Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Syncing isn't happening like that folks. Ovi is pretty much the direction Nokia is going, and that's device to online service to device.

There's nothing to say that one device might not have the ability via some OSS/commercial software to play host in a capacity so that syncing is a mere illusion of what folks think of it now. For things like that, it will be more individual users doing this instead of the greater majority of users.

Believe it or not, most folks don't sync (still). Its really interesting but a fact of mobile life that companies still haven't quite understood enough to change.

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
<snip>
Believe it or not, most folks don't sync (still). Its really interesting but a fact of mobile life that companies still haven't quite understood enough to change.
Heck most people don't make backups.
PLEASE use the Wiki

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by gemniii42 View Post
Heck most people don't make backups.
even those that should know better...

i guess there is a reason why apple and microsoft have rolled out solutions as more and more personal data is stored in digital form only (not that any of them have performed flawlessly tho).

i find myself taking irregular backups on my tablet however.

maybe its because its a near "one button" task, and that its written to a media thats removable yet always present.

Posts: 259 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Halifax, NS
Originally Posted by macr0t0r View Post
The iTouch is actually not that popular. It's inability to use a BT connection to a phone or keyboard is a pretty annoying limitation (apparently some customers discover this AFTER they bought it). The iPhone, however, is taking the world by storm, it seems. My bus-ride to work is full of iPhones, yet there are only two of us with N8X0 tablets. The iPhone is sexy and ALL-IN-ONE. That is what a customer sees and understands in the 10 minutes they hold it.
With the raging success in that avenue leads to loads of developer support, which feeds back into the product. This is why the Apple hype machine is so valuable!

Consider 2 apps: Evernote and iSilo. Is there any chance in the world that they will show up natively on the tablets? Actually where are the commercial apps at all? I can think of NoteCase Pro, but that's all I come up with.

Being a cutting edge development platform could play right into Nokia's hands. Android might ruin this advantage soon. I had great hopes of Access GVM turning into something big but I think Access dropped the ball on that.

access was working on their gvm for use with next gen palm devices before nokia came along with the tablet, it just provided with a perfect testbed for its potential flexibility.

and the iphone and touch use a variant of osx. i would hazard a guess that porting between osx and the touch is mostly about latering the ui, similar to hildonizing a gtk app for the tablet.

Posts: 259 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Halifax, NS
Originally Posted by tso View Post
...perfect testbed for its potential flexibility.
This is the ideal tablet selling point! The perfect testbed can also be the perfect end user delivery device, if handled right.

Originally Posted by BoxOfSnoo View Post
This is the ideal tablet selling point! The perfect testbed can also be the perfect end user delivery device, if handled right.
with "its" i was referring to gvm, not the tablet...

in that access had here a linux based device with a nice screen size to show of gvm on. and if the tablet can run gvm, and give the user the sense that he is using a palm device running garnet, then nothing should stop palm or others from deploying linux based devices (access already has a linux platform in the works for that kind of use iirc) with gvm on top to allow access to the existing palmos collection of software.

this has been the holy grail of palm and access for quite a while now, ever since palmos started showing signs of age, and the followup didnt take of from lack of backwards compatiblity...

palm have been toying with the linux idea for years. they even cancled the foleo so that they didnt need to support two independent linux solutions...

sadly it seems that palm cant get its ducks in a row beyond releasing windows based treos...

While I didn't read through all of the comments and thus may be repeated the thoughts of someone else, I tether my n810 to my tmobile blackberry and thus am connected whenever I want. At the time of my purchase, Itouch does not do this. This was actually the deciding factor for me...

Do you tether your tablet to a blackberry? Vote for Nokia to fix the DUN bug so your mobile connectivity experience improves.

it's interesting to see the posts in this topic - how nokia can ride the opensource line without getting burned or just flat out failing.

from a hardware side i think it is very exciting.

from a software side... i would fear android.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by tso View Post
even those that should know better...

i guess there is a reason why apple and microsoft have rolled out solutions as more and more personal data is stored in digital form only (not that any of them have performed flawlessly tho).

i find myself taking irregular backups on my tablet however.

maybe its because its a near "one button" task, and that its written to a media thats removable yet always present.
Having a backup means little to nothing.

The number of redundancy, the importance of the data, the location of the data, the reliability/durability of the storage format, the matter of secrecy/privacy, those are factors to be taken into account.

Modern computers have also lacked the feature of redunancy on computers like later versions of ODS/Files-11 has.

However, I don't have a backup of my /usr or /etc directories on my tablet. If those die, I probably don't have a NIT anymore. In the case I destroy my filesysyem I'd have to reinstall, and most stuff (user generated content) is manually backed up on a fileserver with hardware RAID and offsite backups on 2 different locations. Overkill though.

In general, a simple cronned rsync is your friend.

Speaking of filesystems, there is some research here and there on the next flash-based filesystems; follow-ups on JFFS. Saw something about this on Kerneltrap.org recently...