Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by ed00 View Post
Does it fit in your pocket,....¿....
I could fit the 8.9" Vaio p in my front (suit) trouser pocket and the tab is smaller in dimensions thickness wise and height wise. Its definitely light enough as well. An very tiny bit might possibly jut out, I doubt it, with the vaio P it was one whole corner but it was 245mm vs 190mm.

I am 6.2ft though. So I guess it depends on how much you want to change your wardrobe for your gadgets I definitely wont be carrying it out routinely, just a home tablet, but its nice to know I could take it out.

Last edited by imperiallight; 2010-09-03 at 06:39.

Wow I saw the IFA info and was like this was a certain buy. The device looks so sweet. But then I woke up to these ridiculous prices being thrown around and now it is a certain not buy. Have Samsung gone crazy?

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
How about a little benchmark love? Quadrant up next:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5i0e...eature=channel

It is outperformed by the Droid X and Tegra 2! Of course resolution could be a factor and likely is on this graphics intensive test. Still, the results are impressive!
Depends. The rendering can be done at a fixed resolution, independent of the actual screen resolution and then pixel doubled or something to fit the physical screen. I habitually run games at a lower resolution then the screen i have to save on render needs for instance.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
Blathering ? You call people's opinion blathering ? Thats nice coming from you - who never owned a N900 and kept critiquing a device which you don't even own. I don't recall anyone calling your criticism as blathering. Just because you are a recent Android convert doesnt mean you have to get all fanboyish on me the moment I give my opinions on the uselessness of a phone on a 7" tablet.

And yes I have used a BT headset and have that much sense that you can initiate and end a call (you didnt have to read it literally as if I meant only for initiation and ending calls) but for many functions you have to take out the tablet - like to mute or switch a call or conference other people. Anyways its not the technicalities that matter, its the convenience (or rather the inconvenience of a 7" phone) that matters to ME.
For the record, I'm not so much an Android convert so much as a convert away from Nokia. I've recently had to call Motorola on the battery cover for my Android going missing (they slide off and I dislike the way it's designed, although there's a hack out there to make it reliably stay on). I called to complain and they decided to ship me a new battery cover--free, with free shipping. This is in addition to Verizon's excellent replacement policies when I had to return my last Droid, had a lost/stolen one before that, and a case where Amazon replaced a defective pair of these Motorola Bluetooth headphones immediately without even asking my to ship back my old pair until I got the new pair so that I was never without them.

Nokia, by contrast, never wanted to even SELL me replacement parts much less send me a replacement part (not even a stylus), nor did they even want to do anything for me when their flimsy bluetooth headphones broke (except unless you call a discount on their MSRP of $100 at the time being $75 versus the $45 I had paid for them originally some kind of service). Feh. It's funny calling me a convert, given all that, as if it's a bad thing.

Anyway... getting back on track:
Had you opinionated something, you would have a point. I was calling your inaccuracies the blatherings. You claimed that you wouldn't be able to call or hang up with a bluetooth headset. The fact that you find it inconvenient might be speaking more to the Bluetooth headset than to the device. Also, depending on your headset (like the one I have) you can also switch conference calls and mute using dedicated phone buttons. But then, I use a pretty swanky pair of Motorola Bluetooth stereo headphones (after owning a bunch, including a pair of flimsy Nokia bluetooth headphones). I'd never have to take it out. I take it that you've never owned an Android either, from your tone. It's okay, I assume you just went blood-rage and decided to lash out instead of reading WHY I called them blatherings. I'm not sorry I pointed that out to you, but if you were insulted by that then I regret that you took offense and I also forgive you for your rage.

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 134 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ New Jersey
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
Whoa.

This just in: Tip of iceberg has been spotted. Stop. Immediately put hold on all gadget funds. Stop. Further instructions will follow. Stop.
All stop, aye, sir. Engine room reports all stop.

Awaiting further instructions...
MP3: Insignia NS-DV4G or IT/Canola

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Ok, guys, lets stop the fighting. You're both classy blokes!

I just noticed on the official product accessories page that the dock will not be included in the packaging for the tab. What will be included is a much more standard headphones and USB data cable.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Haha.. They pulled all of the mangled english on the official Tab site.

http://galaxytab.samsungmobile.com/

In any case, it looks as if the leather cover accessory is not a ripoff of the apple version, but a simple cover that can be arranged as a tent to act as a stand for the device.

I hope it has place for a stylus, though something tells me it's going to cost a hundred dollars, which is ninety-five dollars more than I'm willing to pay for such a contraption.

The Tab does look attractive after seeing all those videos (Captain - you are a storehouse of Tab info it seems) - I guess the final decision will boil down to the price point and availability itself.

If I can use this as a productivity tool in place of my ultraportable - mainly light stuff but important stuff - then I am all for this. Have been waiting for a tablet device for quite some time.

But tell me - apart from the accesories and the Samsung apps - and of course the hardware specs - how much different will this be from the Archos 70 tablet in terms of usage and default Android apps ?

Since I have these tow options at hand - wanted to compare these in terms of what I could get from each.

Edit : I would like to point that I haven't used an Android device - hence my questions are from a newbie perspective.

The Following User Says Thank You to nilchak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
seems the stylus seen in the accessories list is a "conventional" capacitive stylus, while the "bluetooth" one is a combine capacitive stylus and bluetooth handsfree.

http://www.slashgear.com/samsung-gal...ideo-03100528/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tso View Post
seems the stylus seen in the accessories list is a "conventional" capacitive stylus, while the "bluetooth" one is a combine capacitive stylus and bluetooth handsfree.

http://www.slashgear.com/samsung-gal...ideo-03100528/
What's strange is this was considered a related story:

I'm so out of it.

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy