Originally Posted by aegis View Post
Who invented this? [the tiny status bar]
I think it was invented here*. In their defence, everything was tiny then.

* Actually, invented way before that, but it was the best image I found quickly :P

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I have to take my glasses off to read the tiny icons in a status bar.
Then say what you mean and complain about small icons. Claiming that one set of visuals is compatible with gestures while another one is not sounds like looking for excuses to justify your personal aesthetic preferences and trying to give them an "objective" status.

I have to take my glasses off to see anything on my Jolla. Typing an email or a text message is a torture. The letters are so tiny it is impossible to do it on the move. The status bar icons and fonts are much, much bigger than that. Even I can actually read them.

we're cluttering up the UI with noise.
That again sounds like trying to sell your own preferences. "It's ugly" sounds so much more objective than "I don't like it", right?
What noise? You do not get anything extra that you would not have had before. The only difference is that, instead of the icons being scattered all over the screen, they are now in one line. If anything, it looks less cluttered to me than before, not more.

But why are we discussing the damn status bar anyway? Is that really the most important thing in the universe? How about things that really matter, like copy&paste or a miriad of other issues reported on TJC and ignored for two years?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
I have to take my glasses off to read the tiny icons in a status bar. They're utterly useless irritating little wastes of space spamming up my phone or tablet. I've 14 of the little buggers at the top of this tablet's screen now and there's only 4 that I know for sure what they are.
14?? Just out of curiosity I'd love to see a screenshot of that!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 243kof For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by 243kof View Post
14?? Just out of curiosity I'd love to see a screenshot of that!
I'm on my phone at the moment but it's similar.

https://goo.gl/photos/UX7WYKvJTJC2frx38

I think there's only 12 because that's all that fits.

The Following User Says Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Then say what you mean and complain about small icons. Claiming that one set of visuals is compatible with gestures while another one is not sounds like looking for excuses to justify your personal aesthetic preferences and trying to give them an "objective" status.
Exactly. If you want your status info offscreen accessible by a gesture, having them on screen some of the time *IS* incompatible with that aesthetic preference.

I have to take my glasses off to see anything on my Jolla. Typing an email or a text message is a torture. The letters are so tiny it is impossible to do it on the move. The status bar icons and fonts are much, much bigger than that. Even I can actually read them.
Well I can't. But I can read full screen statuses with my regular glasses on at distance which is exactly when I want to check the time or see if I've got an email or new message.

If anything, it looks less cluttered to me than before, not more.
A status bar with a dozen mini icons on it looks less cluttered than no status bar?

But why are we discussing the damn status bar anyway? Is that really the most important thing in the universe? How about things that really matter, like copy&paste or a miriad of other issues reported on TJC and ignored for two years?
Because this is a thread about changes introduced in 2.0?

There are plenty of things that really should be there in 2.0 too of course.

The Following User Says Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
A status bar with a dozen mini icons on it looks less cluttered than no status bar?
We don't have the Android status bar in Sailfish, and we don't have a dozen mini icons. I'd like to think they are not heading in that direction. Status bar is not just an Android thing, and having one doesn't mean it's going to be similar to Android's.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ssahla For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ssahla View Post
We don't have the Android status bar in Sailfish, and we don't have a dozen mini icons. I'd like to think they are not heading in that direction. Status bar is not just an Android thing, and having one doesn't mean it's going to be similar to Android's.
But it is already. 1 mini icon or 12; it doesn't matter. It's still omnipresent. It's a break from the 1.0 design down the path toward an Android-like design.

The purpose of the suggestion I made that it was configurable on or off, as well as the other gestures for swipes and edge swipes, was so that we're not locked in to an interaction model.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
But it is already. 1 mini icon or 12; it doesn't matter. It's still omnipresent. It's a break from the 1.0 design down the path toward an Android-like design.
I agree that the status bar is not the very best way forward, but it isn't omnipresent yet. Applications still have all the real estate.

Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
OK, I've manage to overcome my account problem, phone is updated to latest SW and I'm starting to sail. So far, one thing annoys me up to the point of giving up.........
Is there a way to go back from subpage/submenu or whatever it is called other than touching the dot in TOP LEFT corner?

The Following User Says Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 548 | Thanked: 562 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
Is there a way to go back from subpage/submenu or whatever it is called other than touching the dot in TOP LEFT corner?
Lol sure, just swipe the whole subpage to the right.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to willi6868 For This Useful Post: