Active Topics

Posts: 560 | Thanked: 423 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Switzerland
Hello all

Please have a look and vote for my new application ShipRolling.
It records and visualises the rolling of a ship.
I know it is not useful for everybody, but if you are once in a while on a ship (or sailing boat) and would like to how much the ship rolls, have a look on this application. It is also useful to measure when you get sea sick

The current verson (1.0.4) can be downloaded from http://maemo.org/packages/view/shiprolling/ and https://garage.maemo.org/projects/shiprolling/

Thank you for testing and your feedback
Attached Images

Last edited by caco3; 2010-06-30 at 23:59. Reason: Changed title

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to caco3 For This Useful Post:
Havent tried it yet but i will and it looks good

Does it only work on roll? no pitch or azimoth?

And i never get sea sick! :P

EDIT: Is that what x y and z means? (pitch roll az?)

Hi ironm8

x, y and z are indeed all 3 directions, but only the X/Z angle is shown in the graph.
If you rotate your phone 90 degrees, you can log the pitch (most people might not even know what that is

Posts: 1,169 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ sunderland
looks great, taking the ferry to amsterdam in a few weeks and the north sea is always rough!
id vote but dont know how to, wiki says something about thumbs up, but dont tell me where to find that, and i cant see it in the 2 above links?

Posts: 299 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Singapore
What will it do on a rollercoaster ride?
MobiTifo (which was formerly known as QSportsEvent) - Sports leagues tracking (mainly football).

The Following User Says Thank You to magnuslu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 543 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
I'm currently playing with the accelometer values to detect a shaking of the device and I installed your application only to see how the values are changing on a graph. Not useful for me (living in the south of germany, far away from the sea) but as far as I can see it is working great!

Just for you to get some feedback... WELL DONE!

Mmh... ...where can I get now a cruising yacht and some water under it to play with this gread looking application...

The Following User Says Thank You to helex For This Useful Post:
Curious to see how this behaves on a plane. Quality control for pilots!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JonWW For This Useful Post:
Posts: 543 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
Oh, strange. It seems to don't read the correct values from the Accelometers... it reads mostly the same values and fluctuates around the same values. x:0 y:0 z:1000 and all values +/- 50. How do you read from the accelometers?

When I use the file "/sys/class/i2c-adapter/i2c-3/3-001d/coord" I got correct values depending how I hold the device.

Hi Helex
When do you read wrong values?
In which application?
I read the sensor several times in a row and then take the average. This helped to get more accurate values which are not jumping as much (smoothing).
There is a good example for python in the wiki.
Also there are other applications (AccDisplay or libqacceltests) which visualise the acceleration better than shipsrolling.

The Following User Says Thank You to caco3 For This Useful Post:
it could have be sooo useful to me 2 years back while i was landing helo's on battleships! my own small envalop finder!
anyways, i went to my friends speedboat yesterday afternoon and it worked spotlessly! GREAT JOB!