Notices

Posts: 64 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Cambridge/London
The preproduction n900 loan model comes with a 'working' copy that has navigation. Driving and walking options. Though the driving option is the assumption, the default.

With wifi on it comes close to finding your location in under 30 seconds. It seemed to think it knew where I was as soon as it loaded.

I say close as presently it 'thinks' I'm either in the Institute of Education or off Endsleigh Street...mainly opting for the former. I'm a block over though on Malet Street though.

The ovi maps on the n900 doesn't seem to recognise pedestrian routes though. (Telling me it would take 6 minutes to get to where I am, and stating it's version Ovi Maps 1.00. And yes there seems to be no voice directions like in version 3 that I installed on my e71 (with subscription) until my 3 phone decided I didn't want to go back to the bar with the costumed bar tenders and deleted the installation!)

It would be interesting to see if there is an alternative and more relaible server to the Nokia aGPS one set as default.

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
I also didn't realize that the ovi maps on the N900 would be stripped-down. In fact, i headed on over to maemo.org after reading the N900 preview and checking out what the complete Ovi maps can do. A good map app with downloadable maps is essential for my use and without it i'll have to pass on the N900.

I've heard a lot about gmapper(?). What are the other mapping apps capable of?

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 106 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Chicago/D.C./Katowice
i was under the impression that voice navigation will never come to maemo5 due to lack of drm?? is this correct?

edit : i don't mind paying for navi

Last edited by UCOMM; 2009-10-19 at 16:09.

Howdy, been a long-time lurker here, several years in fact. I've been seriously interested in the N900 since I first heard about it, but this is a bit of a killer for me. I use Ovi Maps 3 on my N95 8gb and find it to be the best gps app I've tried (amongst TomTom, Garmin, Sygic, CoPilot, etc etc).

I'm also into Openstreetmap, but without a proper gps navigation app I'm afraid that almost certainly rules me out of purchasing the N900.

I love the o/s and the h/w (especially the resistive screen since I ride a motorcycle) and the combination of large high-res resistive screen is what's really drawn me to it, but right now I'm thinking I might as well just get the i8910 and put up with the capacitive screen because I already have the apps and it already has top spec h/w and a good high-res screen (compared to the N95).

This is really sickening me because I do want the N900, I'm a total linux-head and want that o/s, but for me proper maps are the killer feature and if they aren't available and there's no indication of when they will be fully featured then I have no choice but to avoid.

Note that I've already waited years for a device like this, I've been putting off buying an i8910 since they came out and have actually cancelled orders twice because of the rumours of the N900, but I need a bigger screened device now and just can't wait any longer, especially not for Nokia/Ovi trying to get their act together. Absolutely gutted

Posts: 268 | Thanked: 304 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Orlando, USA
Originally Posted by Dexter1759 View Post
Currently, what is the best SatNav solution for the N900 then?
don't know. I am sure it will be a while before Google Maps for Maemo 5 comes out.

can someone port gnuite's amazing Maemo-Mapper to the N900?

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
I also didn't realize that the ovi maps on the N900 would be stripped-down. In fact, i headed on over to maemo.org after reading the N900 preview and checking out what the complete Ovi maps can do. A good map app with downloadable maps is essential for my use and without it i'll have to pass on the N900.

I've heard a lot about gmapper(?). What are the other mapping apps capable of?
Its not stripped, it is everything that could be scraped together within schedule. How many s60 programs there are that are ported to maemo? I thought so....

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by UCOMM View Post
i was under the impression that voice navigation will never come to maemo5 due to lack of drm?? is this correct?
It's why any program using Google's map data (which is not their data) is disallowed turn-by-turn voice navigation capability: part of the contract to avoid competing with other products.

There's no reason a program based on Openstreetmaps can't give voice instructions, nor a program that is licensed for that purpose.

Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
Its not stripped, it is everything that could be scraped together within schedule. How many s60 programs there are that are ported to maemo? I thought so....
I'll quote from http://maemo.nokia.com/n900/:
Integrated A-GPS

Find your position quickly and accurately with the built-in Assisted-GPS receiver. The Nokia N900 works seamlessly with Ovi Maps to give you the quickest available route as you make your way from A to B.

* Assisted-GPS receiver
* Ovi Maps pre-installed
That borders on fraudulent false advertising if they don't actually provide the "Ovi Maps" program as described on the Ovi maps page. I don't think i'm being delusional here. This is extremely disappointing.

Last edited by Flandry; 2009-10-19 at 15:32.

The Following User Says Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by archebyte View Post
don't know. I am sure it will be a while before Google Maps for Maemo 5 comes out.
There is no need of a Google maps app, since Maemo 5 got a good browser.

But with google maps you can't navigate. I hope Ovi Maps will get improved. I think so, because N900 is Nokias high end device and with Ovi Maps navigation they earn money. Nokia would suck otherwise :P

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Free (as in beer), voice guided navigation provided by Nokia via Ovi Maps is unrealistic. They invested a lot of money in Ovi Maps.

Google Maps on iPhone is much more than a simple application without routing. It actually _does_ support routing. I'm not sure about Google Maps for S60 (a Java ME application IIRC) though since I use Sygic there.

Originally Posted by munky261 View Post
Might it be possible to use the same version of navicore on the N900 that I have on my N810 (.377) since I have the deb?
That is an interesting question. Check the binaries to see if it uses any dynamic libraries. The standard command is a script which executes the actual binary. Run ldd or file over them to check out. I thought it was all static, because its basically a S60 port.

Posts: 268 | Thanked: 304 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Orlando, USA
Originally Posted by BillyBobski View Post
Note that I've already waited years for a device like this, I've been putting off buying an i8910 since they came out and have actually cancelled orders twice because of the rumours of the N900, but I need a bigger screened device now and just can't wait any longer, especially not for Nokia/Ovi trying to get their act together. Absolutely gutted
Don't give up hope just yet

The picture will get clearer in a couple of months when the devices start getting in people's hands. I would be very surprised if Ovi doesn't release N900 support at least on their desktop suite in the immediate term.

Tags
navigation, ovi