Posts: 113 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ london
i know who im going to vote for but... my vote token was sent to my old email address... is there a way can still vote for someone?

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
How often were YOU hired based solely on sending in an application without photo, without gender, age, nationality, and without any initial meeting or at least a phonecall with the boss?
Three times. Once for contract work in Seattle (where I've never lived), once for a firm in NYC that hired me for knowledge and expertise in a very niche area, and once at Kodak on contract for a similar reason. Just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

While I was interviewed where I work now, it was a phone interview, and one of the people interviewing was someone I'd gone to college with a decade before. But frankly, there are plenty of times where skill trumps looks. When we are hiring here, there are often dozens of applicants for a position; but only a handful are called in for interviews. None of the CV we see for the initial filtering process have a photo attached, and only once were we surprised by someones appearance. (Mason was quite amused that we'd made assumptions about her based on her name. )

I get that having an image is nice, and some people associate faces a lot more readily than names. (I have just such a visual memory.) But there's also potential for discrimination and prejudice when it comes to imagery. I don't think it's a required thing. That said, my profile has my picture prominently showing, so...

Edit: Speaking of... Setting the avatar is not as simple as it should be.

Last edited by woody14619; 2012-05-18 at 01:33.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
Maybe she's a brilliant hacker, but I wouldn't send her negotiating a deal for our next 5000 machines with IBM)
Why not? It would be - at least - different from 13856539 other people wanting deal with them.

In case of election, I'll gladly post a photo of mine, but, honestly, arguments about photo being part of "soft skills" is hardly justified, IMO, nor I see it as a proper requirement for candidates/Councilors. It just doesn't fit in how I view idea of meritocracy and tolerance.

BTW, while I agree that we're choosing representatives here, in pure meaning of this word (not "government"), I think that council role will start to shift from now on - of course, with respect to statute and referendum need for bigger changes. Seriously, how many real-live meetings with Nokia/Maemo related conferences do You expect in next 6 months? MY expectation are ~0.

Of course, facilitating communication inside Community is and will be one of main, most important task of Council. But, in current situation, Council also need to be a catalyst for moving projects further/consolidate them/help finding resources for good ideas/projects already in move/etc.

I'm absolutely sure, that upcoming Councils and all after them, will need to be something between our "old" view on council and a Steering Group. Please, remember that I've said "something between", not the latter or the former only.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
I have to agree with joerg_rw, while it might not play a role in your voting decision having a face behind a nick is important (maemo meetings/conventions have already been mentioned, but consider trolls, we seem to have a problem with those recently... not insinuating any candidate is a troll, but I would like more personal info on candidates, some forums made trolling into an art so even pic is dubious)
It is NOT a beauty contest (just check the council pics posted so far), it is about representing. If you anon-represent community a company/corporation like Nokia will troll you even harder. It should take some personal (in RL vs anon-posts by any email address) investment to be taken seriously. Being in an official body should have some sacrifices
I personally Think that posting your picture is up to each individual. Do agree with Joerg though that this should be done.

BTW in US you can not require applicants to add picture. Such legal requirements should also be respected

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Same for our company (.DE/.US/APAC). We'd many Skype/phone interviews only recently. Given that we are a niche business (Biometric Algorithm / Software development) so very specialized people are needed, and that i'm used to quite not ordinary colleagues (one a-bit-hippie-type-of-guy used to come to the office without shoes 3/4 of each year, it was ok with all of us) it's good that way. Also, i'm not sure that they had more than just my CV without photo before i even had my interview invitation; my previous experience counted.

Additionally, i highly assume the Council will never do TV or similar interviews.

The Following User Says Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
I personally Think that posting your picture is up to each individual. Do agree with Joerg though that this should be done.

BTW in US you can not require applicants to add picture. Such legal requirements should also be respected
Sorry, but no. Viewers in US should get those blocked if that is needed, don't cut us off your pictures, we can legally see them. Or is it a local law on requirements and you are allowed to view voluntary photo inclusions???

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Sorry, but no. Viewers in US should get those blocked if that is needed, don't cut us off your pictures, we can legally see them. Or is it a local law on requirements and you are allowed to view voluntary photo inclusions???
re US, that employer law has already been 'broken' by asking for pictures. It is not illegal for applicants to provide a picture, it is illegal for US employer to ask for it (also other info, like age, mirital status etc). Anyway, kinda off-topic I guess

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
for crying out loud...
i'm not aware of member of the Council having to interact otherwise then by IRC with each other, the community or folks from NOKIA
being 1000s of miles apart...
who cares about picture

The Following User Says Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
for crying out loud...
i'm not aware of member of the Council having to interact otherwise then by IRC with each other, the community or folks from NOKIA
being 1000s of miles apart...
who cares about picture
I do. Council is an official body, being as anonymous as any poster on TMO is a luxury we can afford keeping to ourselves, if you are to represent community and be treated differently, there should be sacrifices. Having 'Community Council' in your signature is A thing

I do. Council is an official body, being as anonymous as any poster on TMO is a luxury we can afford keeping to ourselves, if you are to represent community and be treated differently, there should be sacrifices. Having 'Community Council' in your signature is A thing
then maybe you should take to heart the advice given to newbies earlier on this thread?
i.e.: enabling the information age is not (only) about making the information available, it is mostly about ppl (the users) acquiring and processing the information...
check the (past) posts of the candidates?
Google (!)?
forums?

and please, don't ask the Council... aaaa me, of course, for an example

Tags
council, election, incommunicado, winding down