Notices

there is nothing wrong with the english in mappero but the instuctions are short just "turn left" not how far or anything like that

I presume mapper is the older version of mappero, this does have a voice synersier but I can't get it to recgonise the internal gps in my n900 am I correct that this is the old version of the app if so can someone tell me how to get it working with the internal gps in the n900 so I can see what the voice commands are like.

So today I finally tested mappero for a route I know. Little did I know that left and right were mixed up for the German version. I had to change it on some parking space. No harm done for now.

Originally Posted by cwarner2010 View Post
there is nothing wrong with the english in mappero but the instuctions are short just "turn left" not how far or anything like that
Very much agreed. It's confusing to hear "turn left" when you're 10m away from a crossroads (or, in my case, are currently slowing down because the the lights turned red) and you're supposed to take the one 100m ahead, not the one right in front of you.

Something like "turn left in 300/200/100 meters" in the city should be enough to change into the correct lane if need be. On highways, of course, you should announce it something like 1 or 2 kilometers ahead.

Other than that, it's really nice to have a free alternative to Ovi that actually has voice navigation to begin with

The Following User Says Thank You to eezo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 100 | Thanked: 408 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Nikem View Post
OK, no proper bug-report but still:
I tried today the german voice-navigation with mappero - it works great, but left and right were interchanged
Can I change it by myself or do I have to wait for the next version?
Next version (3.0+beta10) fixes the problem, will be out in a few hours.

Posts: 100 | Thanked: 408 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Steffe69 View Post
Here is the new file in Finnish as promised. This time I used 7-zip to compress the file.
Got them, next version will be using them. Thanks!

Ok, I'm and so is many that are not advanced technically, but still love our N900!
Could we get a step by step direction on how to get the turn by turn voice to work.

Also, do I need/how to download maps to the app?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by mardy View Post

Hi,

I have just got some updates, to Mappero 3.0+beta12 (pr1.2), but when I open the application, I get just a blank screen, with no maps, before the update it was OK.

When I look at settings / maps, the map depsitory shows "google", whereas before it was "openstreet", but even if I change this, it still remains a blank screen!

Also if I go to "manage maps" and click ok, I get the message "confirm download of 12 maps" but nothing happens.

Hopefully someone can help in simple language.

Best regards, Colin

Help!

Suddenly I find that Mappero does not see the GPS satellites any more. Last week it still worked fine. There seems nothing wrong with the N900 or its setup, because GPS still works in Ovimaps!

Anybody an idea what happened, or where I can find pertinent documentation?
Paai

So, to help Mappero support your own language, follow these steps:[LIST=1][*]Open the terminal, type "echo $LC_MESSAGES" and keep record of the output (it is a language/country code, for example for Italian it's it_IT)[*]Record yourself while reading the following short sentences (you can install the sound recorder on the N900 too) translated into your language, with one second of silence between them:
  • turn right
  • turn left
  • turn slightly to the right
  • turn slightly to the left
  • take the first exit
  • take the second exit
  • take the third exit
  • continue straight
That's *way* less helpful than when it used to use flite, which I made a script that used espeak instead.

With espeak/flite, it would actually say "turn right at exit 103 to Sand Hill Road", or similar. Having it just say "turn right" is almost totally useless.

Why bother? Why not just feed the whole instructions to espeak like it used to do? ;'( This is very bad I don't like it at all.

-Robin

The Following User Says Thank You to rlpowell For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by colinbaillie View Post
Hi,

I have just got some updates, to Mappero 3.0+beta12 (pr1.2), but when I open the application, I get just a blank screen, with no maps, before the update it was OK.
I have the very same problem. All I get when I start mappero is a blank screen with control buttons on it.
But:
1. it does not show any map tiles
2. does not show the traces (either the track or the routing trace)
3. does not show the blue filled circle where I am.

I tried to update and going back to previous version, I installed and uninstalled several times. But it does not change.

I even removed ~/.maemo-mapper but no effect.

Im stuck because mappero does not show any info, if I start from the terminal it has no output. So I dont know how could I debug a little further.

Im going to London for a week for slightseeing, and would be cool, if mappero works.

I downloaded "modrana", and it does find itself, and shows the map, but it is way more limited then mappero (especially it does not show any traces, where Im going...)

Any idea is most welcomed, also if there is a bugzilla for mappero, I would really like to know its url.

Best regards,
Laszlo

Tags
mappero, navigation