Active Topics

I posted about Ring earlier:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=97097
It seems like a possible alternative to Skype.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ginggs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Skype has got numerous several in-built flaws; including but not limited to:
  • closed protocol that allows owners to spy on your messages & conversations
  • closed application that allow owners to run unknown and potentially evil functionality on your devices
  • policy of the owners to ban IP addresses at will, for example known TOR entry points
That may be the case, but as far as I am concerned, it also has one built-in advantage: everyone I know uses it.

As far as they are concerned, the advantages are the ease of use and the richness of features. As far as I am aware, there is no other single tool that combines all the features of Skype in a single product.

The whole point of a communication tool is... communication. What is the point of having a super-duper communication tool and no one to communicate with?

Lastly, the very example of Yet Another Free Tool that no one ever uses, already at least the fourth only since I joined this forum in 2012, shows how short-lived those are. All my friends, relatives and work relations have been using Skype for well over 15 years. Show me a single open-source product that has been in popular use for at least 10% of that period.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 680 | Thanked: 1,227 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mbabane
I wonder what makes others think N900 will be spared. . It sounds to me like the protocol is changing in one way or other. We're stuck with a Skype blob, and have no hope of getting it updated.Being Linux does not mean we will receive any further support. They will obviously support their new Linux client, but I don't think that means they will revive their old Linux clients (including N900 client).

Pity that SIP/XMPP couldn't get to the masses

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sicelo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 104 | Thanked: 228 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ Poland
Skype seamless integration into N-series was a great feature and served for over 4 years without any significant updates.

Funny thing, when features & accounts stop working one by one, it reminds me of Blade Runner movie. I feel like Rick Deckard in the final 'Tears in rain' monologue scene and N9 is like a Replicant with all it's power and unfortunate expiration date... I'm asking myself, is my N9 a dying Roy Batty, or maybe immortal Rachael : )

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to prosper For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by prosper View Post
unfortunate expiration date...
And there you have why some of us are allergic to 3rd party network services (and 1st party, fwiw), _specially_ when "everyone else uses them".

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
And there you have why some of us are allergic to 3rd party network services (and 1st party, fwiw), _specially_ when "everyone else uses them".
I would go for something a little bit more secure, and at least open-sourced - Telegram. Its users growth is significant and exceeded 100M
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94503&page=7
Having at least one working service of this kind on my N9 would be great. We already have Google Hangouts working, but that's uncertain in the long run.

The Following User Says Thank You to prosper For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 680 | Thanked: 1,227 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mbabane
Telegram is not a replacement for Skype as it does not do calls (voice or audio).

How do you have Hangouts working on N900?

The Following User Says Thank You to sicelo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sicelo View Post
Telegram is not a replacement for Skype as it does not do calls (voice or audio).
Here's the official statement:
"We may enable voice calls if we see significant demand in the future. The technology necessary for encrypted calls has indeed been created in our R&D dungeons."

How do you have Hangouts working on N900?
https://openrepos.net/content/hamedr...ssenger-plugin

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to prosper For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
I would go for something a little bit more secure, and at least open-sourced -
Nitpick: you're basically just delaying the problem. Telegram is also centralized and thus has an expiration date. So you'll never see me recommending it as an alternative.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
I would go for something a little bit more secure, and at least open-sourced - Telegram. Its users growth is significant and exceeded 100M
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94503&page=7
Having at least one working service of this kind on my N9 would be great. We already have Google Hangouts working, but that's uncertain in the long run.
sadly it's not about the alternative, we may will be forced to use it but our relations will have no reason to add more chat service just to add 'n9/n900 users', almost all my family, friends, work relation are on whatsapp + BBM, just saying, but really i dont want to see a lonely meego/harmattan.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ibrakalifa For This Useful Post: