Everyone knows capacitive glass is all shiny and pretty and if you want to be cool you should for sure have one! Well maybe not, but as I understand it, the only unique use for a resistive screen (besides accuracy and glove use) would be drawing on it as a graphic tablet. It may seem weird but you can do awesome art on the bloody thing. That to me was the selling point.

So is the n900 the last resistive screen we will see before Nokia jumps on the cool capacitive train as everyone else?

If so the world would be a less bright place. (but perhaps with cooler screens)

i think so, but i also think its unfortunate. Especially since there are demo out there that show resistive screens using over 5 unique multi-touch characteristics

Posts: 1,187 | Thanked: 816 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Australia
Resistive with multi touch?
Really? Is it true multi touch or tricks it into thinking it is?
Resistive can not die out. Not everyone want's to use capacitive. We can't all use bare skin to touch. I love the stylus!

I think capacitive will take over the high end market, but for devices like the N900 which have full keyboards, they will stay with resistive.

I don't think Nokia is making any. That was one of the reasons given for the lack of official MeeGo support on the n900

Originally Posted by kingoddball View Post
Resistive with multi touch?
Really? Is it true multi touch or tricks it into thinking it is?
http://www.stantum.com/en/offer/technology-ip

The Following User Says Thank You to mohannad For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
As long as resistive-specific market (handwriting, drawing) is smaller than the general market (whom benefits from flexible keyboard and ui)... then we'll just have to wait for multitouch-capable resistive.

Capacitive screen has been a wet dream for logistic planning (no need localized hw keyboards) and ui designer... and the marketing guys too...
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on May 2010 @ TMO
China will continue to pump out resistive screened fakes en masse, don't worry.

Mostly because input of chinese characters (I am considered very proficient in that language) is an absolute dismal failure using capacitive instead of resistive.

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 74 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by kingoddball View Post
Not everyone want's to use capacitive. We can't all use bare skin to touch. I love the stylus!
Could they not make the tip of the stylus capacitive using metal or whatever so that it would still work?

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
It is really sad to see that companies (nokia included) do not even try to promote capacitive screens' pros. Taking into consideration there are many advantages, and that many if not most people do not tell the technologies apart even when they touch them, it would be a selling point for some devices. Eg I wouldn't change the pressure sensitivity of the N900 for all the capacitiveness of the world, and that was not even on the spec sheet while it should be in the big print of every ad. Especially in a device that is marketed as an advanced pc-like geek one.
________
CuteHotEva cam

Last edited by qwazix; 2011-08-21 at 10:38.

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
I sure do not hope so. In my mind the resistive is a far better choise than the capacitive.

The Following User Says Thank You to AlMehdi For This Useful Post: