Hey auouymous, I assume you're still looking to fix/replace the default OSK?

I found this which may help. I also found reference to a perl script to convert .vkb files to .xml and back to make editing easier. I will post that as soon as I have access to my desktop again.

Hope this helps.

See also package him-arabic (and don't be misled by the name, mer was using it just fine for latin etc input). A bit on the slow side but might be a useful example.

We were looking for info to embed OSK in an xlib app without using GTK. The link is still helpful if we write our own OSK because we can use a similar XML structure.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
a different osk may be interesting, as the current on do not deal with rotation that well (especially the full screen one).

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
I found this site which is super easy to use if anyone wants to check it out.

http://cooltext.com/Ghost-Button

Last edited by Addison; 2011-10-03 at 21:58. Reason: Bad link

The Following User Says Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post:
Posts: 139 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ mid gulf coast florida
wonder if it is possible to use the handwriting recognition in maemo to generate images to be used on an osk. seems like a user personalized keyboard could be interesting.

Here is the thread which discusses how to convert the .vkb files. I'm going to test it out myself later this week. It seems this was tested in the Chinook days, so how well it works for Diablo remains to be seen.

I just figure it might be easier to theme the existing keyboard rather than replace it, especially considering how often it has been tried in the past.

Now if only this script could be used to extract the theme of Opera's keyboard.

Originally Posted by Johnnie Price View Post

I just figure it might be easier to theme the existing keyboard rather than replace it, especially considering how often it has been tried in the past.
The OSK keyboard module is proprietary. Maybe the button images can be replaced if loaded externally, but the module itself draws the text on. Maybe some clever programmer can create their own similar module (him-Arabic comes to mind) but there's no point when the framework for the existing keyboard only works with GTK+ applications (according to Mitrandir), especially with Mitrandir's work on a light toolkit for SIMP.

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Originally Posted by Johnnie Price View Post
Here is the thread which discusses how to convert the .vkb files. I'm going to test it out myself later this week. It seems this was tested in the Chinook days, so how well it works for Diablo remains to be seen.

Now if only this script could be used to extract the theme of Opera's keyboard.
I've messed with this before and I can say that it is very limited.

So yeah, I just gave up on it since some of the features I wanted to do with a new keyboard is still closed source and there is nothing that can be done about it.