Engadget:

"-- it's just too bad the N810 keyboard disappoints us so. Sure, the keys are large, backlit, and far more tactile than on the E90, but the top row is jammed right up against the bottom of the screen, making typing really difficult without keeping your thumbs totally perpendicular to the keyboard. The N810 could really benefit from the room of a few millimeters more slide if you ask us.."

Any comments on this from those who have it/have used it? Texrat?

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by Hedgecore View Post
YoDude: My interest was never really in the included mapping software... I know people with boats and they've shelled out hundreds for topographical map sets, waterway map sets, etc... my question is, will MaemoMapper work with this...
It will once gnuite moves it to Chinook. Until then, it won't work. Same thing goes for an N800 upgraded to IT 2008.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by Hedgecore View Post
YoDude: My interest was never really in the included mapping software... I know people with boats and they've shelled out hundreds for topographical map sets, waterway map sets, etc... my question is, will MaemoMapper work with this...
Nah, my comment wasn't toward you, You hadn't posted yet.

From what I'm hearing, Bora apps will have to be recompiled for the new OS. So what you have now pro'lly wont work. The fact that the SDK is out and developers already have a compatible device in hand hopefully means that the time between versions should be short. Not like the transition from the 770's OS to the N800's.

I would think that most indy developers will have compatible versions ready to go by the time the new OS ships (mid Novemberish) In fact Textrat had a Chinook Poll thread going on here somewhere that may give you a better idea on individual time frames.

Now the BIG question:
How long do we think it will be before Nokia provides a protective cover or case for this thing? Lol.

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
I don't understand how you are browsing then.. do you scroll with the (shudder) stylus? Or scrollbars? To me that is awfully painful. Me, I have reconfigured the d-pad so I can page up/down (one page at the time) with it (the way the Palm d-pad works, which is how it should have been in the first place). I simply can't imagine browsing in any other way.
I browse with my fingers. Sometimes by tapping the scrollbar, sometimes by panning. The stylus is there, but I try my best not to touch it... Anyway, you'd better start imagining another way to browse, fortunately or unfortunately.

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
Wow.

I seriously thought Nokia had topped the Asinine Design Stupidities curve with the transition from 770 to N800, but I was wrong.

This thing has obviously been disigned by one of the managers' toddlers. Sentences like: "Give me an iPhone!" are bubbling up in my head, and that ain't not good.

I even left out the (<spit!>), and that's saying something...

wtf duud .... If you don't like the design .. then don't buy it. The only remarkable difference is the keyboard and the GPS. Let's say you get the N810 for 460 euros and you get the N800 for 269 euros. I'd say go for the N800 get a separate GPS for the saved cash. Also if you allready own the N800, don't sell it. Use the money for separate GPS unit.

Also BT foldable keyboards are sold cheap these days. I fear for nokia slider design. Correct me if I am wrong, bu I have never seen a nokia with solid slider. Allways something weird.

Besides that. The upcoming Chinook update gives us same features for N800 so why bother with the update.

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
Flash is improved such as youtube is actually watchable now. (I need to check Google videos...)
Yeah, the step up in Youtube in this release is quite substantial. To my eyes it looks something like 12-15fps range. It's kind of hard to tell, since Youtube videos even on a PC sometimes are somewhat choppy. However, it is definitely watchable.

Let's try Google Video... Yes, works. It's the same, or perhaps even slightly better than Youtube. "Which is nice", as Patrick Nice would say.

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
A poor and uninspired effort to be honest, every iteration is a step down from the 770.
Any money the e-mail client's still the same piece of s***e they shipped with the original 770?

Lets confirm/Deny/Rebutt Some things

The processor is the same speed.
The n800 was underclocked to save bettery life . Now that they have improved os support, they can bump the clock speed back up to the original 400mhz without affecting battery life. That means your n800 should be running at 400mhz when you update to 2008.

Not Either OR
You dont have to buy an n810. And it looks like the n800 has already dropped to 250 and will probably drop to an even $200. If it supports all the same software but is cheaper and doesn't have a keyboard, what is the complaint!!!
This is not the same as the transition from 770 to 810. They will both support the same software.Moreover I think Nokia learned there lesson with this model, they want the software to be ported quickly, and that can only happen if there are developers with devices.

Way better case
so far all the reviews have stated the case is much better than the N800 case.

Keyboard is a big improvement
The n810 is actually thinner than the n800 even with the new keyboard.
The directional button had to be placed with the keyboard so that you can use it and the keyboard without straining your wrist. The only other option for nokia would be to have two buttons, one on the keyboard and one on the display.

As far as I am concerned this is a great device. And I am sure to go out and get an n800 now that they reasonably priced.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Viipottaja View Post
Engadget:

"-- it's just too bad the N810 keyboard disappoints us so. Sure, the keys are large, backlit, and far more tactile than on the E90, but the top row is jammed right up against the bottom of the screen, making typing really difficult without keeping your thumbs totally perpendicular to the keyboard. The N810 could really benefit from the room of a few millimeters more slide if you ask us.."

Any comments on this from those who have it/have used it? Texrat?
I didn't get to use the keyboard really, unfortunately. I think this complaint may depend on finger size, but there should certainly be reasonable clearance...

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by sptop View Post
The n800 was underclocked to save bettery life . Now that they have improved os support, they can bump the clock speed back up to the original 400mhz without affecting battery life. That means your n800 should be running at 400mhz when you update to 2008.
I had thought that my test N800 seemed peppier with the new OS...