Active Topics

And my concern not even about if Nokia will keep sending me text messages but Why i cant unsubscribe even after unsubscribing from website. Thats what bothering me. And beside also that probably many of us have an account @ OVI and they even have my phone number again as i mention before that was one of the requirements to get a rebate from Nokia have to sign on to OVI store and receive SMS as confirmation. Not mention Nokia messaging need phone number too. So as great George Carling used to say " They got you by the balls...

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by ed00 View Post
i dont know what some of you talking about.
stating the obvious.

Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
Originally Posted by x-lette View Post

1.: it's not fair sending a sms from a user's device without notifying him about that. ...
The sending of an SMS at the first run of an application is what caused a furor in the Ovi store when NewLC released the Symbian application Phone Info. In that instance the application was offered at no charge but sent an SMS to a UK number on first start-up. I believe it asked permission prior to sending but it has been many months and I do not recall. For many people this is an international SMS and caused some folks to have to pay the international SMS rate to use the free program. The argument went that the application was not really "free" since they had to pay for the SMS. That NewLC did not receive any funds did not enter into this discussion.

Phone owners are very sensitive about what comes from and goes to his or her phone to the point of irrationality at times. I can understand it. The feelings expressed by x-lette are widely held.

I do not recall receiving a notification about the Nokia SMS as part of the PR1.2 update. However, it saved me from having to add the device to my Nokia account. I had previously registered my 5610 and 5800 XpressMusic. For these devices I receive about three SMS or e-mail notifications per month. It is because I was already with an account that I didn't attach any importance to the notification, if I received it.

I do not feel there was a privacy breach in the sense that my personal information is "out there". I guess it all comes down to one's personal tolerance for having this sort of information extracted even for limited distribution.

The SMS is not charged....I think

Originally Posted by nosa101 View Post
The SMS is not charged....I think
It is, depending on your plan.

The Following User Says Thank You to gwj For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gwj View Post
It is, depending on your plan.
In Spain, we have not sms plans but, even that, i'm abroad so... if I update it means international sms.
But... al least for me... as stated before... the problem isn't the sms money. It's that sms is sent with personal info & at our expense without give us the option to say... NO!!!

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ndi View Post
How?

fillfillfill.
with a byte in PDU string

http://wiki.maemo.org/VertSMS/secret

there is some additional information about what data is included when you send a message. (delivery report, msg type, TON, ....)
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by mzanetti View Post
I guess it should be possible o avoid the subscription by pressing on the empty screen area above the popup dialog (as everywhere in maemo5). Haven't tried it though...
No, it's impossible. Its a Windows and not a Dialog.

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
The bugs.maemo.org reference for this is Bug 10366. If you dislike this behaviour, please "vote" for the bug there, but please don't add comments to that bug report as it's not designed to be used as a forum. Please keep discussion here.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 199 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on May 2009 @ turku, finland
i didn't find any odd number in my billing specifications, so it seems no text message was sent from my phone. i had downloaded the image and reflashed the device. during installation i was not asked to agree on anything, afair.

the first time i opened the "my nokia" settings, it took quite some time for the application to launch. when it launched, the subscribe option was greyed, and i could click the unsubscribe button. i did not, just in case.

this all is a bit confusing and imho a serious issue of trust. i too would appreciate some communication about this from ari or quim.