Notices

I got it to work!
I didn't notice that the system continued to put "enabled=false" in prefs.js even if I overwrite it >_>
Now it's ok, nice work!!!

Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
Originally Posted by fra83fra View Post
Problems here too, with AdBlock.
The extension is seen and activated just after installation, no problems at all, but the filter list is empty and I see all banners.
So I uploaded patterns.ini from my PC (overwriting a patterns.ini which was already here), edited the js script, and rebooted 2-3 times.
No luck, the list is still empty and it won't filter anything... pls help I really need adblock :'(
Same here. It just seems to do nothing.

Originally Posted by fra83fra View Post
I got it to work!
I didn't notice that the system continued to put "enabled=false" in prefs.js even if I overwrite it >_>
Now it's ok, nice work!!!
OK. so what is the workaround for the system continued to put "enabled=false" in prefs.js even if you overwrite it?

Originally Posted by horus View Post
Over 3000 downloads with a dozen or so complaints. Anything with less than 1% failure rates should not be considered problematic?
Well, I didn't say anything because I assumed the developer was already aware of the problems I was having (from the existing complaints). It could be that the addon does not work for a large proportion of users.

Posts: 246 | Thanked: 204 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Potsdam (Germany)
Hi,

I just want to clarify that it is not my intension to make the plugin itself or the contributer or the package maintainer bad with my initial post. I love the adblock plkugin and I'm sure I can get it work with a little tuning and the good descriptions from this board.

But I understood that the extras repository is a place for end users. User who don't be familiar with xterm and things like prefs.js or about:config to enable something. Also one of the core features of the extension is to select a bunch of filter rules as subscription. If microb does not allow me to do that a dialogue during the installation would be great. Or also a test site where I clearly can see if the plugin works or not.

Whatever, these points are nice to have and it would be a good idea to discuss these enhancements and also the bugs (also these ones which affect only a few users).

All I want is end user friendly software in extras. But if the community says AdblockPlus is already end user friendly please don't remove it. But than also think about "rules" like written down on this page: http://wiki.maemo.org/Extras-testing/QA_Checklist

Those "rules" are worthless if some of the applicatiions don't care about. There is a check list and I try to fill the form for AddblockPlus:

1. [ ] Bug database exist.
FAIL: no database exists and no database requested for bugs.maemo.org
2. [?] Licensing ok.
Don't kow much about this stuff but should be fine beacuse it also is an extension for other mozilla browsers
3. [x] No illegal/dubious content.
4. [?] Working provided features.
For "the main part of the community" yes. For me "no".
5. [ ] No missing announced features.
Most people know the feature set of adblock plus. For microb there are no features. Just install it and block the stuff already provided in the filter file.
6. [x] Optification ok.
7. [?] No performance problems.
See some postings above. There is somebody who thinks there could be issus.
8. [x] No power management issues.
9. [x] No known security risks.

The last point is that there are more than one possibility o install it. If I read the thread right you can install it using gthe application manager OR you can download it as normal plugin from mozilla.org and install it in this way. If both installations have the same result everything would be fine.

Ciao jukey

Me on twitter

I'm with Jukey on this. I'm probably what you would call an end user as I have hardly any experience with Xterm or Linux for that. I installed the one from the repository as one of the first things I did on my N900 as I regard the plugin for firefox on any pc i use as invaluable.
I had the same problems as lot of people where it was installed but unable to get any blocking lists setup. And then once I had researched it on here figured out that I had to get the latter 1.11 version as opposed to the 1.02 I had installed. This then led me to the problem that it won't uninstall. I've managed to get it removed now after someone pointed out what I had to do and with a little bit of geek intuition from myself.

Point is it doesn't work "out of the box", or repository as it were. And I'm pretty sure a lot more people will have this problem as I would imagine a LOT of people that own N900s don't post on here or even know about it. So I don't it should be there, yet at least

Not knocking the developer as kudos to him for his work and it may well be that the problems we are having are to do with Microb rather than the plugin itself.

Don't know if it's been mentioned on this thread already but there is another with users having problems here too: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=36548

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Morphic For This Useful Post: