Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Today there have been many news, and one of the most significant is http://qt.gitorious.org/maemo-6-ui-framework

Yes, it's pure source code. The foundation of the concepts shown by Janne Heikkinen this morning.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
I am not impressed with its UI :\
Hell, I like to have many desktops!
Although I like it being totally open sourced

Edit: Enabling ("Show your signature")
Please don't consider any given "Thanks" by this user as a positive sign of grateful; as a leak of giving "-Thanks" is a leaked feature here. You might be rewarded by meaningless "Thanks" by this user.
-Thanks for your understanding

Last edited by f(x); 2009-10-09 at 19:58.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Are you understanding these UI concepts? Because they are based on the existance of "many desktops". You have a big canvas and you can scroll horizontally (like Maemo 5 does) and vertically as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 369 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Virginia
You kids and your UI needs. If you were real men you'd be happy with a green-on-black console.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hogwash For This Useful Post:
Also today's release is actually not open source, but a technology preview e.g. http://qt.gitorious.org/maemo-6-ui-f...master/LICENSE

But don't be confused, these components will have an open source license as soon as we start developing them openly. What we have done today is basically a code drop for platform developers and anybody interested in this toolkit on top of Qt.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Are you understanding these UI concepts? Because they are based on the existance of "many desktops". You have a big canvas and you can scroll horizontally (like Maemo 5 does) and vertically as well.
I need to read thru the docs, but if there is gesture and position control to this, then this is the kind of UI that sci-fi movies are made of.

I probably don't need to look though, my N97 ain't getting this platform, and I'm a bugger for things I can dream/see and can't have :P

The source code is there to proof that this is no sci-fi.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
The source code is there to proof that this is no sci-fi.
Hey any ideas on when a maemo 6 device will show up ? Any rough estimate? Will it be definittely by late 2010 or 2011?
thanks.

Originally Posted by Hogwash View Post
You kids and your UI needs. If you were real men you'd be happy with a green-on-black console.
First thing, Don't think I am kinda in love with UI things,however I consider them a bounce to get your job done faster!.
I even don't have a gdm autostarted and I do start it when I need too (/usr/sbin/gdm -nodeamon) , the same goes for (dhcpcd) and others. So don't talk a garbage like that unless you know me.
Also your generalizing wasn't appreciated

Well here are few screen-shots of my current desktop to get you a better idea of how I do prefer my desktop to looks like.

(Please notice that this screenshots were taken from a closed down system , so I had to start few things to get you better idea in the way I use [I usually having 2 websites running on 2 desktops , 1 PDF , 1 with many applications running] and it changes according to the way it fits me)

From these pictures It looks like it going to kill the desktops feature (Which you can consider it a backward step and not what I was excepting out of step5). However, if the desktops feature is available than I am cool with it.

Edit: As I can't seem to find the reverse of thanks you can consider from now on my 'Thanks' as a negative thing (More of "-Thanks")
Edit2: Enabling ("Show your signature")
Please don't consider any given "Thanks" by this user as a positive sign of grateful; as a leak of giving "-Thanks" is a leaked feature here. You might be rewarded by meaningless "Thanks" by this user.
-Thanks for your understanding

Last edited by f(x); 2009-10-09 at 19:57.

Posts: 229 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sacramento, California
I'm personally turned off that the N900 isn't even really out and Nokia is already pushing Maemo 6. It really is a device that should be ignored and not purchased since it's just a stepping stone to the next OS.

I would imagine that Nokia would actually like to sell some N900 units. So, why are they sending the feeling that they aren't really interested in Maemo 5 and have already moved on? I bet they want us to feel that things are moving forward, but in my mind, I'm being left behind.