Damn it, after noticing the crack between headphone socket and USB port the other day I now notice there is another crack running horizontally under the mic hole. Kind of annoying on a device I have tried my hardest to keep in nice condition. Still, as long as the damn thing still works.

Posts: 207 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Texas
Originally Posted by Simon
Damn it, after noticing the crack between headphone socket and USB port the other day I now notice there is another crack running horizontally under the mic hole. Kind of annoying on a device I have tried my hardest to keep in nice condition. Still, as long as the damn thing still works.
It is looking more and more like a manufacturing defect .

Must be the plastic material that the bottom is made of. Wonder if it is any other than the casing itself, or if it is that it should have been much softer material, to allow the snap-on to be "non-cracking" (weird sentence, it is 00:24 here in Sweden, so please bear with me...

I have the bottom plastic split in 2 pieces and chipped off at 2 places, not pretty.

This is really a case of the "crack of doom". Seems like they replaced that with the "white screen of death" on the newer h/w instead

I would be pleased to have a snap-on sent to me, since it split I saw how simple it was to unsnap and re-snap it.

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Aloha, OR
I've had my 770 since May. I noticed the crack between the USB and the head phone jack started about two weeks ago. It's clearly visible now. The USB jack has been used twice to flash the unit. The other jack has never been used.
Looks like a mfg defect to me.

This is so common it's funny. I don't even think there is a point to going through the stress of dealing with their horrid callcentre to arrange repairs (if they don't accuse you of dropping it) as it's more than likely just going to crack again. I'd be waiting until a couple of months is left on the warranty and hopefully by then the repair would actually rectify a known problem. But that's just me, and anyway I'm popping my 770 on ebay shortly, I don't want to have to go through Nokia support ever again.

Hey men!
I just looked at mine and guess what, it's got the same thin crack at exactly the same place you have described, between the mic hole and the USB port. It's a bit curved and yet not a problem, looks like when the plastic does not cool-off all right in the manufacturing process... something to definitely check out in Nokia 780.
I pray it does not grow!
8=|

Guys, I called the call center and I was on the phone maybe 5 minutes. Just tell them that this is a known problem, and it's a manufacturing defect. They will ask you to send it to their facility in Texas. I did it, and it took about a week or two, but I had a brand new 770 tablet without a crack. Seriously, quit complaining and send it in. Believe it or not, they won't try to blame it on you.

Originally Posted by spiderx
Believe it or not, they won't try to blame it on you.
It has happened and was discussed in another post on here. However it sounds like the support centres in the US are better than those in the UK if that is all you have been through.

I reported it as a hardware bug. I will upload photos later...
My suggestion is that Nokia will send out hardware replacements for the bottom cover in a softer plastic since it is so easy to replace yourself.

/R

Mine has a hairline crack between the USB port and the headphone port as well. I spotted it just a day or two after buying it, after reading about the cracking here or on some other 770 page. Definitely seems to happen to quite a few 770's out there; personal guess would be just about all of them.