Active Topics

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by RogerS View Post
Well, I'm a radical on this issue. I think "intellectual" property is as indefensible as "human" property, and I think copyright will be discarded, much as slavery was.
RogerS, you might be interested in the book "Against Intellectual Monopoly" by Michele Boldrin and David K. Levine. Somewhere online I found a download of the whole book as a .txt or .prc or something, but here it is as pdf.

(I don't agree with you or them, but I do think the patent and copyright periods should be much shorter. While commercial life has sped up since 1776, protection periods have gotten longer, which makes no sense. Unless you're a Disney shareholder. They should have gotten shorter.)

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
or just spend $50-$150 on a dedicated MP3 player that fully supports Audible already. Thus saving the 100's of hours wasted on conversion for a library. Plus a dedicated player will offer significantly better battery life saving the NIT's power for other uses.

Or better yet, get a copy of Goldwave or River Past Audio Converter (version 5.0) and convert those .aa files to mp3 files so you can play them anywhere, anytime. As a plus you can just play them on your Nxx and save yourself from spending $50-150 and carrying another device.

The Following User Says Thank You to MstPrgmr For This Useful Post:
Posts: 112 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Victoria, BC
Originally Posted by MstPrgmr View Post
Or better yet, get a copy of Goldwave or River Past Audio Converter (version 5.0) and convert those .aa files to mp3 files so you can play them anywhere, anytime. As a plus you can just play them on your Nxx and save yourself from spending $50-150 and carrying another device.
You can convert the .aa files to mp3, but there is still no player for the NXX that will play audiobooks (with bookmarking or resume function). I still carry my Zire 31 to play audiobooks.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
jldiaz made a script that resumes mplayer.

Posts: 112 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Victoria, BC
Thanks for the tip. I'm not sure though, that this is a solution I'll find handy. Manually typing in commands to operate a mp3 player is kind of counter to what you buy a tablet device for. If I get desperate I'll give it a try. The Zire 31 still works and is not too bulky to carry around. Unfortunately the sound from the N800 isn't loud enough through the earphones anyway.