Posts: 263 | Thanked: 679 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Lyon, France
This thread is part of the Maemo Brainstorm 2010

What can we improve between now and six months from now in the application downloads interface for Maemo to ensure that it stays relevant in the MeeGo world?

Propose your ideas and suggestions here, let's talk about it, and summarise the best ideas and conclusions in the Brainstorm 2010/Downloads wiki page

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dneary For This Useful Post:
Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by dneary View Post
What can we improve between now and six months from now in the application downloads interface for Maemo to ensure that it stays relevant in the MeeGo world?
One thing we're working on is porting the Downloads pages come straight from the Packages service. If Packages gets hooked up to OBS then Downloads could also be a source for MeeGo applications...

Originally Posted by bergie View Post
One thing we're working on is porting the Downloads pages come straight from the Packages service.
Could you elaborate what does this mean in practice?

I would like to see more statistics: per day, week, month and per category.

I would also like to see Jaffa's idea of donations interface http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail/mae...ry/023980.html

Generally it would be good that have some idea how Downloads and maemo.org relates to Maemo/MeeGo Harmattan (or what ever it is called). After all Harmattan is using Debian tools and the whole maemo.org is geared for that.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mikkov For This Useful Post:
Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by mikkov View Post
Could you elaborate what does this mean in practice?
* Better performance than current Downloads UIs
* Newer OCS API for app downloads and analysis
* Ability to post screenshots to app page already during Testing cycle
* More freedom for adding new views and features to Downloads (old Downloads system was using a stock Midgard product listing component)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bergie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
As mikkov says, I want one of the high-level goals to be a donation framework similar to addons.mozilla.org has, and I outlined in the URL above.

This feature, if added to Downloads would also be something we could offer the MeeGo community to reuse. This'd be an example of investment in maemo.org which wouldn't be wasted if we can all decamp to meego.com and be happy MeeGo users in 12 months.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 204 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Norway
I'm hoping for something like Cydia on iPhone, its also based on the debian system. I dont like the fact that the application page is drawn in HTML though cos you see commercials all the time. Also I would like it to start the download and install in backround like Ubuntu Software Center (also based on the same technology as Cydia and Hildon Application Manager).

Screenshot from Cydia:

The ability to sort applications by 'Date Added' to allow viewing of the newest apps to the repository.

The Following User Says Thank You to [DarkGUNMAN] For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by bergie View Post
One thing we're working on is porting the Downloads pages come straight from the Packages service. If Packages gets hooked up to OBS then Downloads could also be a source for MeeGo applications...
(Just compiling stuff complained about on IRC)
- What does this mean for third party repositories?

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by Siggen View Post
I'm hoping for something like Cydia on iPhone, its also based on the debian system.
How is their payment system implemented? danielwilms has been working on appdownloader, a Qt-based application using the APIs bergie references.

Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
I'm guessing this might be a bit more relevant for the brainstorm process then these brainstorming sessions but this had a lower barrier to entry

One thing for us to think about is what problems have Maemo 4.1 users had when Maemo 5 came out.

Some I can think of include
  • Differentiating discussion, announcements, and bugs between platforms.
  • Finding what apps are not abandoned (for longer term viability)
  • Finding what are the new gems (Telescope, Maemo 5 theme, my applications )
  • Finding if the apps I use are available on new/old platforms for both transitioning and judging developer support.

So some things we currently do:
  • A download site per OS with links to software for other OS versions
  • Top rated and new applications lists
  • Break apps up by category

And now my idea. It would be helpful for both discoverability of apps and discerning there relevance if we had a way to compare them. I would suggest at minimum we support statistics that are common to all apps that we can pull automatically plus links to feedback.

Stats I can think of
  • Rating / Downloads
  • Frequency of Update Metric (for if its still maintained)
  • Platforms supported (beyond the "can I run it" seems like it can give a feel for staying power)
If we want to get fancier we could allow people to link common apps and produce side-by-side feature lists.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to epage For This Useful Post:

Tags
brainstorm, community, donations, download, downloads, maemo, maemo.org, meego, rating, recommendation