Active Topics

just want to ask...is it safe? checking your bank account online using the n900 or buying something on an online retail store?

No more or less hazardous than doing it on your desktop. All of the encryption is the same.

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
yeh i use my n900 to pay bills and serach for stuff. its handy i payed my t-mobile bill on the last day using my n900 hehe.

The Following User Says Thank You to Viny For This Useful Post:
Posts: 52 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Montreal, Canada
I use paypal/ebay a lot, website itself has their own login security progams.

The n900 acts like a laptop/desktop. That's why I love this phone more than a laptop!!!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to phyneex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 27 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ By the swamp
My bank's website points out with an annoyingly-coloured bar on the side if the built-in check considers the browser unsafe... It didn't and recognised it correctly, so they've checked it. All the normal crypto bells and whistles are there, more important is not to use an open public WLAN as a packet sniffer can pick up the traffic, but as it's encrypted, it won't really pay off for anyone to eavesdrop, especially if your bank uses a key number/phrase list for authentication.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kurare For This Useful Post:
Posts: 110 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Moon
just remember to enable phone lock so you have to enter pin code.
many sites, emails etc have our passwords stored so if you lose your phone whoever finds it will have access to the lot, with pin you protected.
it does gets on my neveres to enter pin all the time but better safe than sorry.

The Following User Says Thank You to Croc For This Useful Post:
Just don't do it over public wireless connections, such as webcafes. Somebody could have set up fake access point in order to snoop your info or intercept connection.

The Following User Says Thank You to PortaDiFerro For This Useful Post:
okay, public wireless connections - check

last question... 3g or your own wifi is much preferred over some free shady public wifi?

thanks for all the replies guys

Posts: 78 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Norway
Probably safer then on a windows machine, less viruses and **** on linux

But yeah, stick to 3g or your own wifi.

The Following User Says Thank You to Cernunnos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 194 | Thanked: 207 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bristol, UK
Originally Posted by Croc View Post
just remember to enable phone lock so you have to enter pin code.
many sites, emails etc have our passwords stored so if you lose your phone whoever finds it will have access to the lot, with pin you protected.
it does gets on my neveres to enter pin all the time but better safe than sorry.
... unfortunatly ... thanks to a number of numpties having forgotten their pins ... there are fairly easy instructions on this site about how to get around the pin problem ... so I wouldn't trust that too much!

The Following User Says Thank You to EmmaGx For This Useful Post: