNOME project, not an indication of abandonment at all.
Or perhaps Maemo being a project sponsored by Nokia instead of a Nokia project.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Its dead I tell ya...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...in_v2_ui&num=1

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:

Tags
moblin, ubuntu