Originally Posted by PEB View Post
Brings me to the point: Any good introduction for a nOOb to flash the n900 back to factory state? I've aquired a couple of them and they have some obscure settings that I can't get rid off.
To get right back to factory settings you could reflash the device...

Want to improve the location bar's search capabilities? there's a wiki page for that too...

The Following User Says Thank You to TomJ For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 680 | Thanked: 1,227 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mbabane
For the op who's asking why N900 is still fit as a main device ... I bought my N900 in 2011 and had no other phone. A few weeks ago I bought a second N900

Now, I have to use whatsapp (which I do not really like) but on the day i got 2nd N900, Yappari stopped working for everyone. As you can imagine, I started to wonder if the $17.00 shouldn't have go to maybe a cheapie droid. Well, that question was answered in less than 24 hours.

So today I do all my browsing on either N900 and really cannot ask for more.

And yes, the point about not knowing if there's something better out there is a valid one. Note however that at my job, my work includes assisting our 200 users to access work stuff on their phones (EAS mostly, but a few other specialized in-house apps). So I definitely know what else is out there, and have got the chance to test and compare.

Verdict: I am on the lookout for a 3rd N900

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to sicelo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 64 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Cambridge/London
Originally Posted by PEB View Post
Brings me to the point: Any good introduction for a nOOb to flash the n900 back to factory state?

peb
Speaking as a recidivist n00b. This would be useful. It would save me some time. It's been a while since I have.

Maybe bringing it all together in a wiki crib sheet linked to a 'spare and repair' wanted/donor list.

First linking to the archive of the images and flasher, so not inadvertently clicking on the malware infected installer.

The option of flashing from linux instead of win 64bit. Cold flashing a corrupted boot, and flashing from the SD card if you can install a bootloader, but lack a usb port.

(A bespoke live linux boot image to a flasher would be nice. Something like http://build.porteus.org/ maybe, being designed for USB use. I like how you set the config before you build the image.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tonypercy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 24 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Spain
Originally Posted by sicelo View Post
..., Yappari stopped working for everyone. As you can imagine, I started to wonder if th...
Sicelo Yappari still working. Great
I use only N900 since 2010. It is a little bit lazy but I don't like the other OS.
Thank to every one of this site.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TARIKO For This Useful Post:
Posts: 288 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia
I've switched to Jolla...

The Following User Says Thank You to ajack For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
i still have it but i mostly now use my Z10. but still love it.

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
just got one more

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 94 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK LONDON
me awhile ago....but got screen issues so I got n9 in the meantime.
Will get one more soon but as personal phone.
next: neo900

Android/iOS developer
ready for maemo coding competition 2016!

The Following User Says Thank You to andil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 290 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ .pl
got one in 2009 i think. still using on original battery that lasts ~6-7 days. until i get another linux based phone all i can say: n900 ftw! (shameless plug: see my oscp player in multimedia subforum)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KotCzarny For This Useful Post:
Just thought I would post this.
NO phone is alike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89yqt4xSKzA

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:

Tags
n900 ftw, pfeifen_im_wald, possibilities, rock on n900