Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
So you mean the hardware upgrade is going to come sooner than that?
Well if that is true..... i am a little happier.
!

I never said that.

I am getting out of the teasing business. It doesn't pay, the hours are long, and people guess funny.

Originally Posted by igor View Post
OMAP is no x86
I have absolutely no technical knowledge when it comes to processor models, you know these things much better than I do. I just meant the general push towards processors being as fast as possible isn't the whole picture, as mobile devices have size and battery considerations as well.

For example if they could make something that worked like the N810 but in an ultra-slim ultra-small package with the same size screen but no border around it, I bet that would increase sales more than a processor upgrade. Small size would have appeal even to non-technical people and casual users, and it would make the tablet far more "sexy" even if it didn't actually add any functionality.

Last edited by krisse; 2008-03-28 at 22:22.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
...which i think hints at the cpu upgrade coming with the omap3 chips.
As the General has already posted, Texrat has previously confirmed that, as much as that smirking rat ever confirms anything. Texrat has also previously made clear that the WiMAX tablet wouldn't bring any real surprises. The following tablet though, he felt would forcibly remove our stockings.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
If CPUs only got more powerful at the cost of power usage, then we'd need small nuclear reactors to run modern machines at the power efficiencies of 70s "PCs".
You mean like this (and following)?

Posts: 198 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by krisse View Post
I have absolutely no technical knowledge when it comes to processor models, you know these things much better than I do. I just meant the general push towards processors being as fast as possible isn't the whole picture, as mobile devices have size and battery considerations as well.
That's not generally true. What i meant saying that OMAP is no x86 is that Intel has generated this false idea that running a processor at high frequency _has_ to turn it into a small stove. Of course there are heat problems, but certain architectures are much better suited than others to deal with them. OMAP3 for example is highly partitioned and provides a good granularity for switching off or at least keeping in clock stop mode those modules that are not actively used.

Originally Posted by krisse View Post
For example if they could make something that worked like the N810 but in an ultra-slim ultra-small package with the same size screen but no border around it, I bet that would increase sales more than a processor upgrade. Small size would have appeal even to non-technical people and casual users, and it would make the tablet far more "sexy" even if it didn't actually add any functionality.
Well, unless olographic displays or head-mounted displays become common, a large screen is still necessary to comfortably browse the net. Same goes for the keyboard. It can be done, but then the definition of internet tablet would hardly apply.

The Following User Says Thank You to igor For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by igor View Post
That's not generally true. What i meant saying that OMAP is no x86 is that Intel has generated this false idea that running a processor at high frequency _has_ to turn it into a small stove.
All I meant was that higher processor speeds mean more power consumption. If you can slow the processor down, the battery will last longer, which is how some mobile phones manage to save a lot of power.

I wasn't trying to start a serious debate as I'm really not qualified to discuss processors, I was just trying to raise the points about battery life and physical size being just as important as speed and perhaps more so.

a large screen is still necessary to comfortably browse the net.
Absolutely, but the border around the screen is not needed, and neither is the thickness behind it.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
The following tablet though, he felt would forcibly remove our stockings.
Indeed. I recommend not wearing any.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Indeed. I recommend not wearing any.
When? is the question. But dont bother i know you cant answer that.

Some border around the screen is necessary, as I don't want my screen being broken. Bezels FTW!

I think everybody already knows it, but I found this in the description of OMAP3:

Software-compatible with OMAP™ 2 processors

Does it mean the transition to the next generarion tablet is gonna be a lot easier than N770 - N8xx?