Posts: 602 | Thanked: 735 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Nantes, France
Hi,
The Jolla phone can benefit from its Alien Dalvik layer to run Android offline maps apps (Here, Sygic, etc).

But, SFOS is being ported to many devices (there are people on working with FairPhone to run SFOS on the FP2), and when this happens, this is without Alien Dalvik.

There are some initiatives to get some SFOS maps apps (I think of PoorMaps and ModRana essentially). Those applications are great, but do not support offline maps (or in the very unfriendly way), probably because there are developed with very limited resources (for example I think only MartinK works on ModRana, but correct me if I'm wrong).

Recently Maps has got Open Source. It's available on Android and iOS stores, seems to be written with Qt and support offline maps "out of the box".

I know working on a software you didn't wrote is not a simple thing. But I dream of MartinK and Otsaloma (the person behind PoorMaps) joining their efforts to port Maps on SFOS. I'm even ready to financially support such an effort.

Am I alone?

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
You mean this?

Yes @pichlo. But this thread is SFOS specific (ModRana for example runs on N900, etc). Creating such a thread here is a good way to see how many SFOS users would be interested.

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by romu View Post
But this thread is SFOS specific
??? That thread is also SFOS specific...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Sorry, my bad English. I mean this thread, not the one in the Applications section. I think, and may be wrong, that SFOS users are more on the SFOS section than on the Applications one.

But if everybody disagree with this thread, no problem, I'll delete it. It's just there is not real participation on the other one.

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
(for example I think only MartinK works on ModRana, but correct me if I'm wrong).
This is correct - there are some contributions from time to time & lot of feedback from time to time (thanks to everyone involved!). But I still do write most of the code myself. Anyone is or course welcome to contribute though.

I know working on a software you didn't wrote is not a simple thing. But I dream of MartinK and Otsaloma (the person behind PoorMaps) joining their efforts to port Maps on SFOS.
Or maybe rather than doing another monolitic navigation up the functionality provided by the project (offline routing, offline map rendering, offline address search, etc.) could be split to postable & language agnostic modules/daemons/utilities that existing and future navigation systems (such as modRana and Poor Maps) could make use of ?

Maps is hardly the first open source offline navigation app, but so far most of them (for example Navit and partially Monav) have been big monoliths that did not provide any means of using the functionality from outside of the "primary" application.

An example of something like this could be the monav-light project. I basically took the Monav-app-for-Sailfish-OS codebase and (using my very basic C++ coding skills, QtCreator and a lot of Stack Overflow)removed all code (UI, etc.) not needed for offline routing. The result is a tiny portable binary that accepts a routing request specification in JSON and returns the resulting route (if any) as JSON on standard output.

Like this any application that can call binaries and generate/parse JSON can make use of the offline routing capabilities.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
??? That thread is also SFOS specific...
That's right:

maemo.org > Talk > OS / Platform > SailfishOS > Prayer for a good offline navigation app (this thread)
maemo.org > Talk > OS / Platform > SailfishOS > [Wishlist] Maps.me (openstreet most used app) have apache license now (the original)

I vote for a merge.

Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Or maybe rather than doing another monolitic navigation up the functionality provided by the project (offline routing, offline map rendering, offline address search, etc.) could be split to postable & language agnostic modules/daemons/utilities that existing and future navigation systems (such as modRana and Poor Maps) could make use of ?

Maps is hardly the first open source offline navigation app, but so far most of them (for example Navit and partially Monav) have been big monoliths that did not provide any means of using the functionality from outside of the "primary" application.

An example of something like this could be the monav-light project. I basically took the Monav-app-for-Sailfish-OS codebase and (using my very basic C++ coding skills, QtCreator and a lot of Stack Overflow)removed all code (UI, etc.) not needed for offline routing. The result is a tiny portable binary that accepts a routing request specification in JSON and returns the resulting route (if any) as JSON on standard output.

Like this any application that can call binaries and generate/parse JSON can make use of the offline routing capabilities.
From what I've read about Maps is it just does Maps and not routing, so I guess adding routing would be awesome.

But let's make myself more clear. I've checked on the Google Play Store. MapsMe has been downloaded between 10 and 50 M times. So, I guess there is a pretty solid team behind which could deliver updates and features with a stronger pace, and offer a less isolated development environment for guys like you, commited on maps topics.

Plus, I could imagine having such a popular application available on SFOS could help making it a credible alternative to iOS/Android, and why not attract people to make SFOS more popular.

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
From what I've read about Maps is it just does Maps and not routing, so I guess adding routing would be awesome.
Yes it does routing too. Not sure if it is an offline source, though.

The Following User Says Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Thanks, that was not so clear (at least to me) on their web site.