Active Topics

Posts: 57 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Melbourne, Australia
Not sure how customizable vBulletin is? but what about limiting access to certain sections until 'x' amount of thanks/posts is reached? I've seen other forums where people are limited to certain sections until criteria are met.
ie: 2 'thanks' before you can post in off-topic, 10 before you can create threads in that section....

That way users are 'eased' into the forums.. they can start by posting in troubleshooting sections first, and responding in certain other discussions, then as they contribute more and learn there way around the forum different options are opened up....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lwa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
Originally Posted by lwa View Post
Not sure how customizable vBulletin is? but what about limiting access to certain sections until 'x' amount of thanks/posts is reached? I've seen other forums where people are limited to certain sections until criteria are met.
ie: 2 'thanks' before you can post in off-topic, 10 before you can create threads in that section....

That way users are 'eased' into the forums.. they can start by posting in troubleshooting sections first, and responding in certain other discussions, then as they contribute more and learn there way around the forum different options are opened up....
That sounds like a useful elaboration of my somewhat crude idea. I would vote for such a solution.

Posts: 57 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Melbourne, Australia
I have no idea what I'm doing with brainstorms... quite content just tackling t.m.o for now, so if you want to use all or any part of my idea in the brainstorm feel free

The Following User Says Thank You to lwa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
I think there should be a spam button on where you rate the thread and with enough votes the thread gets automatically closed and reported to a moderator...

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by bandora View Post
I think there should be a spam button on where you rate the thread and with enough votes the thread gets automatically closed and reported to a moderator...
Just use the notification system. A moderator will be along as soon as one if free, and the thread will be closed.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bandora View Post
There are such solutions proposed in the Brainstorm -- you can vote to support them. My proposal (#17) does not contradict them, so you could vote for it as well.

Last edited by Sopwith; 2010-04-09 at 12:35. Reason: added solution reference

I have been lurking in TMO for 3 months+ now and have been able to find the answers to every question i could possibly have by using the search options, i think if new users were limited in how and where they could post there would be much less hoax threads as they would be able to get a feel for what is and is not acceptable, also i believe short bans would show people that there are consequences to starting hoax threads, im ashamed to say that the first post i made was to insult the author of one of these hoax threads,
Imo until there are bans/punnishments for starting these threads we will continue to see them.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to matts76 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,169 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ sunderland
ive been using these types of forums for 15 years, april fools jokes have always been happening as far as i can remember, although there a bit annoying i cant really see the harm myself, as long as there deleted and it dont get too out of control!

Originally Posted by leetut View Post
ive been using these types of forums for 15 years, april fools jokes have always been happening as far as i can remember, although there a bit annoying i cant really see the harm myself, as long as there deleted and it dont get too out of control!
It's not about April Fool's... to my understanding, that was a week ago and even YESTERDAY I spotted (and reported) 2 threads regarding "PR 1.2 released NOW, check!". It's just childish, irresponsable and annoying and such behaviour should not be tolerated.

I understand the April's Fools thing, and indeed, I've seen it in other forums online, but that has nothing to do with the issue we are talking about .

I'll read the braimstorm post and I'll give it a thought... but maybe there should be restrictions only for the creations of new threads (5 to 8 thanks, or something like that) and no for posting in general.

cheers.

The Following User Says Thank You to r0be11 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by r0be11 View Post
... but maybe there should be restrictions only for the creations of new threads (5 to 8 thanks, or something like that) and no for posting in general.

cheers.
That is exactly what I proposed (sol. #17). Of course you need to be able to post somewhere in order to receive any "thanks" at all.