Active Topics

Originally Posted by shtevie View Post
Well I removed Norton Security from my computer and I get a successful HotSync message now. Unfortunately, my contacts and date book info are not showing up on the Nokia. Any suggestions?
Basically it seems the PIM data doesn't transfer on HOTSYNCs. I exported all of my contacts and calendar data and imported them into Nokia ITT apps. Syncing them is problematic but I've learned to live without relying on syncing too too much, GPE-Calendar will sync with a Google calendar so the former has become my ITT appointment app and the latter my Palm Desktop calendar replacement.

I haven't dug deeply enough to resolve the contacts syncing.

HTH,
Frank

Originally Posted by FGol View Post
Basically it seems the PIM data doesn't transfer on HOTSYNCs. I
I haven't dug deeply enough to resolve the contacts syncing.

HTH,
Frank
Could we just add a couple of words to your first line there? That it doesn't work for you. The thing is that if you read through the threads in this forum I think you can see that several people have this sync thing working. I do. I understand that there is plenty of room for improvement with this GVM thing. I am starting to wonder what percentage of people it's syncing for. I imagine part of it's problem is that there are hardly any settings possible within the GVM, so if it doesn't work for you there isn't much chance to continue working with it. I'm not knowledgable about networks, but they appear to be one of those tech things that can be disabled by one of so many things. I suppose I was just lucky that my Nokia, my laptop and my router seem to get along so well. Maybe we can do a poll or start a thread on what kind of success people are having with syncing. That would be fine with me. I think the current appearance of the matter is that it is mostly a failure. Am I wrong?

Neil

To Sungrove,

The weird thing is, I get a message saying the sync was successful., but the data's not there.

To FGol,

Could you describe exactly how you were able to export/import your records. When I tried, the tablet wouldn't recognize the file formats. (.aba, .dba)

Thanks.

To Sungrove,

The weird thing is, I get a message saying the sync was successful., but the data's not there.

Thanks.
Ya, I can imagine that is pretty frustrating. If I were getting that message from it I think I would believe it and look more at software versions you are using. I say this because I wasn't getting any Datebk info to cross when I was using the Datebk tha comes with GVM. I had to go download Datebk5 . Once I did that it worked for me. Datebk5 is free for 45 days, so there isn't much risk in trying it to see if it works for you. In an earlier thread here I list all the software versions I have. I would lean more in this direction rather than thinking that it is not syncing. Also, have you checked the settings in Palm Desktop? Who knows, maybe it's disabled there. I doubt it, but worth looking.

Neil

Originally Posted by sungrove View Post
Could we just add a couple of words to your first line there? That it doesn't work for you. The thing is that if you read through the threads in this forum I think you can see that several people have this sync thing working. I do. I understand that there is plenty of room for improvement with this GVM thing. I am starting to wonder what percentage of people it's syncing for..... Maybe we can do a poll or start a thread on what kind of success people are having with syncing. That would be fine with me. I think the current appearance of the matter is that it is mostly a failure. Am I wrong?

Neil
Neil,

I think the GVM is an interesting capability that in some ways eases migration. There were three or four applications I really needed the GVM for and mostly it is a struggle so I worked to figure out native replacements on the Nokia such as:
- iSilo: install HTML docs and read them in MocroB
- SplashID - Figured out how to import into PassWord Safe.
- HandBase ??? Still working on that
- Oxford Catholic Study Bible - I have the whole text in HTML and use MicroB. Can't search from top to bottom though so I still use GVM.
- Ambo - daily Mass readings. This actually syncs well in GVM so I use the GVM.
- PIM data? Well using the GVM for PIM stat is tough. Boot up takes time. Starting the GVM takes more time and the screen layout makes reading the screen a pain. That's a lot of overhead to quickly record an appointment or phone number. Better option for me was to struggle with not syncing all PIM data easily and use native applications like GPE. So when the GVM didn't sync my PIM data, I ignored it.

Maybe I need to get used to leaving the tablet on all day rather than turning it on/off all the time.

Hope this answers your question.

Is the GVM a failure? Probably not if it's only a stop gap!

Frank

To FGol,

Could you describe exactly how you were able to export/import your records. When I tried, the tablet wouldn't recognize the file formats. (.aba, .dba)

Thanks.
The aba, dba forms only work within the Palm Desktop. The contacts data can be exported to more useful forms like CSV or vCard. The trick is knowing whatever forms can be imported. For GPE suite I was able to use vCal for appointments and vcf for contacts. I forget if the PalmDesktop exports contacts in a friendly enough way but what I did was sync once to a different PIM program on my PC with "handheld overwrites desktop" set. You could sync to Outlook or if you have a Linux setup sync to JPilot or Evolution. The latter two can export to industry standard formats. Outlook can export to text but then you have to change everything to vCal or VCF form. PFE is a handy PC text editor to automate repetitive tasks.

Then I imported the data directly into GPE PIM suite. An other option is to set up a Google calendar, import the appointments, and sync them to GPE Calendar via Erminig.

Is it a pain in the neck? Yes....
Frank

l have tried HotSync with OSX, but it isn't working. After reading the posts i think the problem has to do with the network option, but i can't find it. Any ideas?
Thanks.

Posts: 76 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Long Island NY
I also cannot hotsync - installed hotsync manager on laptop - see icon for it in tray - pinged laptop from N810 but when I hit start hotsync I get unknown host.

FYI this is over wifi and I tried hostname and ip

Posts: 112 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Victoria, BC
I don't know what I am doing right, but the hotsync works for me. I set it all up with a clean instll of GVM and a new user name. I make sure that it is set up to "network" with the ip address and all that. I also make sure everything is running and that the hotsync is in the system tray,etc. Sometimes I have to restart the Palm desktop, and I get a "connection lost" error at the end of the hotsync, but calendar, memo and contacts get updated. This is version 4.1.4 of Palm Desktop running on Windows XP.

Anybody know if hotsync works with Linux, specifically with J-Pilot?

Tags
garnet, palm